Self serve fill-ups

mchesney

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
This might be a dumb question but all of the airport self serve pumps I've used require you to put in the number of gallons you want. What if you want to top it off and aren't sure exactly how much you'll need? Will the pump credit you back if you don't use all the gallons you selected?

The fuel master just uses the GALLONS/DOLLARS you request to put through an authorization. It bills you for what you actually pump. This is distinct from the normal gas station pumps that puts through a nominal authorization (typically a buck) just to make sure the card is valid.

Putting in gallons (or some pumps dollars) is where the pump will cut off. I always fudge high.
It only charges you for what you actually dispense.

Some pumps offer a "Fill Up" option. It will then state that it will hit yor card for xxx gallons or $zzz dollars, normally around 100 gallons and $600. That will hit as a "pending" charge until the actual amount of the sale is posted and verified. Sometimes that can take a day to clear.

If the pending charge will exceed any limits on your card the card will be rejected and the system will not turn on the pump.

It is recommended to select gallons and a quantity, the pending charge will be for that $ amount. If you pump less, the final sale will reflect what was actually pumped and the pending charge will clear and go away.

Just a side comment...

We track our fuel useage and know our airplane's consumption for four years and the average consumption has stayed within .2/gal per hour throughout that timeframe.

I know it's not typical on rentals, but why not track fuel use in "the book" with all the other crap they make renters write down?

It's nice to know within a maximum fudge factor of a few gallons exactly what you are going to need for a fill up.

Not knowing, is kinda dumb. The data is all there if it's written down.

Back