Sen. Kennedy's Plane Hit by Lightning

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
Sat May 13, 10:46 PMUPDATED 1 HOUR 59 MINUTES AGOBOSTON - A plane carrying U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy from western Massachusetts to his home on the coast was struck by lightning Saturday and had to be diverted to New Haven, Conn., his spokeswoman said.
The eight-seat Cessna Citation 550 plane lost all electrical power, including communications, and the pilot had to fly the plane manually, according to spokeswoman Melissa Wagoner. No one was hurt.
The Democrat had just delivered the commencement address at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in North Adams and was on his way to his Cape Cod home when the plane was struck around 4 p.m., she said.
The jet landed safely at New Haven at 4:11 p.m., said Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Arlene Murray. A report was filed with the agency, which will look into the incident, she said.
Kennedy planned to stay in Connecticut overnight because he was scheduled to return to western Massachusetts on Sunday to deliver a commencement address at Springfield College, Wagoner said.

Maybe God is a conservative after all :dunno: :D

CapeCodJay said:
Sat May 13, 10:46 PMUPDATED 1 HOUR 59 MINUTES AGOBOSTON - A plane carrying U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy from western Massachusetts to his home on the coast was struck by lightning Saturday and had to be diverted to New Haven, Conn., his spokeswoman said.
The eight-seat Cessna Citation 550 plane lost all electrical power, including communications, and the pilot had to fly the plane manually, according to spokeswoman Melissa Wagoner. No one was hurt.
The Democrat had just delivered the commencement address at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in North Adams and was on his way to his Cape Cod home when the plane was struck around 4 p.m., she said.
The jet landed safely at New Haven at 4:11 p.m., said Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Arlene Murray. A report was filed with the agency, which will look into the incident, she said.
Kennedy planned to stay in Connecticut overnight because he was scheduled to return to western Massachusetts on Sunday to deliver a commencement address at Springfield College, Wagoner said.

Nah. He recognizes decadence and amorality, however.

CapeCodJay said:

:lightning: :lightning: :lightning: If God were a Conservative, there would have been a *poof* and Kennedy and plane/crew would have been history. No, I think even God likes a good joke, and Kennedy is one of the biggest ones out there.:rofl: :drink: :rofl:

CapeCodJay said:

All humor aside, I wonder why they did not divert them to Westover ARB, which would have been a lot closer, Bradley, Stewart....a host of others with a lot more runway and capabilities?

Dr. Bruce? Ron? Anyone else? Any ideas?

Let's see what we can associate with Teddy the red nose Sen.

:blowingkisses:

:drink: :wineglass:

:redface:

:lightning:

:cheers:

There that is a good representation! Don't even get me started with Ethel!

Last edited:
F.W. Birdman said:
All humor aside, I wonder why they did not divert them to Westover ARB, which would have been a lot closer, Bradley, Stewart....a host of others with a lot more runway and capabilities?

My guess is that the plane was already on a weather diversion when the strike happened. KHVN just happened to be close.

But, as noted, that is a guess.

-Skip

F.W. Birdman said:

A good question. You ever know about news accounts. They probably didn't have total electrical failure and could still deploy reversers....you never can tell what the heck from a new report.

Favorite line from the article:

The eight-seat Cessna Citation 550 plane lost all electrical power, including communications, and the pilot had to fly the plane manually, according to spokeswoman Melissa Wagoner.
OH NO! NOT THAT!

wbarnhill said:
Favorite line from the article:
The eight-seat Cessna Citation 550 plane lost all electrical power, including communications, and the pilot had to fly the plane manually, according to spokeswoman Melissa Wagoner.
OH NO! NOT THAT!
And stuff like this makes national news (and about 20 times on the local news in CT).... It amazes me how the media works. The local news here was even worse. They also said during the broadcast news that his plane lost all radio contact and had made a sucessful manual emergency landing. I do give credit to the pilots though. I have seen lightning strike aftermath photos of aircraft and have heard many stories. I'm glad they were able to land in one piece.

Remember to not fly your plane manually on every flight unless it's an emergency!!! (Disclaimer: Don't actually listen to prior statement)

As Doc. Bruce would say: Sigh.

Last edited:
Another sensationalisitc report from our vaunted media. "Had to fly the plane manually". What does that mean? Pilots have difficulty if there is no auto pilot? Ridiculous.

"and the pilot had to fly the plane manually"

The news announced that last night absolutely breathlessly, with the preface that he was lucky to be alive.

Oh no... had to fly the plane manually.... what a magnificent feat of aviating. Flying a plane manually will catapault that crew into aviation legend!!!! My wife and I were rolling on the floor because of the anchor wench's wide eyed excitement :)

Joe Williams said:
"and the pilot had to fly the plane manually"

The news announced that last night absolutely breathlessly, with the preface that he was lucky to be alive.

Oh no... had to fly the plane manually.... what a magnificent feat of aviating. Flying a plane manually will catapault that crew into aviation legend!!!! My wife and I were rolling on the floor because of the anchor wench's wide eyed excitement :)

You have an anchor wench? We merely have an anchor trollop. I think a wench is preferable. But Teddy would not care. Any port in a storm, so they say.....:rolleyes:

Thank goodness we live a few thousand miles away. This didn't even make the news out here. Of course, since I live in one of the reddest of the red states, pretty much everyone, even the Democrats, think Kennedy is a huge joke who is completely unworthy of attention. (Idaho Democrats are somewhat to the right of Mass Republicans.) Why do people from Mass keep electing him? There are lots of smart people in Mass.

Anyone here from Mass who can clear up my puzzlement?

Judy

judypilot said:
Thank goodness we live a few thousand miles away. This didn't even make the news out here. Of course, since I live in one of the reddest of the red states, pretty much everyone, even the Democrats, think Kennedy is a huge joke who is completely unworthy of attention. (Idaho Democrats are somewhat to the right of Mass Republicans.) Why do people from Mass keep electing him? There are lots of smart people in Mass.

Anyone here from Mass who can clear up my puzzlement?

Judy

I spent 5 months there when I was in high school (Dad was on sabbatical from WSU) the first part of 1969. He drove off the bridge about the time we were heading home. It's this simple, Judy. In that state Kennedy is spelled GOD.

BTW, one of the state's US Senators at the time was named Brook. His daughter was in my English class at Newton High School. Really nice girl. I hope life has worked out well for her. We had a substitute teacher one day who was praising Senator Brook up one side and down the other without realizing that Rowena was his daughter. Poor girl was blushing mightily. Someone finally told the teacher and it was her turn to be embarrased. Great fun. :D

CapeCodJay said:
A plane carrying ....... was struck by lightning Saturday and had to be diverted to New Haven, Conn., his spokeswoman said.

Sounds to me like God needs a little target practice. :rofl::rofl::hairraise:

Ron Levy said:
Y'ever hear the sound lightning makes when it hits a plane? "KOPECHNE!"

Y'ever hear the sound of a non-partisan laughing his Go%da#m ass off??

Bwaaaahh haah haah haahh haah haah haah haah haah!!!!

A little out of date, but still pithy -- has anyone heard the Ted Kennedy Jig? Probably best posted in Hanger Talk.

Back