Send good thoughts and prayers to Jay Honeck

Well, it's official. According to our flood insurance adjuster, each and every room in the hotel must be gutted.

And the office. And our home.

All drywall and insulation in every room must be cut out and removed up to 4' up. In the Flying Tigers and Amelia Earhart rooms it must go up 6'.

All flooring must be busted up and removed. All subfloor must be cut out, and all new subfloor installed.

The entire bottom of the hotel must be replaced. All doors, many windows, and all siding must be replaced.

All roofs must be replaced. All electrical thst got wet must go.

The big sign must be replaced.

All fences must be replaced.

All furniture and appliances must be replaced.

This is going to be a long, long road, but we will be better in the end!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Well, it's official. According to our flood insurance adjuster, each and every room in the hotel must be gutted.

And the office. And our home.

All drywall and insulation in every room must be cut out and removed up to 4' up. In the Flying Tigers and Amelia Earhart rooms it must go up 6'.

All flooring must be busted up and removed. All subfloor must be cut out, and all new subfloor installed.

The entire bottom of the hotel must be replaced. All doors, many windows, and all siding must be replaced.

All roofs must be replaced. All electrical thst got wet must go.

The big sign must be replaced.

All fences must be replaced.

All furniture and appliances must be replaced.

This is going to be a long, long road, but we will be better in the end!

What is the zoning for that lot ? Would you be able to go up one or two floors and put a Holiday Inn Express or a Hampton on the site ?

@Jay Honeck -- Will you be improving or upgrading anything to make the rooms better than before?
Yes. All the craptastic fiberglass tubs will be junked. I envision some sort of nice tiled walk-in shower. We plan to upgrade the HVAC, too. And any old paneling will go.

I will never use vinyl plank flooring again. That crap held the water up against the subfloor, in the six rooms I did with it, and helped to ruin it.

I wish we could make the small rooms and bathrooms larger, but we are limited in what we can do. That would have required a complete loss/bulldozer to fix.

Otherwise, we long ago ran out of amenities to add to the experience. There is simply nothing to add that hasn't been added.

Sadly, we lost our vast collection of aviation movies on DVD. Over 200 DVDs that were very popular to borrow...

What is the zoning for that lot ? Would you be able to go up one or two floors and put a Holiday Inn Express or a Hampton on the site ?
I would die before becoming a McChain Motel.

As far as going up a story, that would have required a complete loss/bulldozer.

I would die before becoming a McChain Motel.

As far as going up a story, that would have required a complete loss/bulldozer.

Doesn't have to be a chain, just the general form factor with the option to get more rooms out of a good location.

Does the insurance require repair of the existing structure or could you take the money and buldoze the site for a new build ?

Sadly, we lost our vast collection of aviation movies on DVD. Over 200 DVDs that were very popular to borrow...

Alright, here we go. I challenge anyone willing to part with an aviation movie DVD to donate to Jay. I'm gonna look but don't think I have any. Wife likes to cruise consignment type joints, so while she checks out tea cups, and uh, massagers, I'll search for DVDs. I used to have "The Great Waldo Pepper" but I haven't seen that in years. Someone probably borrowed it.

Get 'er done!

I'm somewhat surprised that the DVD collection was destroyed ... but googling shows that's a real thing.

I'm somewhat surprised that the DVD collection was destroyed ... but googling shows that's a real thing.
Me, too!

But all the boxes and labels turn to mush, and the disks look...funny...after salt water immersion.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bite your tongue! Heresy! Blasphemer!

A generic hotel, unacceptable!!!

Yes. All the craptastic fiberglass tubs will be junked. I envision some sort of nice tiled walk-in shower. We plan to upgrade the HVAC, too. And any old paneling will go.

I will never use vinyl plank flooring again. That crap held the water up against the subfloor, in the six rooms I did with it, and helped to ruin it.

I wish we could make the small rooms and bathrooms larger, but we are limited in what we can do. That would have required a complete loss/bulldozer to fix.

Otherwise, we long ago ran out of amenities to add to the experience. There is simply nothing to add that hasn't been added.

If you have a list of the movies, I'd be happy to resupply what I can. For those of us that can't come down and help victims of any of the hurricanes except by $ donations, helping you restore the DVD library is something unique and specific to Amelia's Landing.

If you have a list of the movies, I'd be happy to resupply what I can. For those of us that can't come down and help victims of any of the hurricanes except by $ donations, helping you restore the DVD library is something unique and specific to Amelia's Landing.
As much as I appreciate the sentiment, right now there is no hotel to put the DVDs in. And our home does not exist.

