Seminole Inverted - Gear Up in Grass

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by midwestpa24, May 16, 2019.

1. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    Tantalum likes this.
  2. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    J
    The article states the ground/tower told them to use the grass runway. I would have declined that offer/instruction and landed on the runway.

Brad Smith, wilkersk, Zeldman and 2 others like this.
  3. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    Probably didn't want to close the runway. Sorry, close the runway, I'm not chancing getting hurt by flipping.

GMascelli likes this.
  4. Jamie Kirk

Jamie Kirk Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    JamieK
    If making a emergency landing because you don’t get 3 green on a soft field wouldn’t it be better to leave gear up to avoid flipping?

Now if on concrete then yes keep whatever gear is down to soften impact but on soft field you have a very good chance of flipping.

5. GMascelli

GMascelli En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    GaryM
    It looks like they did a gear down but nose not locked. With the mains down and locked I would have chosen paved runway, despite what I was directed. Heck, just keep holding it off, it belongs to the insurance company once the gear wouldn’t lock down.

Zeldman, MauleSkinner and Bobanna like this.
  6. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
    Looks like bad advise, the PIC probably should have opted on the paved runway, or landed in the grass gear up.

NordicDave and GMascelli like this.
  7. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    Telling them to land in the grass next to the runway really doesn't help anything as far as closing the runway goes. Once it flips, you're still going to have to close the runway while everything gets sorted out.

8. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Yep, uneven grass surface or smooth pavement, I'm going for the smooth pavement every time.

9. NordicDave

NordicDave Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    NordicDave
    Some of the best emergency landing advice I had during training, "the insurance company now owns the aircraft, get it down with least chance of bodily harm".

-David

10. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    I still contemplate how I would handle a gear problem. On one hand I know skidding on the asphalt is way safer than grass from the stand point of flipping over. On the other hand my fuel sumps are on the belly of the airplane pretty much at it's lowest point. Seems like my options are staying upright and possibly burning, or potentially flipping but likely not catching on fire.

Bobanna likes this.
  11. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    I think your reasoning would make sense if the NTSB website had lots of accident reports on gear up landing on pavement that damaged the fuel sumps and led to a fire. But I don't think I've ever read such a report.

But then again I don't think I've ever read any accident report on a Venture which the plane I assume you're talking about. That aside, what we do know is regardless of type, sliding the belly on pavement is likely to keep the plane upright and not guaranteed to cause a fire. What we also know is sliding the belly on grass could flip the plane if anything snagged. And depending on what snagged, a lack of fire is not guaranteed.

I wouldn't want to have to exit a burning plane. But I really wouldn't want to have to exit a burning plane that was also upside down. I think I'd go for pavement.

Bobanna, WannFly and Grum.Man like this.
  12. iflyvfr

iflyvfr Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg
    This reminds me of an incident several years ago at an airport I frequent. Pilot forgot to put the gear down on landing and just a couple feet off the runway, someone inside the FBO got on the radio and hollered GO AROUND GO AROUND!! Well the pilot dutifully complied with this order but not before grinding the prop down several inches and chewing on the asphalt. He horsed it back in the air, and disappeared. A witness told me he figured the guy augered in behind a treeline but eventually he reappeared and landed. He'd have been safer if he'd committed to the gear up.

Personally I think both parties are to blame but of course the pilot gets to shoulder 100%. One dude has a good story, the other a good repair bill.

13. timwinters

timwinters Ejection Handle Pulled PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    LTD
    Centralia is an uncontrolled airfield, thus, it was possibly just some Honyock working in the FBO, or some pilot in the ground with a handheld, who told them that.

One person on board was an instructor...and he (possibly) listens to an unknown idiot on the ground? If accurate, if I was the student, I think I'd be finding a a new instructor.

14. woodchucker

woodchucker Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    woodchucker
    If that was the case, my guess is he was talking to someone he trusted. Wasn’t he in the air for something close to an hour burning off gas? The landing was planned in advance.

15. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    I am thinking, speculating, that both the instructor and student were low time pilots. With that in mind this might have been the very first anomaly in an airplane besides a sudden use of an emesis bag or a window popping open for the both of them. So listening to a calm voice might have persuaded the use of the grass instead of the smooth pavement.

16. IK04

IK04 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    LNXGUY
    ALWAYS use the pavement. Go somewhere else or land on a taxiway if blocking the runway is a concern...

It's your emergency.

17. N1120A

N1120A Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1120A
    1) Is the grass runway there informal? Cause they don't have a grass runway published, just 2 asphalt ones.

2) Not a chance in the world I'm landing that on grass.

18. flyer770

flyer770 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flyer770
    I’m landing on a full runway if I can’t get the gear down since they’re wider than most taxiways. If I can I’ll be willing to go to an airport with two runways but I prefer stacking the deck in my favor as much as I can.

GMascelli likes this.
  19. Bobanna

Bobanna Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bobanna
    Hindsight is always 50/50

Zeldman, Huckster79 and benyflyguy like this.
  20. benyflyguy

benyflyguy Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    benyflyguy
    I doubt thats a grass runway. The grass look at least a foot long and thick!!
    Not sure reasoning behind trying grass. How much damage can one do to a runway belly landing it??

21. 3393RP

3393RP Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    I noticed the "grass" almost came up to the waist of those milling around the plane.