Sell me an engine monitor

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
I've an engine that's running great, not burning oil, good oil pressure, good compression, no metal in oil analysis, but way over TBO. I'm not inclined to break open an engine that's running well.

What can an engine monitor do to help determine when it's time for an overhaul? I'm thinking of a relatively simple one like an insight G2.

I am the same; on the alert for any change.
Monitoring
compressions and exhaust leaks 2x/yr (yes that's top end)
watching oil p & t
watching oil consumption
looking for cracks, leaks
looking at that filter like a hawk, have gone to every 30hrs oil and filter
oil analysis
just eyeballed a part of the cam with my scope, hoping to do more at the next oil change through the oil drain
watching performance
I guess I like to protect my insurance company.
What else?
(I do not plan to overhaul this engine for various reasons. Once done, its done.)
The monitor question; top end monitoring only, right?

I installed an engine monitor when I bought my plane and I didn't really know what I was missing. Here's some features I like:
  • Alerting for parameters that are out of the norm.
  • Automatically calculates percent horsepower.
  • Fuel flow is super accurate (tied to GPS, gives me the amount of fuel remaining at destination)
  • Lean of peak operations
  • Reminded me just how poor my analog gauges were at giving me precise measurements.
  • Backup measurements. My mechanical tach has failed twice on me for instance.
More specifically to answer your direct question, you should be able to download your engine data after each flight in order to better analyze any changes that might be going on in regards to temperature changes, etc...

Some information that can be gleaned from the engine data (I don't use Savvy, but thought it might be a good example of some items you might be interested in from the raw data): http://content.savvyanalysis.com/static/pdf/SavvyAnalysisSampleReportForm.pdf

Last edited:
I am the same; on the alert for any change.
Monitoring
compressions and exhaust leaks 2x/yr (yes that's top end)
watching oil p & t
watching oil consumption
looking for cracks, leaks
looking at that filter like a hawk, have gone to every 30hrs oil and filter
oil analysis
just eyeballed a part of the cam with my scope, hoping to do more at the next oil change through the oil drain
watching performance
I guess I like to protect my insurance company.
What else?
(I do not plan to overhaul this engine for various reasons. Once done, its done.)
The monitor question; top end monitoring only, right?
Your question at the end gets to my question. It seems monitors mostly look at top end issues, but my concerns are over the bottom end. So, is there much value in the monitor, when that's my concern?

I doubt it.
I guess right before it seizes, the monitor will record very high oil temps
or very high rpm as metal clogs the prop governor!

Bottom ends aren’t prone to catastrophic failures. Top ends are more likely to fail. That’s true at any engine age.

My monitor helped me get my CHTs consistent, so no unusually hot cylinders. That’ll help engine longevity. My best use is glancing at it occasionally to confirm that all 6 are playing happily. Especially when I’m in over unforgiving terrain or feel an unusual vibration.

I'm currently getting a JPI830 installed on my Glasair. Not just for the engine monitoring capability but tach, ammeter, fuel flow, and OAT as well. Shop rates are gonna kill me on this one. :(

After a two hour conversation with my mechanic this afternoon, I think we're going to do the overhaul as soon as it goes out of annual. Will probably put a monitor on it while I'm at it.

I'm currently getting a JPI830 installed on my Glasair. Not just for the engine monitoring capability but tach, ammeter, fuel flow, and OAT as well. Shop rates are gonna kill me on this one. :(
Mine was 23 shop hrs including everything u said and MP

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mine was 23 shop hrs including everything u said and MP

Yeah I believe oil temp and press will be on it well. Also getting the exp G5 installed to replace my crappy Blue Mountain EFIS. Early Xmas present for me this year!

After a two hour conversation with my mechanic this afternoon, I think we're going to do the overhaul as soon as it goes out of annual. Will probably put a monitor on it while I'm at it.

I'm curious what he said convinced to do the overhaul? I notice once a mechanic finds out you are over TBO, they really want to pull it.

Your question at the end gets to my question. It seems monitors mostly look at top end issues, but my concerns are over the bottom end. So, is there much value in the monitor, when that's my concern?

No, checking oil for metal and checking valve opening is what you need to do.

An engine monitor can narrow down an engine problem down to a cylinder, whether is a ignition or fuel problem. So given two scenarios:
You walk into a shop:
I have a clogged injector on #3, please pull it, clean it, and check the flow.
Or
My engine is running rough.

Which scenario will get cost you more? That's where a EM will pay for itself.

No, checking oil for metal and checking valve opening is what you need to do.

An engine monitor can narrow down an engine problem down to a cylinder, whether is a ignition or fuel problem. So given two scenarios:
You walk into a shop:
I have a clogged injector on #3, please pull it, clean it, and check the flow.
Or
My engine is running rough.

Which scenario will get cost you more? That's where a EM will pay for itself.
I have first hand experience with this. After installing JPI 830, one day during run up I was having a lot of shudder, tried cleaning any lead deposits, didn't work. Brought it back to my AP on the same field. He did a run up and immideitly said looking at the EM that it's the plug in the number 2 cyl that's he had to then take out and clean out. Without the EM, he would have to physically check all of them

I have first hand experience with this. After installing JPI 830, one day during run up I was having a lot of shudder, tried cleaning any lead deposits, didn't work. Brought it back to my AP on the same field. He did a run up and immideitly said looking at the EM that it's the plug in the number 2 cyl that's he had to then take out and clean out. Without the EM, he would have to physically check all of them

Not really. You could test R/L mag to figure out which one has the problem, then leave it on the bad one a bit and then the exhaust pipe that's noticeably cooler than the rest is the one with the issue.

Not really. You could test R/L mag to figure out which one has the problem, then leave it on the bad one a bit and then the exhaust pipe that's noticeably cooler than the rest is the one with the issue.
Still takes more time than looking at the EM

Without the 830 he would not even know it's a spark plug, magneto, fuel injectors...

Your flying along and enjoying the flight without a monitor and suddenly the engine starts shaking, smoking and your pooping...and your over water. You make it to an airport thankfully and the engine is checked and they find one cylinder has a melted piston and parts in the oil pan...new engine but you and yours are alive.
Same flight, same conditions and you notice on your monitor that one cylinder suddenly shows a very high CHT and climbing. You go full rich and head to the closest airport and find a trashed cylinder, but not melted and have it changed.
This is the exact scenario of a pre-ignition and the pilot stopped it by going full rich. Most likely a cracked ceramic in a plug that started glowing.

In this case the monitor saved the lives of those on board and the engine and plane. You decide! Was the monitor worth it?

PS. This just happened for real

Get a monitor and attend the APS seminar. Disclaimer, I just got home from attending and I am in the evangelist mode. Remember you have four to six engines in front of you connected to one crankshaft

If you don’t have a monitor how are you guys balancing your FI systems?

And that’s an even better reason to install a monitor! My 0-520 is a perfect example.

Back