Seneca vs Matrix

Man... I feel misled - watching hours of Malibu Pilot has lead me to believe they (Malibus) are a lot more efficient and better performers than this thread suggests.

Man... I feel misled - watching hours of Malibu Pilot has lead me to believe they (Malibus) are a lot more efficient and better performers than this thread suggests.

I'd argue that you can get quite a bit of work done on only 350 horsepower. Hot glass, boots, actual weather radar, and a pressurized cabin. 22 gph to move a few people along at 180-200 knots with all that looks pretty good when you compare it to a comparable pressurized piston twin.

I think you and I have a different idea of efficiency. It is hard to beat the malibu for cruise speed vs. fuel rate. Especially in a six seat type certified airplane. Deice and pressurization are icing on the cake.

Every airplane is a compromise, you have to find the one that best fits your needs. As I alluded to earlier in the thread, sometimes it takes multiple aircraft to satisfy all the needs and/or desires.

Quite an efficient six person pressurized cabin once in cruise for sure but that climb rate still gives me the willies... Not a lot of margin if you get some down draft or a couple of fouled plugs or something...

800FPM at 35" and 2500 RPM is pretty much best case scenario. Load it up to max or put it at a high DA and it'll be a bit less. Piper has advised that you can hold 42" (redline) for the duration of the climb...but I'd never do that if it was my airplane, nor do I do that in customer or company Mirage/M350s that I fly. It also burns 40 GPH at 42" as apposed to a slightly more reasonable 32-35 gph at 35". Typical cruise at 75% power (30" 2400 RPM leaned to 125 ROP) is 200 TAS at FL 200 on 22 gph. Down below 10,000 it'll do 170-175 for you on the same fuel flow.

I would be curious what the CHT delta is between those fuel flows, and also the difference in climb rates. Sometimes, a short duration higher stress is better than a long running slightly lower stress.

Tim

Piper has gone back and forth on the 42 versus 35 climb. Trade more stress for a shorter duration. I think both are fine. I would usually climb 35 MP once clear of obstacles, a little over 1000 fpm at a mid weight. If in moderate or heavy ice, I would climb 42 inches until out of ice. There is no time limit on the engine. I think the plane does OK in ice for a piston. I felt better in the Mirage, than I did in my FIKI SR22. But you’re time-limited in both of them if you’re in moderate ice. The claim that they can’t stay in trace or light ice for long, is not substantiated by my flying piston PA46’s about 1000 hours in the Rockies year around. The beauty of the Mirage/M350 is that you can almost always cruise above the icing levels, and on the descent you have a lot of potential energy and with pressurization you can come down 1500-2000 ft./min. Without ear problems which gets you through an icing band in no time. As far as Malibus carrying ice. They can. They have very little unprotected area on the front profile, not even flap cowlings. Just use your head, and remember you need to climb at 130 knots. ;-)

8A9CF2D9-F878-4FE8-86E8-A6D06AF0A883.jpeg

F0DE7C0C-8428-4EAF-992D-C99038CC6CF0.jpeg

Last edited:
I know one guy who owns a FIKI Seneca II. He loves that plane. All the other Seneca pilots I know fly them for weather modification, which tells me they can probably (a) take a beating, (b) deal with icing, and (c) generally outclimb rather severe downdrafts. I have no time in them but have flown a Saratoga, which is ergonomically similar.

My only experience with the PA-46 family was one flight in a Meridian. I rode in the right seat for one leg and the back seat for the other leg. The front seat was hard to get into but I think you just have to learn the right dance moves and then it's muscle memory, same as a Cub or RV. The back was nice.

I'd probably focus on loading for your mission to decide between these planes.

Here is the performance table for the M350. Should see 1150 fpm climb ISA at sea level. Have to remember People are confusing cruise climbs with max climbs. The Mirage in the flight levels will be climbing at a higher true airspeed than most high performance pistons will be cruising. Not uncommon to see almost 200 knots true in the climb approaching 25,000 feetF8EAA3CA-8D1F-4F2C-8E41-698458A207F5.png

Back