Segmenting a ~500nm XC

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
My wife groans at a ~5hr flight to Atlanta area with typical north-easternly headwinds. I understand, I don't want to fly 5hrs either, even if I have the range (book says so, but beyond my comfort zone).

I flight plan for a fuel/ comfort break at KMTV, which breaks the trip up roughly 1/2 way, with just 50nm on leg 2 than leg 1. It also doesn't hurt that fuel prices are decent there also (according to my sources).

I thought about instead of making the stop just a fuel/ comfort stop, make it also a destination enroute to the final destination that it may be more fun and win more support.

Thinking that I'm only limited by imagination, what other locations should I consider enroute to make the trip a destination-destination type of hop? All options on the table, short of doubling the trip distance.

Also traveling with a toddler.

Find a good lunch/fuel stop more than 1/2 way to your destination. I always prefer the second leg to be shorter than the first leg. It's just a psychology thing. But a lunch break would be good relaxing respite for the wife and the kid.

The better advice: Get a faster plane. DCA --> ATL in the Comanche is 3:10 :D

I second the get a new plane suggestion. Use this as a excuse to get checked out in something faster then a 172.

What about heading due south and stopping off at the beach (Wilmington/Cape Fear or Myrtle) on the way there (add an extra hour) and then Asheville, NC for a night or day trip at the Biltmore on the way back (on your route of flight).

Unfortunately South of the Border doesn't have an airport (this will be meaningless unless you've done I-95 (or as Tracey would say, The I95)).

But it's a good idea if you can find an airport with something fun.

Some suggestions from my travels

KBKL (Burke Lakefront, Cleveland) - right on the lake, rock and roll hall of fame and WWII submarine close by

KTSO (Carrolton, OH) - walk off the airport and follow the signs through the woods to a nice antiques store and restaurant.

KCGX (Chicago, IL) - Never mind.

3W2, Put-In-Bay, OH Nice place on island.

KJGG - Williamsport, VA - great restaurant on field, cab to Colonial Williamsburg

Still in diapers/pull-ups?

That makes a huge difference I have found. While still in diapers or pull-ups, you can do 3hr or more legs with a toddler no prob. Give 'em a sippy cup, snacks and a portable DVD and you are good to go.

Once they start wearing big-kid underwear, it gets to be much more problematic. You need to be prepared to make unplanned stops and even pushing 2 hrs between stops can be a problem.

I flight plan for a fuel/ comfort break at KMTV, which breaks the trip up roughly 1/2 way, with just 50nm on leg 2 than leg 1. It also doesn't hurt that fuel prices are decent there also (according to my sources).

MTV is a nice place to stop. They have a small restaurant, the airport is in the foothills with mountains nearby, nice view coming in/out of there.

KGEV is also a good stop, big runway (it slopes just a bit, unless you have more than 8-10kt tailwind, might want to take off downhill, land uphill). I don't remember the fuel prices but GEV has great scenery and the FBO guys were real nice. I wound up kickin it there for 2-3 hrs in my VFR days waiting for a broken ceiling to lift at elizabethton airport.

Just after departing KGEV
attachment.php

Last edited:
Find a good lunch/fuel stop more than 1/2 way to your destination. I always prefer the second leg to be shorter than the first leg. It's just a psychology thing. But a lunch break would be good relaxing respite for the wife and the kid.

The better advice: Get a faster plane. DCA --> ATL in the Comanche is 3:10 :D

I agree on the 1/2 way plus a little for the first stop if it works out. My family is usually a little more patient on the first leg of the trip than the second. I would try to break it up 3 hours and 2 hours if you can with a 30 minute stop, stretch and potty break. :D

Are you interested in spending the night at your midway destination?

Wilmington is a great town with some awesome restaurants on the downtown waterfront minutes from the airport. Unfortunately it adds so much time to your trip, I wouldn't consider it a day stop.

Another suggestion is Lexington, KEXX. Ask to borrow the crew car and head to Lexington Barbecue. Its under a 10 minute drive, and the cue is delicious. Its also on the way for you.

Last edited:
I made 2 stops both ways between KRAS and KABQ. I get bored just flying, also I am a wet renter running ROP. I think toddler is a great excuse to practice landings. Running 2 stops gives a lot of flexibility at the expense of the time en route. Not sure Mary would like it, so consult carefuly, etc.

KBKL (Burke Lakefront, Cleveland) - right on the lake, rock and roll hall of fame and WWII submarine close by

KTSO (Carrolton, OH) - walk off the airport and follow the signs through the woods to a nice antiques store and restaurant.

