Self Flying Safaris, Southern Africa, any advice?

Colanyc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Colanyc
Hi All,

Good afternoon! I'm planning a Self Flying Safari in Africa with experienced guides, essentially renting a C206 with a pilot (I currently fly a C207 in the Northeast) and touring Zambia, Victoria falls, Namibia, etc. There are a bunch of sites that advertise this (example http://www.aerosafari.com/) but no reviews and I have no connections there. Any recommendations or advice?

Thank you all!

Don't run out of fuel, don't get shot at, don't touch the wildlife, the Big Five are considered dangerous game for a reason, don't crash, don't get sick, and don't forget to have an adventure. Can I come?? I've been to Zim several times. I'll hold your wallet while you bungee jump Vic Falls. I know a few good bore holes as well.

When do you plan on going? I'm flying with Johannesburg flying school next month. I can get more information from them on leaving the country if you like.

You are renting the plane _with_ a pilot? I thought it was _self_ fly?

I was doing research on it and in South Africa there are quite a few owners that are just like yep go ahead take my plane as a rental once you do the conversion to a South African license. they do full Charter they do hire and fly they do fly it yourself or take along a cfi

Sounds like a blast.... pricey I bet though.

When do you plan on going? I'm flying with Johannesburg flying school next month. I can get more information from them on leaving the country if you like.
Still researching the times given winter vs summer and locations. Have a good SA friend who is partial to Capetown as initial departure point, but still determining what we will do. Like the ida of a C206 although I understand those are always very busy to rent.

Self fly, but bringing a local along helps a lot I understand, particularly spotting the landing strips initially as you get used to it.

On par with or cheaper than hourly rental here. I'll be flying a PA30 when I'm over there.
When are you going and did you winter/summer/spring (their seasons) for particular reasons?

Back