Setback today

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
DPE had a cancellation, so he asked if I wanted to do another training flight. Did not go well at all. Very turbulent and bumpy. Couldn't do anything right, and he kept rattling my cage. There was a friend in the back who is getting her CFII renewed. She was not impressed with his teaching methods. Oh well....tomorrow is another day.

I just hope he doesn't hold it against me for the actual check ride...

You probably just knocked out some jitters. You'll do fine.

You should have been there for the second to last flight before my Private ride. I made every mistake in the book save for crashing the airplane. As an instructor, I've noticed students typically have a couple of bad flights nearing checkride time, so in short, you're normal and will probably do just fine.

you know something - having a turbulent day for your check ride is a good thing - masks bad performance.

That said - crap, everybody has a bad day. You want a bad day? Read the books on Apollo 13. The astros were dehydrated, exhausted and screwing up by the numbers and the guys on the ground kept changing the rules . . . .

The only thing you can guarantee is that you do the best you can - that day. You cannot control weather, turbulence, or the DPE's significant other that day or any of the other stressors we all face -

I knew I was having a bad day and wanted to cut the lesson early....

You will learn something about yourself during these events - no matter what happens - imagine a bad day as a Navy pilot during CQ . . . you need to finish it out.

The easiest way to solve a bad day is to go back to basics - stop concentrating on the details and start looking at the basics - head out of the cockpit - feel the airplane. Fly the airplane. Feel the airplane. Enjoy. Even in an F14

It can be frustrating, but sometimes when it's turbulent all you can do is try to keep with the aircraft. Not easy when your flopping all over the place. Having a humbling day close to the checkride will help you out. You've seen how turbulence is, so it won't be surprising for you next time!

Keep at it. When the ride gets bad, let ATC know if you are talking to them. We need those reports so we have an idea what's going on.

It can be frustrating, but sometimes when it's turbulent all you can do is try to keep with the aircraft. Not easy when your flopping all over the place. Having a humbling day close to the checkride will help you out. You've seen how turbulence is, so it won't be surprising for you next time!

Keep at it. When the ride gets bad, let ATC know if you are talking to them. We need those reports so we have an idea what's going on.

He was playing the role of ATC for the most part except when we requested a practice ILS at PWK.

Days like you had will help you be a better pilot for those days where you can't cut the lesson early.

don't sweat it. You flew and didnt bend any metal. everyone has on and off days

and joe is right about bumpy days. I had one check ride where the examiner got sick. I passed.

you know something - having a turbulent day for your check ride is a good thing - masks bad performance.

Hate to admit my IR checkride was on a really bumpy day. For my private the DPE had commented that a calm day makes performance deficiencies obvious. Having completed my private checkride on a day with ZERO wind ANYWHERE, I was kinda glad for the bumpy IR ride =)

Setback is hurt people, bent metal or a busted checkride - you had a learning opportunity. Mother Nature will not always cooperate, you recognized what you weren't doing as well as you could and that is important.

This too shall pass.

'Gimp

Hate to admit my IR checkride was on a really bumpy day. For my private the DPE had commented that a calm day makes performance deficiencies obvious. Having completed my private checkride on a day with ZERO wind ANYWHERE, I was kinda glad for the bumpy IR ride =)

I was told that my performance would have failed on a calm day. The ceilings were pretty low that day but still VFR. He knew it I was getting bounced everywhere, but it's very frustrating to have "ATC" telling you to hold altitude every 5 seconds.

Re: Setback today for Adam Z

I saw this and thought you were posting about the blackhawks game.;)

I'm in mourning. Sackcloth, ashes, tears, and had a stiff drink last night. Knew I had ground today..... Something's ARE more important than flying. I expect this with the Cubs. Bear season is next. Lol

Back