Senior Project - Data complete

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Heres some pretty pictures. Unfortunately I cant attached my full excel file with all my measured and extrapolated data, plus plots, but ill attach a few interesting plots for your enjoyment.

Max L/D came out to 23.5:1 at about 49 mph. First plot is the L/D vs speed curve. This was pretty easy to get to, just took speed and descent rate info straight from my flight test.

attachment.php

To gather the data I mounted a digital video camera behind the pilot seat, trained on the instrument panel. Also had a good view of the outside world.

Next is the actual descent rate vs. speed. The 'Polar' for us glider junkies. Minimum sink is about 165 fpm at 42 mph or so. Also direct measured data. The really cool thing is that this matched up really well with theoretical data provided by Stan Hall in the design documents.

attachment.php

From there, I started to come up with some numbers. I used the lift equation (L = 1/2*rho*V^2*S*Cl) to come up with a Coefficient of Lift value at each speed. Similarly used Drag equation (D = 1/2*rho*V^2*S*Cd) and the L/D value to find Cd.

There's an alternative (simplified) equation for Cd.

Cd = Cdo + Cl^2/(pi*e*AR)

e is span efficiency factor (1 for an elliptical wing, a la Spitfire) and AR is aspect ratio.

Cdo is the coefficient of drag at an angle of attack of 0.

I plotted a huge table of Speed vs. e, finding the Cdo value at each combination. From flight performance, at minimum sink speed, Cdo should equal 1/4 Cd. So i generated the next really pretty plot, and found which e value provided a Cdo that equaled 1/4 Cd for that speed. that e value turned out to be .905

attachment.php

so i re-calculated Cd using the Cdo and e value that I had found. It matched up fairly closely.

I also wanted to figure out some angle of attack data. I used a basic stability equation to do so. That is:

Cl = Clo + dCl/dalpha*alpha + dCl/delev*elev

Clo is Cl at 0 angle of attack. dCl/dalpha is the slope of the Cl vs alpha line. dCl/delev is the change in Cl with change in elevator angle. and elev is the elevator angle.

I had meausured the stick position during flight and was able to associate that with an elevator deflection angle. This gave me the last two terms. I got the change in alpha from my video, by measuring the change in pitch attitude between various speeds, and subtracting off the change in flight path angle from my L/D numbers. I then divided this into the change in Cl between the speeds to get the dCl/dalpha value. So i knew everything but alpha and was able to solve for it. Now i could convert speed to alpha. All of this is 1G level flight of course.

So next is my Cl vs alpha plot, also plotted is the Lockheed plot. difference between a 3D wing with a fuselage and a 2D code, i suppose.

attachment.php

Also the Cd vs alpha plot, with both methods. I think the measured one runs a little higher because it includes the drag from the fuselage. makes sense.

attachment.php

Questions? comments? My presentation is on Thursday afternoon. Ive just got a few more tweaks to do to these plots, then get a powerpoint put together, do some laundry, and get my hair cut

Attachments

• cdalpha.JPG
    cdalpha.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 230
  • cdoe.JPG
    cdoe.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 230
  • clalpha.JPG
    clalpha.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 229
  • LDSpeed.JPG
    LDSpeed.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 232
  • polar.JPG
    polar.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
apparently im the only one, fixing...

how about now?

Looks good now! Lemme study and see if I'm smart enough to ask any intelligent questions...

What app do you use to get the nice smooth curves? Back in the dark ages, we had to use French curves to draft with - ugh, still gives me nightmares.

Trapper John

Used Excel. Its gotten pretty nice in the latest version, once you figure out how to use it.

You may have gathered more information on the aerodynamic workings of your glider than the glider manufacturer did. ;)

Looks good to me!

no manufacturer Ted. homebuilt. there is a one line entry in the logbook:

"Glide test, L/D > 25:1" That is all. I dont believe it.

and if there has been past flight test data on Cherokee II's, ive been able to find no evidence of it

Wow, even more impressive, then. Good to have all that info now.

Ive uploaded 4 more plots to the picasa album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/abcondon/CherokeeII#

I digitized the provided glide polar data from the book "New Soaring by the Numbers" as well as an L/D vs Speed curve that was provided in original informational material from the designer. Plotted those along with the plots that I developed and they match very well. Mine are shifted to the right and down a bit, and thats because i was flying at a weight of 600 lbs while the plots were for a weight of 530 lbs.

Also digitized some wind tunnel data I got from a 1926 test on the airfoil section that I have. Included those in the Cl and Cd vs alpha plots. Seem to match up pretty well, but theres definitely a difference between an airfoil section and a 3D wing with fuselage.

Wow, Tony, somebody should hire you as a test pilot. :D

I shouldve said 'the plotting has gotten pretty nice', at least compared to previous versions.

i wont lie that matlab does a very nice job of plotting data. it also does a good job of solving complicated math problems. these werent complicated math problems, and excel is simple and easy. i like simple and easy.

