selling a plane...vref? Or..

alaskan9974

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alaskan9974
Just curious. I'll be upgrading to a six seater in the coming years from my old 182. It's probably not as popular as some of the newer versions but wondering how to get an idea of what my plane would be worth when I go to sell it.

Do most just price it in the same range as others locally or just put a random price up similar to controller etc prices and negotiate. How close does vref come to actual sales. Use it like blue book on cars and just price 10% lower? Buying a new plane isn't contingent on selling what I already have, I just don't need two planes

I used Vref value for a starting point when I purchased my 182A 18 months ago. The sellers were asking about $10,000 more than the Vref value. I ended up buying my 128A for $8,000 less than asking price. TT of engine & airframe, accurate logbooks, & general condition are more meaningful than Vref value.

The bottom line is..what's it worth in your opinion & can the market bare that? Sellers usually over value their airplanes because they're attached to them. No different than real estate.

Vref Online isn't too far off, but I find that you input the variables you want to justify the price. VREF from AOPA was way off on the plane I purchased. It was a lot higher than what I thought the plane was worth (and what I paid for it.)

I would just price your aircraft in line with what others you see are advertised at.

I used Vref value for a starting point when I purchased my 182A 18 months ago. The sellers were asking about $10,000 more than the Vref value. I ended up buying my 128A for $8,000 less than asking price. TT of engine & airframe, accurate logbooks, & general condition are more meaningful than Vref value.

The bottom line is..what's it worth in your opinion & can the market bare that? Sellers usually over value their airplanes because they're attached to them. No different than real estate.
Thanks, I'll see if I can find my old spec sheet. I don't think I put enough money into it to be attached...not yet anyway.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find my old spec sheet. I don't think I put enough money into it to be attached...not yet anyway.
I was thinking 40-50k or so to start. Never sold a plane before but it is pretty high time motor, from my a&p he quoted 2850TT, 1410SMOH, 450stoh, 90SPOH. He suggested I start at 60k and work my way down.

182L, 2003 paint and interior, dual kx165's, adf and digital fame, long range fuel, Bendix Fuel injection system, Garmin G5's, Horton STOL kit, All of Horton Flight Bonus mods, pre oiler, Remote oil filter, Wet vacuum pump, Appareo USB power ports , Horton Aileron & Flap Gap Seals, BAS Harnesses, EGT Gauge Edm 700 with fuel flow, Skytec starter, LED taxi and landing, Firewall mounted battery, Tanis preheat, Wing/cowling/tail/window covers.

In my opinion based on your spec sheet 60K might even be a little on the conservative side. The only thing that jumps out to me is the TT on the engine since overhaul, however, the top at 450 hrs ago is a positive.

It sounds like you have a pretty solid 182. There are always buyers for them.

I mostly looked at what was for sale, and did some comparisons. Something is only worth what someone is going to pay for it.

In my opinion based on your spec sheet 60K might even be a little on the conservative side. The only thing that jumps out to me is the TT on the engine since overhaul, however, the top at 450 hrs ago is a positive.

It sounds like you have a pretty solid 182. There are always buyers for them.

Stop it. I was gonna ask him to sell at 40....

I was thinking 40-50k or so to start. Never sold a plane before but it is pretty high time motor, from my a&p he quoted 2850TT, 1410SMOH, 450stoh, 90SPOH. He suggested I start at 60k and work my way down.

182L, 2003 paint and interior, dual kx165's, adf and digital fame, long range fuel, Bendix Fuel injection system, Garmin G5's, Horton STOL kit, All of Horton Flight Bonus mods, pre oiler, Remote oil filter, Wet vacuum pump, Appareo USB power ports , Horton Aileron & Flap Gap Seals, BAS Harnesses, EGT Gauge Edm 700 with fuel flow, Skytec starter, LED taxi and landing, Firewall mounted battery, Tanis preheat, Wing/cowling/tail/window covers.

Don’t remember what year the L is, but with 1410 SMOH, probably done over 20years a go, the engine is about run out. Yah, I know part 91 doesn’t have to do an OH at TBO, but if you really want to sell it you may have to sell as a run out, and adjust some for the newer cylinders. were they new cylinders or OH. A TOP, doesn’t usually add value unless the cylinders were new. Also, depends on which cylinders. I wouldn’t buy a plane with ECI cylinders at this point.

Just look at the market, vref is a little off.

You can usually determine the asking price by looking at similar planes in Tradeaplane and Controller. Now you can adjust your price if you need to if it doesn't sell. If it sells... well, there's your exact price!

Vref just surprised me. I purchased my 182 in June of 2016. Vref now values it $5,000 higher than it did then.

I guess used airplane prices are creeping up.

Pictures would be nice,do the comps on controller,trade a plane,barnstormers. V ref can be off ,depending on ,what value is added for modern avionics.

The problem with looking at “comps” is that what you are seeing are asking prices, not selling. Some of these are way off either because the owners don’t want to really sell, “I don’t understand honey, no one is calling”. Or, they don’t understand the airplane market and want every penny they spent on the plane back in the sale. Engine time and avionics tend to price the plane. Any paint older than 3-5 years is only valued at 50% of new. The same with avionics.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. The first one has sat for a long, long time, and will until the owner, NOT Bortel, realizes he is not getting back the value of his overhaul, probably done 10 or more years ago. Same with the second.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...2H+SKYLANE&listing_id=2255150&s-type=aircraft

1966 CESSNA 182 **BEAUTIFUL!!! • $91,300 • FOR SALE • Avionics Upgrade!! >ADS-B Out & G-430WAAS; TTAF2900; SMOH620; IFR; Good Paint/Interior; Ask for Pics • Contact Joe Ashmore, Owner - located Scottsboro, AL USA • Telephone: 256-259-4901 . • Posted December

Back