We are living in our hangar.

Once we get the office area reconstructed, we will talk!

As much as I appreciate the sentiment, right now there is no hotel to put the DVDs in. And our home does not exist.

We are living in our hangar.

Once we get the office area reconstructed, we will talk!

In that case we'll send you hundreds of giant Teddy Bears!

Kidding aside, I'm sure it must be quite stressful it your shoes. I can't imagine what you must be facing right now. We own a five bedroom house about 600 feet from the ocean on Hatteras island, the hurricane magnet of the east coast.that said, as stressed as I get about it every time we hear of a storm heading for the east coast, it's not our home. I wish you good luck in the rebuilding process and look forward to seeing Amelia's Landinng come back better and stronger...

Jay, I've got several of the Long Props Big Rocks STOL discs when you're ready.

Just a quick uodate.

It's now Day 23 since we were let back on the island. Power and water have been restored. Some phone and Internet are back. Cable TV will be another few weeks.

We are all still living on refugee food, served by volunteers. We lost our home and over half of the hotel, and it will be months to rebuild. We have so far spent $86,000 out of pocket without receiving a nickel from our gold-plated windstorm and flood insurance -- the insurance we pay $20,000/year for.

These insurance companies are fronts for the federal government, and they are "overwhelmed". So they stiff us in the meantime. Not so much as an email.

Roofers are roofing. Demolition is continuing. New fridges and hot water heaters are here and being installed. The city is supposed to restore natural gas service to us later today. We have taken in 14 homeless people who have lost everything, and are charging just $200/week so they have a place to lay their head.

Life goes on.

If you've ever stayed in our awesome Blackbird Room, this picture will be rather shocking.
2a8455c9a2d0b6c86b4e95a11fdc5c8c.jpg

@Jay Honeck -- I would like to "stay" at your hotel for a night or two this weekend. Are you set-up to take payment?

Thanks Jay, God bless you and all those affected. I was thinking about y'all last night 'cause we don't hear anything with these other hurricanes. Orange farmers are saying about 70% of the orange groves are destroyed and don't know if they'll recover. Heck of a hurricane season and it's not over yet.

I was so looking forward to an October visit to PortA, sigh. I'd better give them some more time to dig out. :(

Jay,

Thanks for the update. I can't imagine going through that kind of hell. Gotta hope the insurance company sends some money before the cash-on-hand runs out.

Jay,

I am happy to offer my skills as an IT architect/engineer as best as I can. I appreciate everything you do for us pilots down there in Port-A

Life turned upside down and still helping 14 less fortunate, you are a class act Jay, I hope you keep making forward progress.

Just saw the good news: Amelia’s Landing is open for tourism again.

Jay and Mary, it’s amazing what you did in the past few weeks. We certainly hope that we will make it to you guys soon.

When Jay and Mary are ready to restock their DVD collection a supply will emanate from the bowels of the Steinholme. I don’t know that they’re all aviation movies, but they all have airplanes in them...

Flew down to Rockport to fish with my cousin Thurs & Fri. We drove around a bit to check out the area, including Port Aransas. What a mess. And what a testament to perseverance. Lots of work and rebuilding going on. Some not so much. Swung by Amelia's Landing Thurs afternoon, did not stop in, but looked decent on the exterior. Hope you all fare well in the long run.

Just saw the good news: Amelia’s Landing is open for tourism again.

Jay and Mary, it’s amazing what you did in the past few weeks. We certainly hope that we will make it to you guys soon.
Yes, yes we are!

Our new sign is awesome, no? :)
e26b1631dad32b6ed4ad05b6cce0ad67.jpg

It's been 63 days in the making, from the time we we were allowed back on the island to today, but our first newly constructed room is on-line as of this afternoon! We passed the city's final inspection with flying colors -- and the room was rented for the weekend two nanoseconds later! :)

I give you...our NEW Amelia Earhart Room. With all new everything, and a beautiful tiled full-sized shower!

The newest hotel room in Texas! :)
3961b1c96661c6545625e1a773a14266.jpg
4b6efebea600451a49214d8f2d6179f0.jpg
ccecd39bcda29be9b82e6570522dd2c4.jpg
ef4f1a3ee70a8057ae441b2ee4a3b4b6.jpg
b282ac92c5166f1e7814577b968a744a.jpg
923123aa99c01fc5f0081d2a10895cb2.jpg
d23080a851e3e0f437b9335268949ff5.jpg
5f2ff0e3d2eb7e16525389d8dc843c96.jpg

I’m sure he must be too busy to post,wish him luck .

Back