3W2, Put-In-Bay, OH Nice place on island.
All three of those are good ideas Tim...KBKL is off course near Class B so don't be scared of that *sometimes they're friendly*

Going to look up the KTSO one and see how far that is for me to do for myself.

3W2 is a little tricky. My friend say it's tough because there is a monument (Perry monument at one end) and so you have to get the plane stopped 1000 ft before or you get a ticket - so I hear. PIB is a good place to get ramp checked as they don't have much going on. Whatever you do follow the rules of departure times!

FWIW, I've loitered on the board the last couple days and decided this was worthy of a reply.

Faster plane is not an option at the moment, just 4 mos into the deal. It IS however a sales tactic for an upgrade (he he he he).

I didn't think about the stop 1/2+ for the 1st leg. I like that idea.

The toddler is on the border for being done with pull-ups. We'd better get this trip in soon!

I'll have to spend some time evaluating the other airport options listed.

Tim- not sure what adventures you have in mind, is that a route to divorce court (LOL)

Much more than 5 hours and I'd be needing the pull-ups.

One thing to think about: When I was planning my XC to pick up the Cardinal (SVH-ASH) I had to plan around the DC FRZ. This gives two options, and I deliberately planned out a stop on both sides of the DC FRZ (HGR or ESN, IIRC). Weather ended up being no concern for that trip but if it was having two routes separated in the middle by some distance would have made it easy to choose the best alternative. The total trip time was impacted more by the stop itself than the penalty of going around the DC FRZ, for all that the FRZ is a pain.

You split the FRZ almost into 2 perfect semi-circles. I feel your pain.

The distance to go in one leg via the Hagerstown VOR only adds around 5 minutes to the block time. Of course it added a lot more for us because we actually landed.

It will be a lot more interesting for your wife if your wife has a friend along the route who could meet you for lunch. -Skip

My wife groans at a ~5hr flight to Atlanta area with typical north-easternly headwinds.
I do, too. No way I go that far without one of these, and I guarantee my wife doesn't want to be there when I use it.

Nice little restaurant there, too, and very friendly folks. Just make sure it's not NASCAR weekend (spring race done, next race last weekend in Oct).

I thought about instead of making the stop just a fuel/ comfort stop, make it also a destination enroute to the final destination that it may be more fun and win more support.
Not sure what there is to do in Martinsville other than go to the race.

Even more reason not try a 5-hour hop.

After recalculating, I think this is a little over 4 hours. Mrs says 3hrs is her max (although we've done a 3:20 with a stop at the 3h mark and then a non-stop return -slight tailwind I'd have to check my logbook for the time).

Isn't there anything 2 hours away? 4 hours is a long time to just be sitting. Unless she can pick up knitting or something. Have you checked to see if she wants to do a "Pinch Hitter" before you guys leave so maybe she'd feel more comfortable and can "help" you fly and navigate?

I'm hoping to do a trip to Jacksonville in September with my husband and CFI/friend. Its 6 hours. Husband says he'll do half and I'll do half both ways. So ideally we'll both log 6 hrs PIC but what I'm doing when I'm not flying is either talk to the other 2, read a book (maybe I'll finally get through Gone with the Wind), sleep (love the sound of the spinning prop!) but after those are tapped I'll get *bored* but hopefully there will be nice photo opportunities and the conversation will be flowing and we'll be there in no time.

looking at Skyvector it would appear that someplace north or nw of Charlotte would work for you - and there are a ton of towered and non-towered airports out in that area - check on Airnav for restaurants - call the FBO's to see if they offer a crew car if its not listed.

Just remember that in summer there will be more clouds up against the Appalachians there - and in winter there will be lots of wind coming off those same mountains with mountain waves - I've encountered mountain waves at 8000 and 10000 near V1 over VA/NC and even SC.

And don't forget the black hole of Norfolk will slow you down 10 knots over flying the Piedmont area . . .

I traveled with a youngster who was 6-10 in a Cherokee for a while - and that age is fairly ez.

If you want to see some airplanes from the Wright Flyer to the SR-71, try I19 near Xenia OH and take a visit to The National Museum of the USAF at WPAFB, about 10 miles away.

Cheers

3 hours is about the longest we've gone without a stop. Not an issue for fuel, but you just have to get out and stretch your legs (and visit the facilities). With a todler I imagine you'd be flying shorter legs. It's been too long since ours were that age (they're in their 30s now) to remember, but I doubt we got 3 hours down the road without a stop.

Another aspect that is part of my fuel-stop consideration ... the availability of mx
on the field.

Back