Serious Cirrus Report—First Hour and a Half

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Report from an average 600-hour, 10-year, IR-pilot

1. Preparation, as with all aircraft is good. I had to complete a 30-plus page workbook. I also memorized numbers and tried to memorize schematics. That helped a lot.

2. This is about the 10th or 15th different type of airplane I’ve flown, but the new design really sets it apart. Laminar flow wings are very sleek, interior is huge and extremely comfy and well-appointed. The G1000 especially seems right here, and this version—the Perspective—just makes it all the more intuitive.

3. Taxiing was awkward at first, but got better very quickly.

4. Everything is done in terms of percent power, although MP and RPM are, of course, displayed. I like this, since the variable-pitch prop is automatic, it is logical to go straight to percent power.

5. The airplane is –quiet-. With three blades and six cylinders, there just isn’t much noise. And the cockpit is well noise-insulated and temp-insulated, too.

6. Before takeoff, I pushed the TOGA button which gives you command bars. Man, was it easy to hold Vy with that! (I’m sure it couldn’t have been actual skill!)

7. We went up and did a few maneuvers this time. We started with 30-degree turns, then went to steep turns. Mine weren’t pretty until I added a bit of power in the turn. Then they got better.

8. Controls are well-harmonized and actually quite spritely, which surprised me. Sidestick is a non-issue and became natural in about 10 mins.

9. I was surprised that the SR-20 has aileron trim, but once I started flying, I saw how good it was that it was there!

10. The SR-20 is remarkable fast for only a 200-hp engine carrying 3,000 lbs. max gross.

11. Back to the pattern, keeping it around 25% power the drill was to go 50% flaps abeam numbers and allow the bird to descend; base was 100% (always land with 100% except under unusual circumstances); and final was 80 then 75 KIAS.

12. I only did two landings and I need to do more. I love to flare high, and I don’t know why. I’m adept at making smooth touchdowns by adding power if I flare high, but this is not the proper way to do this. Will refine the sight picture next time and get this right.

13. Next time, more steep turns, slow flight, stalls and at least 4 or 5 landings. If there’s time, we’ll do approaches. My feeling is that since doing approaches in G1000 aircraft makes them easy, the more important aspect for me will be the VFR stuff.

14. FDK tower was professional and friendly.

15. I think I will need a total of 5 hours before I feel happy soloing.

16. The aircraft is expensive to rent, so I need to go on Mondays or Tuesdays when there is a 10% discount.

17. Thoughts?

Seems like a pretty fair and accurate to me impression you got.

Seems like a pretty fair and accurate to me impression you got.

Thanks! I think it is my favorite airplane I've flown, so far, with the exception of the Twin Commander!

Thanks! I think it is my favorite airplane I've flown, so far, with the exception of the Twin Commander!

I've only flown the Cirrus once to test it for a client spooked by gossip. It was an SR 22, I thought it was a great airplane outside that it left the gear out. The only thing that concerns me with it is a couple of incidents that led to fuel tank ruptures and fires under conditions that I would not expect a rupture.

In all my adventures and misadventures in life I have come to accept that I will die; I have also discovered burning to death is at the bottom of my list of ways to go, right next to torture.

I've only flown the Cirrus once to test it for a client spooked by gossip. It was an SR 22, I thought it was a great airplane outside that it left the gear out. The only thing that concerns me with it is a couple of incidents that led to fuel tank ruptures and fires under conditions that I would not expect a rupture.

In all my adventures and misadventures in life I have come to accept that I will die; I have also discovered burning to death is at the bottom of my list of ways to go, right next to torture.

Is that more of an SR22 thing than an SR20? Has it to do with the turbo?

Is that more of an SR22 thing than an SR20? Has it to do with the turbo?

No, it has to do with the wet wing design. I don't consider it a huge issue and it would not cause me hesitation to fly it, I just don't like that.

SR20 with a G-1000...is it new? Must be...

Nice pirep.

Rent away!!!

Last edited:
The Perspective has been there for several years now. While a little cleaner than the G1000 it is still a Garmin product so I recommend a lot of training in how to get back to a known state when things are messed up such as on an approach and a thorough review of quick flight plan editing focusing on airways and procedures. Fly with Avidyne R9 to see a good user interface. Still, got to love those 12" screens.

I am surprised how many people don't realize the impact of the dramatically different sight picture. In a 182 you are looking out the side during the flair. In a Cirrus you can still see the runway in front. It changes the perception of where the ground is.

Good analysis overall and I agree with everything written.

There is a lot of hidden meaning when you mention speed is from being slick instead of power. In particular, the 20 becomes very wimpy up high in the mountains. Think flying a 172 and not a 182.

The quick handling together with the electric trim means hand flying in IMC is more difficult (touchy trim) but the AP is awesome.

No, it has to do with the wet wing design. I don't consider it a huge issue and it would not cause me hesitation to fly it, I just don't like that.

I prefer the Diamond design a lot. I feel composites are stronger than aluminum. Whether the way composites fracture has something to do with post crash fires is, to me, an open question. There has certainly been some spectacular post crash Cirrus fires. Placing tanks between wing spars is also a better design but has tradeoffs including tank size. The metal interior on the Diamond seems like a great feature. I like the combination of a strong fiberglass exterior with the aluminum interior. Data shows one death by post crash fire in a Cirrus and that wasn't the explosive rupture people complain about. The pilot's seatbelt stuck. The fire that killed him was the more typical (of airplane crashes of all types) breached tank spill that vaporizes and then ignites minutes after the crash. By comparison the Cessna 206 has a worse record of death by post crash fire than the SR22 on a fleet size that's about the same.

