Serious Error in SureCheck Checklist

If you want to add something to a checklist and use it, by all means do it. But it's a little tough to call that a "serious error". The checklist also omits instructions to look out the window while taxiing.

Yes, Matthew...well said. As someone else in this thread said, I will never forget to release the brake again! That said, as your research and mine shows, if you're gonna do a checklist, at least get the important stuff fight.

And if you're going to have a step to set the brake, by all means have a set to release it!

Being smarter than what you're working with is a prerequisite for all machinery in farm/ranch country. Airplanes are included.

To close this out, I checked out a competing checklist product. The competing product says to release the brake before takeoff.

I stand by my original premise. This is a major omission, whether it's missing in the POH, Surecheck, or anywhere. We use checklists to help us remember important safety tasks. Failure to release a brake is a serious issue. If they are going to have a step to "Set" the brake, without question, they should have one to release it!

Bob you mention being overwhelmed in your first post. A lot of people gave you some good advise, but then you still come back trying to make a case for something that is not a case. You even go as far as saying the POH and FAA(who approved said poh) are wrong.
I have a student right now who is a very smart man. He is also 70+ hours into his training. He just started flying with me about 10 hrs ago. The problem, he is no where near close to finishing. His biggest problem, he likes to over think things and won't listen.
My best students just do. You tell them and they do it. Your best chance at making your training not so "overwhelming" is to listen to those who know. Like your cfi. If your going to come to a forum and ask question, that's fine, but at least know who is going to give you the "right" answer, and listen. I'm new here, but it didnt take me long to figure out cap n Ron is a knowledgable aviator, and educator. He has replied twice to this thread yet it doesn't appear you are listening. With your bolding and underlining and trying to make YOURpoint don't try recreating the wheel. Releasing the break is not a major omission. There is no way you can put every single item related to a safe flight on a checklist. This is why we have FLIGHT TRAINING! Study, learn, listen. Do what your instructor tells you to do. Your flight training will go much smoother, and faster.

Being smarter than what you're working with is a prerequisite for all machinery in farm/ranch country. Airplanes are included.
I don't use one of my brother's tractors for that reason. Too many settings on the electrohydraulics, it is smarter than I am.

Jeff, I think we've dug this thread well into the ground. There are clearly two camps: Those who agree with me and those who don't. I respect all of them. It's great to live in the USA where we can debate and shake hands at the end, no?

I would like to thank all the folks who gave so much valuable advise to me so far. Getting back in the cockpit after 40 years is one of the most exciting things I've ever done.

I expect to pass my BFR this weekend, ready to resume as a PIC!

Jeff, I think we've dug this thread well into the ground. There are clearly two camps: Those who agree with me and those who don't. I respect all of them. It's great to live in the USA where we can debate and shake hands at the end, no?

I would like to thank all the folks who gave so much valuable advise to me so far. Getting back in the cockpit after 40 years is one of the most exciting things I've ever done.

I expect to pass my BFR this weekend, ready to resume as a PIC!
maybe then time to combine your favorite activities? lots of fun & cheap flying to be done with vw-powered single seaters

I wrote things like "Don't run into the hangar" on my checklist. I felt the checklist was lacking. :) :) :)

Maybe this has already been mentioned or maybe I've been wrong for the past 44 years but I never interpreted the checklist item: "SET THE BRAKES" as meaning to set the parking brake I always thought it just meant to step on the brakes.

As for parking brakes in general, especially those funky cable operated tilting, jam up the works kind on Cessnas, I rarely if ever use them even for parking. Tie downs do just fine. The Piper parking brake, which incidentally on some models is the only brake you've got, is far superior. That is, until it comes time to bleed the system :(

So many rental places specifically tell you NOT to use the parking brake when you leave the plane on the ramp. Because of that, I don't remember the last time i ever used it for anything.

Back