Service Ceiling

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
For SR20 pilots: Looking over the PIM, I see numbers for 14,000 feet, but I wonder how practical is that? I only ask because on some trips I've made where I really couldn't get above 10k to avoid CU, the practicality of being able to get to 14k would have made my passengers happier, as I could have avoided penetrating those clouds.

If you're light, you may be able to do better. If you're heavy on a hot day, it may be unachievable. Just remember that service ceiling means only 100 ft/min climb capability left, and it doesn't take much of a downdraft to overcome that.

If you're light, you may be able to do better. If you're heavy on a hot day, it may be unachievable. Just remember that service ceiling means only 100 ft/min climb capability left, and it doesn't take much of a downdraft to overcome that.

Also, you'd better have a healthy engine leaned for best power, and be flying the right speed.

Good points, both. On hot summer days, it will be harder to climb, and everything will have to be right with the leaning.

Back