Sellers remorse

taters

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Taters
All in fun ....saw my old bird on the ramp at Lubbock :sad:

Sold this to a fellow Captain at work this summer...glad he has a like new Cessna 150 to teach his brother to fly in...hope I can buy it again someday and give it the Texas tail dragger treatment !

my biz partner and I bought another Cherokee to replace this Cessna for the rental fleet....its nice but starting down refurbishment road again stings a little.

Attachments

• 82u.jpg
    82u.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
My seller contacts me from time to time to see how his Aztec is doing and follows my adventures on FlightWatch.

I look for my old airplanes at OSH each year.

Never seen one yet. :-(

I thought I was weird, I know all my old airplanes serial numbers and N numbers so I look them up once in a while on Flightaware or check the FAA data base to see where they are now. ;)
I sold Charlene to a local guy and since I haven't gotten the N number changed, I still get Flightaware alerts when they fly, they seem to LOVE bad weather. :yikes:

About 10 years after selling my 210-D, I pulled into the only available tie-down on a crowded ramp in Lumberton, NC in the dark. As I turned the taxi light illuminated the plane on the right like a "Twilight Zone" episode and when I looked inside after parking it was like a time capsule. No regrets, just unexpected.

I ran into a guy at an airport who owned by bird previously. I learned that although there were 2 "owners" before me, 4 people actually owned it and before it was sold to the FBO we bought it from (they flew it personally at the FBO) it was only getting about 10hrs a year. That explains the 1200hrs TT when I bought it. The guy I was talking to said he really regretted selling it, but his wife couldn't handle it yet (she was a new PP) and wanted a 172. Now he wants a 210 and she wants to keep the 172 so he said they're going to settle on another 182RG.

I couldn't imagine making the decision to sell mine and then seeing it in someone else's care.

Just happened to be doing a Google search on my tail number last night and I found a post in backcountrypilot.org of a previous owner of my Mooney. He was just telling the folks in the forum that he had very fond memories of that aircraft and he was glad to see it had been taken care of since he sold it (new engine and upgraded avionics). Said it felt kind of weird to see it in Barnstormer (that's when I purchased her) and felt like "walking into a strip bar and finding one of your old girl friends dancing". Not sure I can relate to the reference but I tried to contact him just so I can learn more of the history of my plane. Looks like he owned it for quite some time.

we bought our 1st C172 from an aircraft broker.

About a week after buying it, the guy who owned the local hardware store came running up to me as I was standing by the airplane and told me that it was his airplane that he had wrecked the year before.

The paint colors were different, but he recognized the tail number.

The insurance company sold it to a salvage yard out of state who sold it to someone who rebuilt it who sold it to the aircraft broker…

I became “friends” with a guy who bought my old Bonanza from the guy I traded it to for my 340 over on the red forum.

He sent me photos every time he did an upgrade on her…

It was kind of fun to see that my old girl was being taken care of by a guy who loved her as much as I did

He eventually sold it and I have lost touch

I note, today, that Daniel E. Alfonsetti(North Carolina) still owns N66148 which I owned and then traded for N7872G back in 2005 or so. N66148 went to NC some time in '05 or '06. If anyone sees it, tell it I said "Hello." It taught me that a C-150 isn't nearly as resistant to insipient spins as a C-172. :eek:)

HR

Attachments

• N66148#1May31.jpg
    N66148#1May31.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 47
  • N66148#5May1505.jpg
    N66148#5May1505.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 39
  • N66148#12May1505.jpg
    N66148#12May1505.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 40
At OSH this year while walking the ramp I saw my old beech Travelair parked in the classic area with a new paint job.brought a tear to my eye.

he was glad to see it had been taken care of since he sold it (new engine and upgraded avionics). Said it felt kind of weird to see it in Barnstormer (that's when I purchased her) and felt like "walking into a strip bar and finding one of your old girl friends dancing". Not sure I can relate to the reference

I wonder how he would have felt if he saw Baron Thomas selling it? The old girlfriend as the co-star of a Tijuana Donkey show?

Last edited:
My family bought a C172 when my older brother started flying. A few years later, we sold it and upgraded to an Arrow. About 4 years later, the buyer had leased it to a flight school 90 miles from us and that flight school decided to start doing lessons down in Snyder. I ended up doing my PPL in the plane we had owned years before. That was about 10 years ago. I saw it sitting on the local ramp here about 2 months ago. Couldn't find the new owner though.

I've seen pics of my old Pitts at its new home in England a few times. One of my old Lances is a heap of charred aluminum. I would like to run across my old Mooney someday. In fact, I'd like to OWN my old Mooney again someday.

I've seen pics of my old Pitts at its new home in England a few times. One of my old Lances is a heap of charred aluminum. I would like to run across my old Mooney someday. In fact, I'd like to OWN my old Mooney again someday.
One down, 2 to go, Ken, you'll get there......

I know exactly how you feel. I was at KPDK last year and my old C150 was parked on the ramp. I was a little sad about selling it because of getting a divorce, but I upgraded to a Debonair and a new wife :lol:

we bought our 1st C172 from an aircraft broker.

About a week after buying it, the guy who owned the local hardware store came running up to me as I was standing by the airplane and told me that it was his airplane that he had wrecked the year before.

The paint colors were different, but he recognized the tail number.

The insurance company sold it to a salvage yard out of state who sold it to someone who rebuilt it who sold it to the aircraft broker…

I became “friends” with a guy who bought my old Bonanza from the guy I traded it to for my 340 over on the red forum.

He sent me photos every time he did an upgrade on her…

It was kind of fun to see that my old girl was being taken care of by a guy who loved her as much as I did

He eventually sold it and I have lost touch

Hopefully you knew it was a salvage rebuild when you bought it?

Hopefully you knew it was a salvage rebuild when you bought it?

Nope

I had just turned 21, and my father helped me with the purchase.

You would have to have known him to know how that could happen.

It was a choice between a 1959, and this 1966 model.

The 1959 was $2000 more, because it was a beloved member of the guys family and a cherry of an airplane.

But to my dad… he looked at it with the thought that it was going to get bent up, so why pay a bunch of money for it?

Never mind that the salvage yard put a cruise prop on it that need to be replaced before someone got killed, and the 1st annual inspection cost $5000, because the airplane was in poor mechanical condition.

Penny wise and pound foolish as they say…

I got a good education out of it

Back