Separated shoulder

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Fell off of scooter and separated my left shoulder.

Rated a "Grade 3 Separation"

Had MRI yesterday and going in to discuss with Dr. Friday morning.

Can leave as is and suffer with some restriction in movement.

Can have pin inserted in Clavicle and Clavicle tied to shoulder and after 6 weeks should have 100% movement.

Medical opinions of leaving as is or operating, please.

White male
66 years old, 67 in November
Excellent health
Very active and was walking 5 miles a day or 1 1/2 hours on exercise machine everyday.
No smoker
Non drinker.

Rehab.
Pinning has its own troubles associated.....

....what is a 66 y.o. doing on a scooter? "Dude, your airbag failed, man......"

Rehab.
Pinning has its own troubles associated.....

....what is a 66 y.o. doing on a scooter? "Dude, your airbag failed, man......"
You have not been to south florida recently. Here they call a 66 yo a youngster.

(hope you feel better soon - whatever path you choose)

You have not been to south florida recently. Here they call a 66 yo a youngster.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: God's waiting room.... I remember watching Av Shilo wipe out behind me. I hit the oil patch in the roundabout first and just flat tracked through, looked in my rear view and watched Av sliding down the road. Luckily all he needed was some scrubbing and some lacquer to patch him up.

I installed a new starter/alternator and battery on my daughter's scooter. 49CC and Pink. :D

I took it for a test drive. Before turning around, I looked over my left shoulder and when I did the scooter fell over. I couldn't get my leg out to stop the fall and landed on my shoulder.

I stood the scooter back up, started it, and drove it back to her place. After parking the scooter, I reached up and felt my shoulder to see if I was bleeding. No bleeding but big deformation on top of shoulder.

Put away tools and drove myself to ER. That was Monday afternoon. They put it in a sling and set up an Orthopedic appointment for Tuesday morning.

Tuesday morning, did MRI, and looked at options.

Friday morning I meet with the Dr. To discuss MRI and options.

Told the wife when I finished, I wanted to go look at Harley's. she said okay, but had to get one with training wheels. :rofl:

When I was in my 20s I separated my shoulder skiing. Some of the worst pain I have ever been in. Couldn't sleep for a long time just couldn't get in a position it didn't hurt. Eventually it got better but I don't think mine was near as bad as yours sounds.

Sorry for your troubles.

As Dr. Bruce said, the pins have issues. Had three in my foot several years back. They restricted flexibility so badly I had them removed.

As Dr. Bruce said, the pins have issues. Had three in my foot several years back. They restricted flexibility so badly I had them removed.

The pin is to be removed when the Clavicle is healed. Will look at options tomorrow with Dr. But appreciate your input.

Fracture Dislocation of right shoulder after a fall ski racing at age 65. Doc reset with no pins, surgery, etc, and after rehab, was better than new.

My personal choice is surgery is a last resort for anything busted or torn via accident.

Cheers

Fracture Dislocation of right shoulder after a fall ski racing at age 65. Doc reset with no pins, surgery, etc, and after rehab, was better than new.

My personal choice is surgery is a last resort for anything busted or torn via accident.

Cheers

(if I may ask) how long did it take for your facture to heal?

Looking at my X-ray, I freaked out. After 2 days, a lot has improved and I am leaning toward NOT going through surgery.

Will discuss tomorrow with Dr. and let everyone know.

I am very active and have a large lawn and garden, so hard work and mowing and weed eating, firewood, painting, and up keep on an historic place is quite a challenge.

Terry

in my training, I worked a couple months with an Orthopedic foot surgeon, when discussing options for elective repairs he would often start by telling people, "there is nothing so bad, surgery can't make it worse".

Go with the rehab its always better if you can fix something without surgery.good luck

An orthopod told me the same thing about a knee in college when I was 19. He said I could either have it repaired or rehab it and perhaps get a number of years out of it before it wore out. After 50-odd years without anything other than a dye injection I think he was right.

You are describing variations of the Weaver-Dunn operation. The true Weaver Dunn raises your whole shoulder girdle to the clavicle by tying a tape from your clavicle around the coracoid process. It is an ok operation, but not great. If they pin across your AC joint, I call bs on any claim of 100% success. You could very likely end up with persistent AC joint pain. The likelihood of this not working is very high.

I'd get another opinion from a sports medicine ortho surgeon at the closest university hospital. Do not be fooled by claims that doctor so and so took care of some sports team- much of the time such claims are more marketing than a reflection of someone's judgement or skills.

Okay, back from Orthopedic clinic.

Will do physical therapy 3 times a week for 1 month and then go back for re-evaluation. If I am still having pain and problems will consider surgery but Dr. said it was not an emergency and could wait maybe up to a year to decide.

It all depends on what I want to do.

For now, it will be exercises and rehab.

Okay, back from Orthopedic clinic.

Will do physical therapy 3 times a week for 1 month and then go back for re-evaluation. If I am still having pain and problems will consider surgery but Dr. said it was not an emergency and could wait maybe up to a year to decide.

It all depends on what I want to do.

For now, it will be exercises and rehab.

good luck with all that... (I'm not being sarcastic).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back