[Semi-Aviation] Expedited passport service

airheadpenguin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
airheadpenguin
Next weekend I'm doing an Pilots n Paws flight up to KPQI in very north eastern Maine. I don't currently have a passport, but will be traveling internationally for work in October anyway.

So my thought is that if I'm going to be that close to the border it would be good to have anyway incase something happens and I end up landing in Canada.

The passport agency wants proof of international travel within 2 weeks to expedite. Proof to them is confirmed airline itinerary or a letter from work stating my need for international travel.

My thought it to calmly explain what I'm doing with PnP and that I have a hotel in Canada for the night (with proof of course). For the folks who've done this in the past any insight into whether or not it will work?

There are a few other emergency airfields around PQI without going into Canada. Even if you need the "Pvt" Loring runway.

Some how I would not think a pleasure trip to Canada constitutes justification for an expedited passport.

You're right there is very little justification to do this. It's really just to make my life easier.

There aren't a lot of good options in that part of new Brunswick

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Do you have an existing passport in your possession even if it is expired? Frankly, standard processing isn't that slow these days and if you go standard and you put a "date of travel" up pretty near in the future, they push it along to try to make that.

No my last one was stolen on a smash and grab after I got back to San Francisco a few years ago and reported as such

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've not done it, but I have heard of folks booking a refundable ticket or putting a ticket on hold with an airline that still allows holds & using that itinerary. Just make sure you're not making a false statement or committing perjury.

I didn't think they needed that proof for "expedited" processing, but I believe it's required if you do a walk-in issuance at offices that do same-day/next day issuances.

I didn't think they needed that proof for "expedited" processing, but I believe it's required if you do a walk-in issuance at offices that do same-day/next day issuances.

Correct, pay the fee and get expedited processing. No support required.

Never done the walk-in so dunno 'bout that.

I've done the walk-in, one day thing but I had a letter from my employer stating that I always need to be ready to leave the country.

Next weekend I'm doing an Pilots n Paws flight up to KPQI in very north eastern Maine. I don't currently have a passport, but will be traveling internationally for work in October anyway.

So my thought is that if I'm going to be that close to the border it would be good to have anyway incase something happens and I end up landing in Canada.

The passport agency wants proof of international travel within 2 weeks to expedite. Proof to them is confirmed airline itinerary or a letter from work stating my need for international travel.

My thought it to calmly explain what I'm doing with PnP and that I have a hotel in Canada for the night (with proof of course). For the folks who've done this in the past any insight into whether or not it will work?

You can book a ticket online, print the itinerary, and cancel the transaction before you pay.Worked for me anyway.

The NY Passport office told me that if I provide a letter from myself stating that I'll be flying internationally in my own plane with my own itinerary thag it'd suffice. If I were renting, then just a letter from the school/FBO that I'll be renting their aircraft for an international trip. They seemed pretty lax on the requirements.

The NY Passport office told me that if I provide a letter from myself stating that I'll be flying internationally in my own plane with my own itinerary thag it'd suffice. If I were renting, then just a letter from the school/FBO that I'll be renting their aircraft for an international trip. They seemed pretty lax on the requirements.

Yeah, they don't much care, so long as they have a piece of paper to go with the box to check, they're fine. They get extra money for same day service anyway.

Also - because your last passport was stolen, the website says you will have to fill out form DS-11 and apply in person anyway. Might as well write that self travel letter for your business travel to Canada as soon as practical and ask for faster service.

I did this in 2008 when going to France but I was renewing a current passport. Then I was able to turn it in first thing in the morning, hang out in DC for the day and pick it up at about 3pm the same day. I got that because I traveled up from NC for the day and I asked if I could get same day to avoid the return trip. Plus I legitimately did need it quickly.

Yep, by mail is only available if you have the prior book to send in. I did mine and about three weeks later I think I got on successive days envelopes with my passport, a passport card, and my original now cancelled book back.

Also - because your last passport was stolen, the website says you will have to fill out form DS-11 and apply in person anyway. Might as well write that self travel letter for your business travel to Canada as soon as practical and ask for faster service.

I did this in 2008 when going to France but I was renewing a current passport. Then I was able to turn it in first thing in the morning, hang out in DC for the day and pick it up at about 3pm the same day. I got that because I traveled up from NC for the day and I asked if I could get same day to avoid the return trip. Plus I legitimately did need it quickly.

In-person is not the same as walk-in/same day service. The former is available at any passport acceptance office (many are US Post Offices). The latter (same day) is only available at a limited number of Passport Agency offices. Technically, the acceptance office expedited service is done by mail (expedited mail), the Agency office is done there. Some of that will be changing next year as they consolidate & outsource processing facilities (additional pages will also be going away, you'll need to get a new passport when yours fills).

You can take the stolen passport stuff to any acceptance office & ask for 2-3 week expedited. That does work fine. Same day service requires an agency office.

http://www.travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/expedited.html

Back