Selling my plane

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
I'm listing my plane to start to process of committing to a new plane that will handle my changed mission better. When researching used plane prices, it appears there are many factors in market price.

My question is regarding hours and effect on price.

Are the hours quoted TAC or HOBBS when looking at planes for sale. Is there a Dollar per hour impact on the market? For example, same plane, same year, 600hrs vs 250hrs. What is the value of lower hours vs higher hours in the used market?

You just GOT that plane!

If you look on AOPA vRef, I think the impact is in the neighborhood of $3.50 / hr. At least thats what it said when I recently looked up a high time 182RG

You just GOT that plane!

If you look on AOPA vRef, I think the impact is in the neighborhood of $3.50 / hr. At least thats what it said when I recently looked up a high time 182RG

I know. Stinks cause I love the plane. When I got it I was supposed to be here until I retire but things changed. Still going to the same places but will now be living farther away so the mission changed.

And I know I will take a huge hit on the sale but I am happy that I got it because I think it helped get me through training with more confidence.

What is the airplane you're selling? Your avatar looks like a late model Cessna. :D

2015 T206H with 230 hours. Moving to a twin as my new mission will take me over water.
Call Van Bortel, if you haven't already, they are usually the top bidder on late model Cessnas and if you have found a twin, they can work it as a trade to maybe save you some sales tax.

2015 T206H with 230 hours. Moving to a twin as my new mission will take me over water.
Wow, I wonder what its like to train on new equipment. You could just put some floats on it, no? Just kidding, good luck on the sale.

Wow that is a nice airplane...

Wow, I wonder what its like to train on new equipment. You could just put some floats on it, no? Just kidding, good luck on the sale.

Depends on the water.

I know you were joking, but with where I live I find my single engine amphib much safer than most other options, given all the landable water around here.

Howard at van bortal can most likely find the aircraft you want and take yours as pointed out above the sales tax on 200k adds up unless you have a office in Delaware . are you still thinking of the diesel d42 or whatever its called?

Mulligan needs to just ahead and get a Pilatus or a King Air, even a Cheyenne II or newer maybe. Aren't I so helpful Thomas?

Last edited:
You can probably due much better tax wise, with a trade.

You can probably due much better tax wise, with a trade.

I was thinking that but on a trade, the value most will give will be far less than the tax savings. Just doing the math, I paid $12k in tax on the 206. Selling out right I am sure I can get more than $12k than what a dealer would give on trace value difference.

So yes, I would save a butt load of tax, but I would not come out in the long to if I can sell the plane for more than the difference in trade value.

The only thing to consider is the hassle of selling vs just trading which believe it or. It may be worth the difference

I'm listing my plane to start to process of committing to a new plane that will handle my changed mission better. When researching used plane prices, it appears there are many factors in market price.

My question is regarding hours and effect on price.

Are the hours quoted TAC or HOBBS when looking at planes for sale. Is there a Dollar per hour impact on the market? For example, same plane, same year, 600hrs vs 250hrs. What is the value of lower hours vs higher hours in the used market?

Yes, hours have two effects on price: 1) engines head towards overhaul, divide cost by TBO for approximate hourly devaluation; 2) time also depreciates the airframe, usually by a lesser amount.

How much these two effects are will vary by make and model. Note for the twin you're looking for that there are TWO ENGINES, which may not have the same TSOH. Evaluate them separately if so. Check into type clubs or magazines for the hourly changes on engines and airframes; sometimes these can be found free on the web, sometimes you gotta join first.

Happy hunting! Don't forget a thorough PPI by someone very familiar with the model, who has not been involved in maintaining the aircraft you are looking at.

I have a friend that sold a late model 182 to Van Bortel and he did OK. They pay top dollar and will pick up the plane, too. It is worth a phone call.

Yes, hours have two effects on price: 1) engines head towards overhaul, divide cost by TBO for approximate hourly devaluation; 2) time also depreciates the airframe, usually by a lesser amount.

How much these two effects are will vary by make and model. Note for the twin you're looking for that there are TWO ENGINES, which may not have the same TSOH. Evaluate them separately if so. Check into type clubs or magazines for the hourly changes on engines and airframes; sometimes these can be found free on the web, sometimes you gotta join first.

Happy hunting! Don't forget a thorough PPI by someone very familiar with the model, who has not been involved in maintaining the aircraft you are looking at.

:yeahthat:, good luck with your search...:goofy:

Back