Setting the default Airport code in a GNS430W

PilotYYZ

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotYYZ
I have a GTN750 and a GNS430W installed

I live in Canada.

Entering an airport code into the GTN750 is straight forward, just touch the screen.

However with the 430, it is more demanding with use of the toggle wheels to tune in the next letter of the code.

The default setting for a destination or waypoint is the letter K.

In Canada all, most airport codes start with a letter C.

Ie: CYXU is my home base in London, Ontario

Can I set my garmin devices to load an airport identifier to start with a C rather than the default K.?

Thanks in advance

For the 650/750, Garmin has a free simulator app that you can download on iPad to play with the settings.

Unsure if this works with the 430, I think the knob is fine once you get used to it, and easy to use in turbulence. Having learned on the 650 and later on the 430, it was a challenge for me as well but you get use to it.

Also check the user manual for the 430, I skimmed through it but I’m not going to read it because I don’t have a 430 but I suggest reading the whole thing. Page 151 showed setting sunrise and sunset, perhaps adjust that setting and see if the direct to button defaults to C. It might default to the most recent entry, I’m not sure. Here’s the link to a pdf and good idea to open in your Books on your iPad so it’s stored there.

http://www.proteus.aero/data/Garmin430_manual.pdf

Garmin 430 manual

Attachments

• Garmin430_manual.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
I have a GTN750 and a GNS430W installed

I live in Canada.

Entering an airport code into the GTN750 is straight forward, just touch the screen.

However with the 430, it is more demanding with use of the toggle wheels to tune in the next letter of the code.

The default setting for a destination or waypoint is the letter K.

In Canada all, most airport codes start with a letter C.

Ie: CYXU is my home base in London, Ontario

Can I set my garmin devices to load an airport identifier to start with a C rather than the default K.?

Thanks in advance
Do you have a Canadian database in the unit now? I seem to recall that changing when I went from an “eastern US” to a “North America” database. If that’s not the case, I would have thought it is in the configuration mode (described in the 430 installation manual, not the user manual). I looked in the installation manual and did not see it however. If all else fails, it seems like a Canadian avionics installer would be familiar with how to change that.

My 430W requires me to enter the K first. I am not sure that I would change that since some of the smaller or private airfields do not require a K.

Do you have a Canadian database in the unit now? I seem to recall that changing when I went from an “eastern US” to a “North America” database. If that’s not the case, I would have thought it is in the configuration mode (described in the 430 installation manual, not the user manual). I looked in the installation manual and did not see it however. If all else fails, it seems like a Canadian avionics installer would be familiar with how to change that.

I do have the Canadian Data base, which contains all of the Canadian Airports, Waypoints etc. But the default entry for destinations etc comes up starting with a K..

Back