Seneca Down, 2 dead, 2 kids in hospital

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
From the New York Times this morning:

The pilot of a twin-engine plane that crashed into the woods near an airport in central New Jersey in a dense fog Sunday night had been cited twice for "careless or reckless flying" and was not rated to fly by instruments, federal officials said yesterday.

Wreckage from the plane that crashed into the woods in Old Bridge, N.J., on Sunday night. Two aboard the plane were killed, and two were critically injured.

The pilot, Steve Ben-Hanania, 57, was flying his wife and their two children home from Lake Worth, Fla., when the plane crashed about 10:20 p.m. some 800 yards from the runway of the Old Bridge airport, according to the police.

Mr. Ben-Hanania and his wife, Shiry, were killed on impact, and their two children, Amber, 13, and Adam, 12, were flown to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, where they remained in critical but stable condition last night, said Lt. Robert Weiss, a spokesman for the Old Bridge Police Department. He would not provide specifics on their injuries but said they "have been unresponsive."

Because of the severity of the crash and rescuers' confusion in the bad weather, the police initially said that six passengers were on board and that three had died in the crash. Witnesses told the police that they could hear the plane, a Piper Seneca PA-34-200T, circling above in the minutes before the crash.

The airport was not staffed at the time of the crash and does not have a control tower, Lieutenant Weiss said. Mr. Ben-Hanania, the owner of a used-car dealership in Brooklyn, and other pilots who use the airport are typically able to get ground conditions and activate runway lights by using instruments aboard their planes, the authorities said.

Officials with the National Transportation Safety Board, the agency leading the inquiry, said yesterday that they had not yet determined whether the airport's equipment was in proper working order or whether the pilot had activated the controls. The six-seat plane, made in 1976, was not equipped with a voice or data recorder, said David Muzio, the investigator-in-charge for the board.

According to records by the Federal Aviation Administration, Mr. Ben-Hanania had his pilot's license revoked in 1992 for operating an airplane in a "careless or reckless manner," said an F.A.A. spokesman, Roland Herwig. Mr. Ben-Hanania was reissued a license in 1994, but last year he was cited again for flying in a careless or reckless manner and for flying into restricted airspace.

The family moved into a new house on Poillon Avenue on Staten Island about a month ago, according to Thomas Nicolosi, 36, a contractor who was at the house yesterday.

Attempts to reach relatives were unsuccessful.

Neighbors described Amber and Adam as polite and smart children who attend a yeshiva in Brooklyn. Ms. Ben-Hanania, neighbors said, was a quiet woman who still openly grieved for a 3-year-old son who died in a house fire six years ago.

"It's very sad," said Josephine Mezzacappa, 66, a neighbor from where the family used to live on Ramapo Avenue on Staten Island. "Another tragedy."

end of article.

I can't speak for the weather at Old Bridge NJ, but here in NYC the fog was thick. viz was less than 100 yards, but the layer did appear to be thin... The tops of the buildings were noticably clearer.

What a maroon. Bruce, Walt Kelley was right!

-Skip

Last edited:
Skip, all I ask is you hold on before you start making judgement calls. How ironic that the kids did make another flight...to a hospital.

Richard said:
Skip, all I ask is you hold on before you start making judgement calls. How ironic that the kids did make another flight...to a hospital.

You are right, of course. However, it is hard not to. Two prior careless and reckless busts, and VFR into IMC. It is hard to keep an open mind.

-Skip

Richard said:

No, Richard, in this case we do need to make a judgement. The first paragraph of that story says it all: no instrument rating, and cited twice for careless and reckless.

This pilot put the passengers at risk by flying in those conditions, in a demanding aircraft.

If nothing else, this accident "proves" to politicians two things: 1) that we, as pilots, are repeatedly irresponsible, and 2) that the FAA is powerless to stop bad pilots. This is EXACTLY the sort of case that leads to new restrictions on us GA pilots. BOHICA.

We are our own worst enemy. I am fully in agreement with the others that say we need to raise the minimum standards and get these kinds of pilots on the ground. This one killed his wife and injured his children.

No, Richard, we need to be proactive, and speak up loud and clear.

wsuffa said:
If nothing else, this accident "proves" to politicians two things: 1) that we, as pilots, are repeatedly irresponsible, and 2) that the FAA is powerless to stop bad pilots. This is EXACTLY the sort of case that leads to new restrictions on us GA pilots. BOHICA.

