Several issues...third class even possible?

U

Unregistered

I've got at least three medical issues that would get in the way of a third class medical:

1) Type II diabetes. My A1C has been below 8 the entire time since I was diagnosed. My control still isn't fantastic (fasting morning sugar of 130-150). I've never had any loss of consciousness or mental impairment due to high or low blood sugar. I do, however, have some loss of feeling in a few toes. As I understand it, that last means that it's not a routine special issuance (whatever that might mean). I've also been told I need a neurological evaluation and status letter.

2) Asthma. I'm asymptomatic normally, but whenever I get a cold, I cough pretty much continuously afterward. A month of Advair Diskus fixes the problem until the next cold.

3) Sleep apnea. Mine is low-grade, but I do use a CPAP (at 6 cm of water pressure). I was referred to a sleep study not because of any wakefulness issues, but because an ENT who was looking at me to try to figure out why I was coughing said "You snore like a banshee. You need a sleep study."

So, I'm told I need four doctors' status reports: diabetes, diabetes neurological, asthma, OSA. Maybe a wakefulness test, too. That all goes off to OKC and they do whatever it is they do and either say yea or nay. How likely am I to be told no? Should I give up on the idea entirely and just fly light sport? If I'm going to get turned down, or even run a significant risk of getting turned down, I won't bother, just so I can fly light sport.

If I do decide to try it, how do I go about picking an AME that will get me through the rigamarole successfully?

You really need Bruce Chien's input on the medical certificate issuance process, but one word of caution on light sport -- just because you've never had a medical denied doesn't mean you're automatically OK to fly light sport on the basis of your driver's license. If you have a medical condition which you know or have reason to know would make you ineligible to obtain a medical certificate, you must consult your physician to determine whether or not your medical conditions allow you to safely fly as a light sport pilot before you exercise those privileges. Personally, I have no idea whether the conditions you listed would or would not allow that safe exercise, so consultation with a medical professional is necessary.

See http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/ for more on the light sport medical subject.

you are gonna wanna talk to rev kev. He has type I and his medical (although I'm not sure which) and he gave me some info, but I can tell you now you really need to tighten the control and try to get the a1c down to at least 7.0

You really need Bruce Chien's input on the medical certificate issuance process ...
No question about it. The good doc is in the top tier of special issuance docs in the world because he knows how to get things done. I wish his medical column could get broader exposure than I can give it (I'm working on that), but after reading his tales the last several years I believe what you have is certifiable, but will take some effort on your part. Hopefully he will chime in here before you get too frustrated with the whole deal.

Unreg, sorry I've been away for a while.
Email me through this site with a real email address for me to return. Ken Ibold's sense of your position is close to mine.

Lots of hoops, but none are too restrictive....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back