Senate Briefly Recesses After Plane Scare

"I told you so."

I knew it wouldn't end with the last debacle.... and we will never stop it, not with any amount of pilot education, any amount of emails, any amount of laser light systems, any amount of certificate penalties, any amount of financial hits, even a shoot down WILL NOT STOP THE INCURSIONS. That is just the nature of humans and pilots.
If anything, we need to have MORE 'incidents' so the people in these areas learn to accept the presence and potential risk of light aircraft or the people in power stop alarming the population with the evacuations.
It's either that or give up all our freedoms of travel and ground all GA craft permanently.

This guy was flying a Canadian registration - C-GDAM.

Local FSS has changed their briefing here a little asking if I'm aware of TRFs and restricted areas. Said they are getting about two incursions per day somewhere. Told him that's why I was calling. He suggested flight following or maintaining communications in some manner.

There's no doubt, Bubba is going to keep blundering into these obvious areas. I can half understand the temporary ones that pop up and someone is taking a short local hop--not condoning, but can see how a pop up can cause an issue. If a pilot can't keep out of the ADIZ--he/she just shouldn't be flying sans some mitigating factor like heart attack in the plane or similiar emergency.

Dave

MSmith said:
This guy was flying a Canadian registration - C-GDAM.

Yep, I caught that too.... and I bet he was repeating his call sign over and over... "G Dam, G Dam, G Dam...."

Which, of course, sounds like "JDAM" on the radio ... scaring the controllers ....

This one was significantly less stupid than the 150:

Mercury News Article

The Canadian twin Cessna had experienced a lightning strike and was having radio problems. The pilot was trying to go around some heavy weather when he flew into the ADIZ.

Steve said:
I was at an SEC baseball game last Saturday. Big ol' sporting event TFR centered right on the ball field at Starkville, MS.

Just before the game a red and white Piper Cherokee flies over the field at <1000agl. If he had not been directly over the field I could have read his N number.

Fortunately there were no IEDs dropped on the field.

btw, the FAA has stated that use of ATC services does not guarantee TFR avoidance...

Agree. But, I can see the day coming - if these continue - where you will have to file and fly under ATC guidance. Apparently the FAA is looking at creating Enhanced Class Bravo again around DC....

Steve said:
which is exactly what the airlines have been lobbying for for years...with limited capacity guess who the "system" will take first...

GA already gets second-rate in many cities, particularly Class B.... I'm thinking Chicago, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Phoenix...

I'm not in any way condoning the actions of the Bubbas--kick the tares and light the fares, as Dr. Chein says--but I'd like to see a database of who is signing these guys off. Maybe there is something these guys have in common--other than negligence. Maybe they all got dropped on their head as a baby, maybe they all drank from the same city water, or maybe their last BFR was done by a CFI trained by the same...you get the idea.

Back