Senator Santorum Speaks!

Gary

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
Lo and behold, I received a response from Senator Santorum concerning the National Weather Service Duties Act of 2005. Quite frankly, I still do not understand Sen. Santorum’s position on this or why the bill even needs to be introduced. I think there are far more important matters to be taken up by the Senate than delineating the market place for private weather providers.

My read is that since Accu-weather is based in State College PA, Accu-weather is a contributor to Sen Santorum’s campaign, and they wish to expand their own market, they have prevailed to Senator Santorum to restrict the activities of the National Weather Service.

Sen. Santorum justifies his position by stating that weather services will not change (nor can the NWS expand their services), that the NWS resources should be spent elseware, and that the CORE responsibilities of the NWS is providing severe weather forecasts and most importantly, “several hundred Pennsylvanians will keep their job”! I have some real problems with the way Sen. Santorum evaluates the role of the NWS. To restrict the ability of the NWS to provide expanded services (some of which probably haven’t yet been invented) in the interest of allowing private industry to increase their own market share is just plain wrong!

Sen Santorum mentions that the NWS is seeking to duplicate services already provided, and doing nothing will threaten the dissemination of quality weather services now free to most consumers. No idea of what he’s referring to.

To me this bill is nothing more than a payback to a contributor to his campaign and will do nothing to improve weather information dissemination or forecasting.

If Accu-weather can successfully compete with the NWS and provide better quality information or forecasts… well go ahead. Most of the raw data comes from the NWS anyway and if the consumer wishes to pay for a private opinion, go for it. But to restrict the activities of the NWS is a bad idea.

Gary said:
Sen Santorum mentions that the NWS is seeking to duplicate services already provided, and doing nothing will threaten the dissemination of quality weather services now free to most consumers. No idea of what he’s referring to.
<snip>
Most of the raw data comes from the NWS anyway and if the consumer wishes to pay for a private opinion, go for it. But to restrict the activities of the NWS is a bad idea.

Santorum is not being truthful in his letter to you, as posted in the .pdf.

Here's a link to the actual bill. See what he's really trying to do...

Politicians are liars. This one figured you'd never read the actual document.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.786:

wsuffa said:
Santorum is not being truthful in his letter to you, as posted in the .pdf.

Here's a link to the actual bill. See what he's really trying to do...

Politicians are liars. This one figured you'd never read the actual document.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.786:

MODE OF ISSUANCE- Data, information, guidance, forecasts, and warnings shall be issued under paragraph (1) through a set of data portals designed for volume access by commercial providers of products or services and by such other mechanisms as the Secretary of Commerce considers appropriate for purposes of that paragraph.
The NWS must collect the data, get it out "in real time" and only give it to pay services which will give it out in something other than "real time."

What a travesty.

Back