Selling an aerial photo

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Hypothetically speaking, could a private pilot (who acted as PIC) sell an aerial photograph taken on a flight in which its purpose was not to take photographs, though some digital pictures were taken? ...or would this fall under Part 135?

Any clarification is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

It's a good question, and one I've had before myself. Did you make the flight with the intention of selling photos, or did you just find that there was an onterest in ones that were taken? I haven't heard any official word on it either way, though I have my (unsupported) opinions. Ron? Others?

If the purpose of the flight was to collect photographs, and you were paid to do so, I'd say its a commercial operation.

If the purpose of the flight was to fly and you got photos on the way, I'd say it is not.

I think the FAQ file said something about it, but since I don't read deprecated gov't information, I don't think its a reliable source.

It's a good question, and one I've had before myself. Did you make the flight with the intention of selling photos, or did you just find that there was an onterest in ones that were taken? I haven't heard any official word on it either way, though I have my (unsupported) opinions. Ron? Others?

The latter. The purpose of the flight was not to collect photographs to sell, merely to brush up on some maneuvers and ended up taking photographs during a small portion of the flight.

Yes, you can do it. The following letter is copied from a string on the red board.

-Skip

From FAA Legal:

May 11, 1995

Mr. Pritchard H. White
4075 Kitsap Boise, ID 83703

Dear Mr. White:

This refers to your letter of May 5, 1995, requesting an interpretation of Section 135.1(b)(4)(iii) of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) as it applies to the operations, which you propose to conduct.

You indicate that you intend to use your airplane in aerial photography and survey work, sometimes acting as the photographer yourself, and at other times either hiring a photographer or providing an "aerial platform" to be used by other photographers.

You further indicate that your proposed aerial survey work would include environment assessment, wildlife and natural resources surveys, and airborne collection of air samples for meteorology studies.

Your specific request is for an interpretation as to whether these proposed activities would fall within the "aerial photography or survey" exception to the applicability of Part 135 of the FAR. You indicate that your own interpretation is that these operations would fall within the exception, thus permitting you to conduct them under the provisions of Part 91, rather than the more rigorous provisions of Part 135. You ask that we confirm whether your interpretation is correct.

From the information presented by you, it would appear that the sole purpose of your flights would be for aerial photography and survey work. If this is the case, then your operations would appear to fall within the cited exception, and may be conducted under the provisions of Part 91 FAR.

In the event your proposed operations may involve the carriage of passengers from one point to another in addition to aerial photography or survey work, the answer we have provided to you would change. The Agency has consistently interpreted Section 135(b)(4) so that if an aircraft lands at a site other than its origin, the aerial photography or survey exception does not apply. This is due to the fact that the flight takes on the "dual purpose" of both aerial photography or survey and transporting passengers from one point to another for compensation or hire. In this case, the rules of Part 135 would need to be complied with.

One further point requires clarification. You have not indicated what type of pilot certificate you hold, i.e., private pilot certificate, or a commercial pilot certificate, or higher.

To the extent that your operation would be in furtherance of your own business of aerial photography or survey, and you are not carrying persons or property for compensation or hire, then you may do so holding a private pilot certificate. However, to the extent that your operation would involve operating your aircraft as an aerial platform for other photographers, etc., for compensation or hire, you would need to be the holder of at least a commercial pilot certificate in order to act as the pilot.

We hope that this has adequately answered your questions. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Very truly yours,

Leland S. Edwards, Jr.
Attorney

To sum up the previous post, it's a part 91 op and you can do it legally as a private pilot even if the purpose of the flight was to take the photos. It falls under the 'incidental to business' use of the airplane.

I have said for the longest that it's fine to do as a private although I've been challenged by other pilots on numerous occasions.

Back