Seller backed out on a boat deal!!! just a little off topic!

N747JB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John
I made a deal to buy our old boat back from the guy we sold it to, he's a little flaky, but he paid for it when he bought it. I called him a month or so ago when he was trying to trade it to a friend of mine, then backed out. He wasn't real interested in selling, wanted $XXX more than he paid for it etc. Well, last week he calls and is much more interested in selling it, we discuss price, I make an offer and the next day he says, "how soon can you close?" So, I fly to New Orleans after stopping to pick up my captain/ boat expert and we drive 2 hours to Venice to look at it. The port engine won't crank, would have been nice to have that information a few hours earlier. :mad: We look the boat over, everything is as it should be with the exception of the engine. We drive to New Orleans and fly back to Destin and I fly back to Atlanta. The guy assures me he will have it repaired and Monday they find a bad breaker on a fuel controller, no big deal. Tuesday the engine mechanic calls and give them both a clean bill of health and I think we are good to go. Tuesday night when I tell him I am sending the money to the escrow company, he freaks out on the phone and says he wants the money wired directly to him. No beuno, I need the paperwork done properly and he says he'll let me know. No response to call or text yesterday. This morning, I get a text that says, I can't do it, I am losing too much on the deal. :mad::mad:
It's the exact same deal we talked about last week!!!! Anyway, I am back looking for a boat!!
rant over. :D

I made a deal to buy our old boat back from the guy we sold it to, he's a little flaky, but he paid for it when he bought it. I called him a month or so ago when he was trying to trade it to a friend of mine, then backed out. He wasn't real interested in selling, wanted $XXX more than he paid for it etc. Well, last week he calls and is much more interested in selling it, we discuss price, I make an offer and the next day he says, "how soon can you close?" So, I fly to New Orleans after stopping to pick up my captain/ boat expert and we drive 2 hours to Venice to look at it. The port engine won't crank, would have been nice to have that information a few hours earlier. :mad: We look the boat over, everything is as it should be with the exception of the engine. We drive to New Orleans and fly back to Destin and I fly back to Atlanta. The guy assures me he will have it repaired and Monday they find a bad breaker on a fuel controller, no big deal. Tuesday the engine mechanic calls and give them both a clean bill of health and I think we are good to go. Tuesday night when I tell him I am sending the money to the escrow company, he freaks out on the phone and says he wants the money wired directly to him. No beuno, I need the paperwork done properly and he says he'll let me know. No response to call or text yesterday. This morning, I get a text that says, I can't do it, I am losing too much on the deal. :mad::mad:
It's the exact same deal we talked about last week!!!! Anyway, I am back looking for a boat!!
rant over. :D
A guy this flaky, I would expect to be calling you any minute saying, "Ok, its a deal." And if it was me, I would reply, "Too late. But, I will now offer you $XXX" and it would be of course less than before.

Dang, that sucks John.

Maybe he figured it was worth more now that he fixed the port engine. :rolleyes:

buy a Widgeon or Mallard instead?

Worst...I mean best of both worlds....

What a pain. What kind of boat was it?

miller_boatownership.jpg

...again...like planes are any better!

What a pain. What kind of boat was it?
60 Hatteras, I wanted to downsize, but everything I looked at needed work, or was more money than we sold this one for! :rolleyes: I've been on line way too much this afternoon, we are going to St Thomas next week, I'll have something bought by the end of March!!:D

A guy this flaky, I would expect to be calling you any minute saying, "Ok, its a deal." And if it was me, I would reply, "Too late. But, I will now offer you $XXX" and it would be of course less than before.
That's the same conversation I had with my wife tonight, I expect to get a call or text next week from him!

I was raised in a boating family since I was 3 years old. Flying bug hit in the teen years. Still love being on the water, but I told my wife when we bought our share of the 182: "If I ever get the idea that I should own a boat and a plane at the same time, please, please shoot me."

I know, but they are both fun!! I had a high school classmate die of an apparent heart attack last night, we aren't here forever, let's have fun while we can!!

Agree 100%. Any of us might be gone tomorrow. Use what time we have to the fullest!

Condolences on your friend. :(

I know, but they are both fun!! I had a high school classmate die of an apparent heart attack last night, we aren't here forever, let's have fun while we can!!
I swear I've read about a dozen of these "reminders" in the last couple of weeks..someone trying to tell me something.

I was raised in a boating family since I was 3 years old. Flying bug hit in the teen years. Still love being on the water, but I told my wife when we bought our share of the 182: "If I ever get the idea that I should own a boat and a plane at the same time, please, please shoot me."
Jeff, I have 2 airplanes, one boat and trying to buy another boat, don't let your wife shoot me!! :eek:

Since you own a successful Ford dealership, count your blessings car and truck deals that happen like this are few and very far between.