Very cool Tony. A good read for us geeks. :)

I'll bet you're the only guy in your class who's doing a senior project based on real-world data from their own aircraft! That alone has to impress the profs, as they probably can't even do that themselves.

You're gonna do great - Have fun! :yes:

Very cool Tony. A good read for us geeks. :)

I'll bet you're the only guy in your class who's doing a senior project based on real-world data from their own aircraft! That alone has to impress the profs, as they probably can't even do that themselves.

You're gonna do great - Have fun! :yes:

in the last 4 years ive been here i dont know that many of the senior presentation have been on anything with real data. ive generally been disappointed in the content. hopefully mine will be above average.

And about 95% of the professors in the dept. are better suited and more interested in research than actual hands on data. But im glad that im done (nearly) done :)

Tony,

I hate to be the one to tell you, but there is a SERIOUS error in your data. I don't feel like I should be the one to point out exactly where it is, but I feel sure you'll want to spend the next few days pouring back over it and looking for the flaw. (This does have something to do with economic forecasting, right?)

nice try chip, i already found the error, earlier today. damn degrees/radians...

Nice comeback. :rofl:

actually im not kidding, stuff was seriously screwed up this morning. scary, cause it all looked so right. the stuff i posted, of course, is the correct data.

completed the powerpoint tonight, but theres no way to upload it here. i guess there really isnt anything in there that isnt already here anyway.

I'd give you an A. I'd probably give you an A+ if you bribed me with lunch and if I knew what the hell you were talking about. :D

well thanks chip!

ill report back on how it goes

That is awesome, Tony! If I didn't have to fly stupid paper helicopters in OSCM 424 today (yes, flying helicopters in a BUSINESS class), I'd come sit in on your presentation. I would love to see everyone's faces when they see pictures of a 'real' airplane and you 'really' flying. ha!

Good luck!

If I didn't have to fly stupid paper helicopters in OSCM 424 today (yes, flying helicopters in a BUSINESS class)...

Ha. Yeah, I've had to do that exercise as well. I'm not sure why it's so popular, paper airplanes are much better than fling-wings. ;)

Ha. Yeah, I've had to do that exercise as well. I'm not sure why it's so popular, paper airplanes are much better than fling-wings. ;)

Yeah.. We're doing some regression analysis on previous flight times to determine the best wing (rotor) length, body width, and body length combination for the longest flight time. There was a room with about 5 groups in it till 9 last night making and flying those stupid things. ha! My group finally came up with one that lasts about 4 seconds when dropped from about 9ft. Today is the moment of truth.

Yeah, that sounds about like the exercise I had to do as well. It's at least a fun diversion, even though it seems like a poor use of time.

im only running a little late here. I've had a few people ask me about my project lately, so I posted 10 minutes worth of my flight test video on youtube. It will probably win an award for the stupidest and most boring video on youtube, but it will give you an idea of how I did the test.

Attached is my written report. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Cherokee.pdf
    479.7 KB · Views: 7
Cool, Tony. This is the first time I've seen this thread--very nice. Are you tapping the altimeter in the video??

im only running a little late here. I've had a few people ask me about my project lately, so I posted 10 minutes worth of my flight test video on youtube. It will probably win an award for the stupidest and most boring video on youtube, but it will give you an idea of how I did the test.

Attached is my written report. Enjoy!

Just a comment on your data presentation.

Looking at, for example, the airspeed error plot - It appears to me that you probably ran the procedure once then used splines to generate the curve.

Personally, I would suggest running the procedure more than once to determine the repeatability of your measurement process, then present the actual data points with a simpler curve fit which (likely) is a closer to real life estimate of the error (it's difficult to fit the curve and have confidence if you don't have first principles to fall back on to determine the best type of curve to use – polynomial, log, inverse, etc.)

I would have ended up with something more like:

attachment.php

Attachments

• junk.JPG
    junk.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 80
Geoff,

Thanks for the feedback and good point. I'm going to take a look through my spreadsheet and see what i really used. I think it may have been a 4th order polynomial...

Geoff,

Thanks for the feedback and good point. I'm going to take a look through my spreadsheet and see what i really used. I think it may have been a 4th order polynomial...

I don't have your real data (duuhhhh) - just the points I guesstimated from the graph, but comparing a 4th order poly to splines I get this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• junk.JPG
    junk.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 75
i took a look at the spreadsheet. I used a spline to connect the dots on the graph, just to make it look pretty. When it came time to crunch numbers, i basically used each individual point. It worked out that I had calibrated at certain nice round numbers, like 35,40,45,50 mph etc. I also tested at these same nice round numbers, so i just used the measured error at each speed.

for altitude I did use a 4th order best fit to correct the indicated altitude.

Awesome! I am glad you brought this back up so I could see it!

I'm going to be presenting this project at the Vintage Meet here in Wichita at the end of September. I posted my written report in Post #31. Anyone who wants to take a look over it and provide feedback is welcome. I have no doubt the questioning from the pilot crowd (especially the glider pilot crowd) will be much tougher than from a bunch of undergrads trying to fulfill class requirements and some professors who have never been off the ground.

Back