Just curious, what does it cost to rent an SR-20? And what is a real-life cruise airspeed.

Just curious, what does it cost to rent an SR-20? And what is a real-life cruise airspeed.

For me, $215 and 145-150 KTAS.

I have to rent Mondays or Tuesdays because I get 10% off.

How was the side mount yoke, I tried a sim for the sr22, it was very awkward to use the control. But I say if you can afford it and enjoy it, knock yourself out and have fun.

How was the side mount yoke, I tried a sim for the sr22, it was very awkward to use the control. But I say if you can afford it and enjoy it, knock yourself out and have fun.

The side yoke was awkward for about 10 mins. Then, I didn't notice it. Then, I liked it better, because there's nothing right in front of you.

I can't really afford this, but I have been saving, and in the long run it will probably be the same cost per mile as the Cessna 172 for long trips, and a helluva lot more comfy.

Which sim did you use? Most sims are relatively dead feeling and overly sensitive. The theory is that if you can handle the sim then the real thing will be easier.

The side yoke was awkward for about 10 mins. Then, I didn't notice it. Then, I liked it better, because there's nothing right in front of you.

I can't really afford this, but I have been saving, and in the long run it will probably be the same cost per mile as the Cessna 172 for long trips, and a helluva lot more comfy.

:yeahthat:

It feels awkward for a few minutes. Then you start to like it. As he said, the one benefit is that you have both elevator and aileron trim right on the stick. So it becomes really easy to take all of the control forces out of play.

I've loved the couple of hours that I have in an SR20. Great handling planes. And comfortable. The hardest part for me to get used to is the desired flat landing. Though, I probably exaggerate it more than it needs to be.

:yeahthat:

The hardest part for me to get used to is the desired flat landing. Though, I probably exaggerate it more than it needs to be.

If you actually look at a Cirrus landing (properly) there is a definite flair and it is not landing flat. It should also be a standard full stall landing. It just looks flat because of the sight picture out the front. A similar effect was that, for me, when transitioning, I always found I wanted to climb. The sight picture for level flight looked like a descent since the glare shield was so low compared to a Warrior or 172.

Diamonds are similar. I _think_ that even in airplanes where I can see over the nose in the flare I still look to the side - it's a one-technique-fits-all thing, but I'll have to really think about it the next time I go fly the DA-40.

Ben, where are you renting? I've looked into the Cirrus fro rent at Bay Bridge Airport. Very tempting...

If you actually look at a Cirrus landing (properly) there is a definite flair and it is not landing flat. It should also be a standard full stall landing. It just looks flat because of the sight picture out the front. A similar effect was that, for me, when transitioning, I always found I wanted to climb. The sight picture for level flight looked like a descent since the glare shield was so low compared to a Warrior or 172.

That's why I had to "save" my two landings yesterday--I flared too much, too high; then training came into play, and I added some power until touchdown, which was good.

But that's not the proper way to do them.

Ben, where are you renting? I've looked into the Cirrus fro rent at Bay Bridge Airport. Very tempting...

I am renting from a very fine flight school in Frederick, MD.

I don't have experience in a lot of planes, but thus far, the Cirrus Sr20 is my favorite. Followed by the 22 and then RV-10.

I transitioned over to the Cirrus from a 172 a few months back and love it. Found a place that rents for $179 wet, which is right around what I was paying for a 172 with G1000/GFC700. Only trouble is, one of their two SR20s is down for maintenance for a few months while its leaseback owner coughs up the $$ to fix it, so scheduling has been an issue.

Coming from a Cessna, the sight picture while landing certainly took some adjustment! It sure feels like a rocket compared to a 172 though on takeoff. Eager to try out the SR22 but my local place won't rent it without an I.R. and 300 hours.

Nice report and assessment. Thanks Ben!

I transitioned over to the Cirrus from a 172 a few months back and love it. Found a place that rents for $179 wet, which is right around what I was paying for a 172 with G1000/GFC700. Only trouble is, one of their two SR20s is down for maintenance for a few months while its leaseback owner coughs up the $$ to fix it, so scheduling has been an issue.

Coming from a Cessna, the sight picture while landing certainly took some adjustment! It sure feels like a rocket compared to a 172 though on takeoff. Eager to try out the SR22 but my local place won't rent it without an I.R. and 300 hours.

That's a great price!

I wish our place rented an SR22--I've got those requirements.

I see that the price is higher there. But if you're out on the Eastern Shore, your choices might be limited!

I see that the price is higher there. But if you're out on the Eastern Shore, your choices might be limited!

I'm just west of Annapolis. The drive to Frederick might be worth it. Not necessarily looking for the cheapest game in town, but I do like to shop around.

I keep trying to find some way to segue into talking about this forum when I meet other pilots, but that's kinda difficult. I'd rather not take the nerdy way out and be like, "HAY ARE YOU ON THIS FORUM ON THE INTERWEBSZ? LOL"

Maybe I'll meet someone at a big event or a fly-in or something.

Back