SEL Night Flight

How often do you fly SEL at night?

• Never!

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Occasionally, but I prefer not to...

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • Every so often -- it doesn't bother me.

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Night? Day? It's all the same!!!

Votes: 27 25.5%

• Total voters
Seriously Ed, that's too far. Argue with him all you want about his silly night opinions -- but don't call him dumb for serving.

It's not about the serving. It's about trotting in out in a debate as a total non-sequitor/strawman.

It's not about the serving. It's about trotting in out in a debate as a total non-sequitor/strawman.

Yeah...though your claim that you didnt die yet is proof that anyone who would take any precuations prior to night flight in SEL is a "weenie."

yeah, that's a real argument, right there....

Where did I say people should take NO precautions?

So, flying at night is dumber than enlisting to get shot at? Wow.

I don't fly at night to prove anything. I fly at night because it happens to be the time when I am going somewhere.

I was enlisted, and NCO, and an Officer -- for twenty one years. Officers aren't "enlisted" -- we officers are "commissioned."

enlisted/commissioned/joined...whatever. Semantics.

I've probably been as close to or closer to death (literally 1mm) as/than anyone on this board. I am already living on time that I probably shoudn't have. I am not going to worry about flying at night vs flying during the day. The only difference between flying at night and flying during the day over inhospitable terrain, or open water, is that you get to see where you are going to crash during the day.

If you want to cheat yourself out of experiences, go ahead, but don't equate me to a drunk driver for flying at night.

Now now boys. The infantry guys are neither dumb nor manly, and everyone is entitled to fly when and where they want so long as they don't break the FARs. Since none of you took a motorcycle solo into Latin America you're all weenies in the book of Steingar.

From the perspective of someone who has had a CFI on any night flights (and I've actually had a lot of hours, my CFI believed in many night hours) I LOVED them. Peaceful and easy to see things.

And all those scary obstacles below are dark so you cannot see them!! :D

Now now boys. The infantry guys are neither dumb nor manly, and everyone is entitled to fly when and where they want so long as they don't break the FARs. Since none of you took a motorcycle solo into Latin America you're all weenies in the book of Steingar.

Yeah, well. I've driven downtown Detroit in a foreign car. Top that! :rofl:

And I was playing........country music!!!

I think I threw up in my mouth a little

:rofl::rofl:

orly.gif

That's what you said when I stopped by last year.

:rofl:

Won't matter, I trained Jack Bauer and fought with Chuck Norris as part of proving my manhood. Locks can't stop me.

Forgive me if I take offense to the idea that "Flying at night is not safe for anyone."

If its not safe for you, fine, stick to flying in CAVU, with a CFI for every other flight.

Its not that you're being a sissy, its that you're pushing your sissiness on other pilots that actually have a desire to become safer by filling their experience bucket.

Hell, just taking off contains risks. Maybe y'all shouldn't fly at all.

I don't know where I fall on this. I don't do much night flight, yet ride a motorcycle to work nearly every day. Seriously, I have a MUCH better chance of becoming road pizza than I do biting a hillside at night in an engine out.

But yet that is where I am. :confused::confused::confused:

Maybe I need to do more night flight.

I don't know where I fall on this. I don't do much night flight, yet ride a motorcycle to work nearly every day. Seriously, I have a MUCH better chance of becoming road pizza than I do biting a hillside at night in an engine out.

Maybe I'm OK with the motorcycle thing because it is just me that would go. I'm well insured, and we're in a good position.

But, putting the family in the plane at night or day over broad areas of LIFR? Dunno. My 6yr old is to young to determine and accept risk, and it is my job as a parent to prepare her for adulthood, where SHE CAN then determine her risk level.

I ride 47 miles each way to work (though I drive when in heavy rain or thunderstorms).

I agree the bike places me at far more risk than any of my flying activities (even instructing!), but I'm only placing myself at risk.

East LA, pish posh, Compton, at night, in an Avis Rental car! HAH! :rofl:
If true, I seriously must reconsider any claim you may have to intelligence. Egads, even the police avoid those areas.

The only reason I know that is because one time I was hitchhiking and got dropped off in Comptom at night. Without a clue of how to get away fast enough. The police saw me walking with a day pack. They stopped about 20 feet away and used their PA to advise I should vacate the area immediately and then sped off. Thanks for advising the hood of my presence, I was thinkng. I ran for blocks after taking a bearing on the north star.:eek:

Last edited:
I had about 1000 hrs in a Skylane and flew lots of night and night IMC. I liked flying at night for all of the reasons listed. I even like the night IMC especially when smooth. There is nothing like a night approach and seeing the runway lights after popping out of the clouds. I live in the southern edge of the Ozarks and lots forrested hills & mountains and got to thinking if the engine quits I'm pretty much out of luck. And I really never cared for taking the whole family at night/night IMC. That's what made me go to the Turbo 310 (plus the speed)! Yeah the statistics say you're not much safer in a twin (if at all) but if a guy in a twin shuts down an engine and lands safely there is nothing to report (He's not a statistic). I have a friend that has a 210 and an Aerostar and has no engine out landings in the 210 but 4 single engine landings in the Aerostar (doesnt say much for the Aerostar, I guess). So until we can compare the safe landings in a single engine out to the safe single engine landing in a twin the statistics may be a little skewed. I still like my odds in the twin even tho there are a lot more things that can go wrong in the 310 than there were in the 182. But when I get rid of the 310 I'll probably being flying SE Night/IMC again in a Skylane and not worrying too much about it. Just my thoughts...

Back