Senator George Allen's response to my letter re: NWS

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Dear Elizabeth:

Thank you for contacting me regarding proposed changes to the National Weather Service (NWS). I appreciate your concerns and value the opportunity to respond.

As you may be aware, the National Weather Services Duties Act of 2005, S. 786, was recently introduced in the Senate. This legislation is designed to redefine the role and purpose of NWS to better reflect our nation’s needs in the 21st century. Among the changes, the most significant change would be the prohibition of NWS of providing or assisting entities with products or services that are not directly related to the preparation or issuance of sever weather forecasts and warnings. This legislation, as I understand, is intended to focus the mission of NWS to severe weather services and allow the private sector to provide non-severe weather services.

While I recognize the importance of ensuring private-sector competition, I also believe it is important to ensure the safety and security of the public. I stand with my colleagues and the President in an effort to reduce bureaucratic redundancies; however, I continue to believe that legislative decisions, such as this, must be made in the best interest of the American taxpayer. As I continue to review this legislation and weigh its possible effects on our local communities, please be assured that should it come before me on the Senate floor, I will certainly keep your thoughtful comments in mind.

Once again, I appreciate you alerting me to this matter and hope you will not hesitate to contact me again about issues important to you. If you would like to receive an e-mail newsletter about my initiatives to improve America, please sign up on my website (<http://allen.senate.gov>). It is an honor to serve you in the United States Senate, and I look forward to working with you to make Virginia and America a better place to live, learn, work and raise a family.

With warm regards, I remain

Sincerely,

Senator George Allen

Hard, then, to avoid rampant cynicism, isn't it?

4 paragrahps to -not- take anything that looks like a stand on the issue.

This guy will go far in politics! :dunno: :dunno:

mgkdrgn said:

You folks aren't near cynical enough. If he agreed with Elizabeth he would have been falling all over himself noting how much he represented her personal interests. On the other hand, this letter is the official "I may need your vote at election time. On the off chance that you might miss the actual roll call, I will avoid telling you that I don't give a damn what you think--I'm voting for the bill" response.

Check the roll call later to see if I read Congressional tea leaves.

good for you for writting him in the first place Elizabeth, If all of us would take the time to let our elected officails know what we think and want, we might actually have representation some day.

mgkdrgn said:

He already has. He is a former Governor of Virginia.

Originally Posted by mgkdrgn

wsuffa said:
He already has. He is a former Governor of Virginia.

Oh, I didn't catch the sarcasm there... thought it was a serious comment B)

sierra said:
Originally Posted by mgkdrgn

Oh, I didn't catch the sarcasm there... thought it was a serious comment B)

I though for sure everybody understood you promote incompetance.... ;)

aka $h't floats.

Michael said:
good for you for writting him in the first place Elizabeth, If all of us would take the time to let our elected officails know what we think and want, we might actually have representation some day.

Wouldn't that be nice? :)

It really doesn't work that way, you have to spend money in Washington to get anything done. True, it sometimes happens that popular opinion makes a difference, but it won't on a subject like this, WAY too far below the RADAR screen of the American Public.

Ed got it right, BTW...

Good Job. You got him thinking.

The democrats have already turned this into an 2006 issue (they oppose it). They already have mailers and ads running in Penn. The risk now is that Sandorum sneaks this into another bill.

Back