Severe Insonmia. Need help.

Well, I just can't believe it. Nobody mentioned caffeine, I even searched the thread for the word. When I was your age I drank a lot of coffee, soft drinks and who knows what else that had caffeine in it. I often had the same problem falling asleep. You can start by cutting that out completely, not just cutting back. These days, I can't stay awake for more than five minutes in a hot bath. It's worth a try. When I go to bed I close my eyes and try to remember all the pleasant things I saw, heard or sometimes even smelled that day. A cute Cardinal singing his heart out in the morning, a brilliant blue sky while walking my dog, a cool mist on my face in the still night air and I give thanks for them. Then I try to think of people I know who have health problems and could use some help and I ask for it. I'm asleep before I can finish the list almost every night.

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, I do not consume caffeine on a regular basis. No coffee, coke, energy drinks, anything. My GI tract goes absolutely haywire with any sort of stimulant.

When I was tired I just... fought it.

Have you tried OTC melatonin?

Hello Doctor Bruce! Yes, I have tried melatonin, and the results have been mixed. Improved sleep sometimes, worse sleep sometime, and unpleasant dreams/REM sleep in others. Mixed bag. I’ve stopped it for now, or maybe I’ll get a lower dose.

It is very clear that the originator of this post is being subject to massive and disrupting psychological stress from multiple underlying stressors; and although I agree he should not be flying until he gets this under control I applaud his honesty and transparency in asking this question.

All proposed interventions are not dealing with the core problem... which somewhat ironically the pilot himself IS trying to do by escaping the stress in the first place.

I deal with clients with these issues all the time; and the emerging biotechnology that is now commercially available to help deal with this are peptides; which are naturally occurring endogenous regulator proteins that can help modulate physiological states such as the uncontrolled chronic stress response, and associated hyper-vigilance and insomnia that this person is currently experiencing.

Reducing as much social stress as is possible is the first step.

DSIP (delta sleep inducing peptide) is one such peptide that is well studied and proven to attenuate chronic stress response; and does so with NO pharmacological side effects, no grogginess, no loss of cognition or performance in any way... and as a non-pharmacological agent, I do not think (although verification would be suggested) that the FAA would consider it on any list of banned substance. It is taken bu injection three times per week; and is something tp consider for any pilot who finds himself in a similar situation.

A week or so into treatment most people just are much calmer; tyypically have better mental clarity and recall, and begin to sleep better without side effect.

Something to consider...

The best approach IMHO is stay away from sleep meds, get regular exercise, don’t eat heavy meals for 2 hrs prior to bedtime and have regular sex, not necessarily with your wife, one good multivit per day and you will live forever. Humans are not designed for transcontinental and multiple time zone travel. When its time to sleep use a proven martial arts relaxation technique combined with a thorough step by step review of your favorite aircraft starting procedure/pre-taxi and pre takeoff checklist. You probably won’t make it much past fuel pump on/off. The martial arts relaxation technique involves sequential muscle group relaxation in an ordered fashion starting from head to toes. It’s worth a google. If that does not work for you. find something else to do for a living. I firmly believe you can train yourself to sleep.

Welp, any excuse to have more sex with the misses is fine for me. I’ll try all that you suggested, thank you again.

It is very clear that the originator of this post is being subject to massive and disrupting psychological stress from multiple underlying stressors; and although I agree he should not be flying until he gets this under control I applaud his honesty and transparency in asking this question.

All proposed interventions are not dealing with the core problem... which somewhat ironically the pilot himself IS trying to do by escaping the stress in the first place.

I deal with clients with these issues all the time; and the emerging biotechnology that is now commercially available to help deal with this are peptides; which are naturally occurring endogenous regulator proteins that can help modulate physiological states such as the uncontrolled chronic stress response, and associated hyper-vigilance and insomnia that this person is currently experiencing.

Reducing as much social stress as is possible is the first step.

DSIP (delta sleep inducing peptide) is one such peptide that is well studied and proven to attenuate chronic stress response; and does so with NO pharmacological side effects, no grogginess, no loss of cognition or performance in any way... and as a non-pharmacological agent, I do not think (although verification would be suggested) that the FAA would consider it on any list of banned substance. It is taken bu injection three times per week; and is something tp consider for any pilot who finds himself in a similar situation.

A week or so into treatment most people just are much calmer; tyypically have better mental clarity and recall, and begin to sleep better without side effect.

Something to consider...

Thank you kind sir. I will definitely look into it. Do I administer the injection or do I go to the doctor’s office?

I have some ringing in my ears for years. Only when it’s super quiet does it get super loud. Silence at night when trying to sleep is not my friend. When it’s time for bed. Glasses come off- I can’t see tv with glasses off, and an episode of Seinfeld goes on. Combo of familiarity of the episode and noise to block the ringing- I’m out before the first set is done. Like clockwork. Unless it’s “the betrayal” I giggle the whole time. Routine is good.
+1 for caffeine mention. I can’t have a diet soda after 12pm and not be wired at night!!
Also any sugary snacks before bed- activates the brain.
I have 3 or 4 playlists on the iPod for sleep. I, too, have a bit of tinnitus and find the music offsets the tinnitus as well as relaxes me. Usually out before the 4th song. Ella, Diane Reeves, Diana Krall, Tony Bennett, Michael Feinstein, Kurt Elling....

The American College of Physicians has just made the pdf file of a comprehensive article on chronic insomnia, published in The Annals of Internal Medicine, available for free download (free registration is required).

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2761421/management-chronic-insomnia-disorder-obstructive-sleep-apnea-synopsis-2019-u

Abstract
Description:

In September 2019, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) approved a new joint clinical practice guideline for assessing and managing patients with chronic insomnia disorder and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). This guideline is intended to give health care teams a framework by which to screen, evaluate, treat, and manage the individual needs and preferences of VA and DoD patients with either of these conditions.

Methods:
In October 2017, the VA/DoD Evidence-Based Practice Work Group initiated a joint VA/DoD guideline development effort that included clinical stakeholders and conformed to the Institute of Medicine's tenets for trustworthy clinical practice guidelines. The guideline panel developed key questions, systematically searched and evaluated the literature, created three 1-page algorithms, and advanced 41 recommendations using the GRADE (Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation) system.

Recommendations:
This synopsis summarizes the key recommendations of the guideline in 3 areas: diagnosis and assessment of OSA and chronic insomnia disorder, treatment and management of OSA, and treatment and management of chronic insomnia disorder. Three clinical practice algorithms are also included.

I recently saw an article about a study, it found that sleeping with an article of your partner's clothing (the study used a T-shirt, worn one day, no perfume or deodorant, and not washed, as a pillowcase) was more effective than the standard recommended dose of melatonin. I presume that only works if you're fond of your partner...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back