Not just pilots, either. Look at all the little handslaps for A&Ps putting in unapproved parts, doing bogus annuals, etc. An A&P-IA freind once put it very well: "The only people afraid of the FAA are the honest ones..."

wsuffa said:
No, Richard, in this case we do need to make a judgement. The first paragraph of that story says it all: no instrument rating, and cited twice for careless and reckless.

This pilot put the passengers at risk by flying in those conditions, in a demanding aircraft.

We are our own worst enemy. I am fully in agreement with the others that say we need to raise the minimum standards and get these kinds of pilots on the ground. This one killed his wife and injured his children.

No, Richard, we need to be proactive, and speak up loud and clear.
What he said!!

If we as a community do not stand up and condemn such actions then we will be lumped into the same hole that these pilots have dug for themselves

Last edited:
I posted on this last night, not that it matters....

In the previous post I included weather in NJ

KEWR 130251Z 23004KT 2 1/2SM BR FEW140 11/09 A3001
KMMU 130245Z 23005KT 2SM BR OVC004 11/10 A3002 RMK LAST
KTEB 130251Z 25006KT 4SM R06/5500VP6000FT MIFG CLR 11/09 A3000
KCDW 130253Z 00000KT 1 3/4SM BR OVC002 11/11 A3001 RMK AO2 SLPNO T01060106

Not a good night to be VFR. Here in the city you couldn't see most of the tall buildings. I bet it was worse out in NJ. The pilot was not IR. I simply don't understand how somebody can invest all that money in a twin, and not bother to get the instrument rating.

Judging from the huge number of flights I've cancelled recently: an airplane is useless as a travel tool in the NE if you don't have either 1) a ton of flexibility or 2) an instrument rating.

smigaldi said:
What he said!!

If we as a community do not stand up and condemt such actions then we will be lumped into the same hole that these pilots have dug for themselves
When I was flying out of South Jersey (VAY) there was an old guy who did a Vmc rollover after attempting a go around following a prop strike. He and his wife walked away from that one.

A few months later he bought a Cessna twin (421 I think) and got a reputation for runway incursions. A number of pilots called the FSDO who basically said "We didn't see it, we can't do anything".

One CFI I know almost crashed when this guy pulled out onto the runway when he was on short final. He called the FAA hotline 800 number in Washington instead of the Philly FSDO. This time he got action resulting in a 709 checkride which severly limited the flying the guy could do. Not too long after that he quit flying altogether.

All of which is a wordy way of saying that there are things we can do when we see reckless pilots...

Bob - I sat on the taxiway during a lesson once after that guy taxied off the side of the runway, closing it for almost an hour. He's stopped flying now.

On weather in NJ the other night - I remember looking out the window at home (near Trenton - about 25 miles from Old Bridge) and visibility was about 400 feet (based on how far away the farthest house that I could see is). I listened to the METAR for TTN and they were listing 1/4 SM in fog with vertical visibility of 100 feet.

Not a good idea to attempt a landing without an IR in that.

MSmith said:
On weather in NJ the other night - I remember looking out the window at home (near Trenton - about 25 miles from Old Bridge) and visibility was about 400 feet (based on how far away the farthest house that I could see is). I listened to the METAR for TTN and they were listing 1/4 SM in fog with vertical visibility of 100 feet.

Not a good idea to attempt a landing without an IR in that.

Not a good idea to attempt a landing with an IR in that.

How can he possibly have believed he could pull it off? Engage autopilot, call for help, confess transgressions, RV to nearest VMC or, if no other choice (fuel? He'd flown from Florida...), RV to huge runway with ILS. Maybe live to see tomorrow.

We learn from such as these... but what costly tuition!

MSmith said:
Bob - I sat on the taxiway during a lesson once after that guy taxied off the side of the runway, closing it for almost an hour. He's stopped flying now.
Good news, Mark...

A friend of mine has known him for something like 25 years, and told me that at one time the guy was a really proficient pilot. He went on to say that the last time he flew with him (which was probably 5-6 years ago now) the guy couldn't find VAY (he was right over it) and was going to call Mcguire RAPCON for vectors. My friend finally talked him into a 180...

I almost had a head on with him when I was a student. I was doing a pre-solo checkride with the then Chief Pilot of the school (Jude), announced a departure on 8, was about to turn x-wind when both of us realized that our friend was about to turn base to final for 26. Jude listed "collission (sic) avoidance" in my log book that day...

Back