So, if you buy a previously owned boat back, does that still count as one of the two happiest days of your life? o_O

We bought a boat last year. It was one of the most stressful days I've had in a while. Not that the dealer experience was bad, it's just the idea of spending that much money on something discretionary was difficult to do, and we were only buying a 21' bowrider.

One year later, the only regret I have is not having bought it a few years ago.

A little update, he sent me a text this morning saying, "I'll let you know tomorrow, one way or the other." WTF?????????????????

was he a used car salesman or worse used car sales manager in another life. or maybe this one????

No kidding... just found out a childhood friend has pancreatic cancer, went home from the hospital with a prescription for pain to wait to die...

Tell him you are looking at another boat this weekend that looks like a real possibility. He will get hot to sell real fast. Then let him sweat.

Tell him you are looking at another boat this weekend that looks like a real possibility. He will get hot to sell real fast. Then let him sweat.

THIS! Watch him offer quick, and then low ball his ass.

Yeah, and he told me not to tell his wife... ???

I could see that depending on how he thinks his wife will react. He may want to enjoy his last days with her and worry that she'll be miserable for the rest of it if she finds out.

It's not the path I would take, but I can see why some might. I'd tell my wife and we'd be enjoying every day I had left. Tell the boss "I'm gone."

A little update, he sent me a text this morning saying, "I'll let you know tomorrow, one way or the other." WTF?????????????????

Sounds like he will let you know tomorrow. WTF---- wheres the food..?? Will there be pie..??? :)

Think of it as a sign from Neptune, he wants you to get a real boat. 70' viking here we come. What was the boats name while it was in Destin? Just curious if Ive seen it over the years.

Ive always thought the Miss B Haven was the best looking sport fisher in Destin.

Think of it as a sign from Neptune, he wants you to get a real boat. 70' viking here we come. What was the boats name while it was in Destin? Just curious if Ive seen it over the years.

Ive always thought the Miss B Haven was the best looking sport fisher in Destin.
It was "The Bounty Hunter" not the charter boat Bounty Hunter, its easy to confuse them. We kept it on Holiday Isle at Waterview Towers, did quite a few tournaments up until 2008!

It was "The Bounty Hunter" not the charter boat Bounty Hunter, its easy to confuse them. We kept it on Holiday Isle at Waterview Towers, did quite a few tournaments up until 2008!

Thats a pretty prime spot in the harbor. I used to work much farther back at Just Chute Me, driving back that far into the harbor at 4 knots got real hot real quick in the middle of July. I've never been involved in a tournament but always enjoyed going to the weigh ins.

Enjoy those turbine speed boats that cruise thru the harbor, shooting out those big flames w/ scantly clad babes showing off their hot bodies, and yeah, boobies.

Thats a pretty prime spot in the harbor. I used to work much farther back at Just Chute Me, driving back that far into the harbor at 4 knots got real hot real quick in the middle of July. I've never been involved in a tournament but always enjoyed going to the weigh ins.
I didn't think the no wake zone applied to parasail boats! :rolleyes::D:D It does get hot, especially when the wind us calm!!

A little humorous update, the seller calls Tuesday morning and says, he's just losing too much money, I tell it's no problem. Fast forward 36 hours and he calls me Wednesday night at 5:00 wanting to know if I'm still interested. I tell him I'm leaving for St Thomas in the morning, but I can get my dad to sign the docs and I'll wire the money to the escrow company before we leave. 2 calls and a few text messages later, the deal is off again!! He needs to close it by Friday to buy his new boat, if he he'd followed through 2 weeks ago, he'd have been fine!! The boat he's allegedly buying has to be closed and paid in full in 3 days?? I thought he was flaky, I now think he's bipolar!!:eek: Anyway, I'm enjoying St Thomas with my wife and planning on looking at on a boat next week after we get home!! :D

A little humorous update, the seller calls Tuesday morning and says, he's just losing too much money, I tell it's no problem. Fast forward 36 hours and he calls me Wednesday night at 5:00 wanting to know if I'm still interested. I tell him I'm leaving for St Thomas in the morning, but I can get my dad to sign the docs and I'll wire the money to the escrow company before we leave. 2 calls and a few text messages later, the deal is off again!! He needs to close it by Friday to buy his new boat, if he he'd followed through 2 weeks ago, he'd have been fine!! The boat he's allegedly buying has to be closed and paid in full in 3 days?? I thought he was flaky, I now think he's bipolar!!:eek: Anyway, I'm enjoying St Thomas with my wife and planning on looking at on a boat next week after we get home!! :D
Message #4 above...CALLED IT!

Back