Serious Issue with Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10.1.6

Maverick

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jean
I've had a serious problem with Symantec AV CE 10.1.6 that I think every network administrator who uses Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition needs to be aware of. The problem I ran into seriously crippled one of my most important servers. The server now needs to be reloaded.

Rather than repost the entire article here I'll post the link to my article on the Broadband Reports Security Forum. If you are responsible for the administration of a network and work with Symantec AV CE I urge you to read this article.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18901618

Jeannie

Last edited:
I've had a serious problem with Symantec AV CE 10.1.6 that I think every network administrator who uses Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition needs to be aware of. The problem I ran into seriously crippled one of my most important servers. The server now needs to be reloaded.

Rather than repost the entire article here I'll post the link to my article on the Broadband Reports Security Forum. If you are responsible for the administration of a network and work with Symantec AV CE I urge you to read this article.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18901618

Jeannie

Yeeesh..... I'm not in your position, or your level of expertise, but I gave up on Symantec products about 3 years ago and have been removing them off of peoples computers (who were having problems) ever since. I just use AVG, seems to work fine, and I don't have any side issues.

NOW I remember why I switched all my clients over to Trend Micro...

As an aside, I have a client who works for Symantec. He uses Trend on his home PC.

Rich

As an aside, I have a client who works for Symantec. He uses Trend on his home PC.

Rich

I've certainly heard of Trend Micro but I've never used any of their products. I've been getting very strong recommendations about Panda's AV software. I had an hour long webex and conference call with them today and I have to say I'm impressed with what they have shown to me. It looks like they are placing strong emphasis on all forms of malware not just virus.

Anyone have any comments about Panda?

Jeannie

Rich
You need a couple of antivirus programs...Although Trend micro seems like it does catch some stuff, trend micro let "AV security suite" in my system last weekend.

You need a couple of antivirus programs...Although Trend micro seems like it does catch some stuff, trend micro let "AV security suite" in my system last weekend.
Most likely Windows or some vulnerability in software you were using let it in. There is only so much a virus scanner can do. Outside of scanning downloaded files and e-mail attachments they all tend to do a horrible job at stopping the most common ways people get things these days (vulnerabilities in software). I personally don't bother with using any security suite on Windows. Just wastes resources and lets you down :)

Most likely Windows or some vulnerability in software you were using let it in. There is only so much a virus scanner can do. Outside of scanning downloaded files and e-mail attachments they all tend to do a horrible job at stopping the most common ways people get things these days (vulnerabilities in software). I personally don't bother with using any security suite on Windows. Just wastes resources and lets you down :)
You're right...but I needed another tool than the one I had to clean it out. It's the first infection I had in 8 years, quite literally. The last one I had before that was in a MacIntosh computer at Schering Plough. The resources I waste with a security suite is nothing compared to the wasted resources last sunday cleaning that junk out of the machine.

EDIT: Sorry- the one before that was an e-mail virus where I worked on PCs running outlook shortly after I left Schering.

Multiple AV programs can conflict with each other. I do use the free version of MalwareBytes, however (which provides no resident protection) if I suspect that my resident protection missed something.

-Rich

Don't even get me started on Symantec. We have to use SEP11 on our servers at work, and it makes me cry just thinking about it.

Multiple AV programs can conflict with each other. I do use the free version of MalwareBytes, however (which provides no resident protection) if I suspect that my resident protection missed something.

-Rich
The free Malwarebytes is now my secondary and I now run it periodically to see what Trend might have missed.

Back