SEG-BVI for a college visit

Arbiter419

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CAucker
[Also posted at the Purple board]

Hi everyone,

Just figured I'd share what I've been up to lately. Flying's been going pretty good, I have about 32 hours logged now. Took a dual cross country flight down to Lancaster (LNS) last week, solo next time. But today, my dad/instructor, mom and I set out for Beaver County for a college visit. It was 160 miles, and we navigated by VOR. Our course was Outbound on the SEG VOR, into the Phillipsburg VOR when we could pick it up, and then inbound on the Elwood City VOR, and then 10 miles further to BVI. Crusied at 3500. We had a flight following with Pittsburgh center the whole way there, and this was my first exposure to class B airspace. Approach vectored us around the Elwood city VOR for some reason, but gave us vectors to BVI. Once we had the runway in sight (easily 15 miles out, it was a beautiful day) center had us switch to Beaver County tower, and we made an uneventful landing there.

After we landed, we met up with the ATC coordinator at Beaver County Community College, Jim Scott, and had a nice talk about what all the ATC program entailed. We took a short tour of the facilities, and just got a feel for the place...he showed me the ATC simulations they use, and they are incredible. After that, I REALLY got excited when he showed me some of the flight simulators they have...full cockpits and projections! I NEED to get one of those for my room...

After that, we finished up with Mr. Scott, topped off the tanks, and headed home in reverse. We picked up about a 15 knot tailwind at 7500, so that was pretty nice. Landed at Selinsgrove, and that was that. All in all, a very good day. I'm really looking forward to enrolling/attending at CCBC.

Another cool thing is, by the time I enroll, I'll have my PPL finished up, so I don't even have to be there for the first semester, so I can stay at home and work!

Here are some pictures my mom took throughout the course of the day.

11tu7uw.jpg

2v33gv5.jpg

16gloq0.jpg

dcwizb.jpg

2m3h6oj.jpg

(can someone tell me what these white things are? They were everywhere for like 20 miles. I can provide a much higher res picture if needed.)
71mcmw.jpg

(Fuel pump at BVI, awesome little Ercoupe)
xvtph.jpg

(Beaver Stadium in State College)
bhdjx1.jpg

(Turning final back at Selinsgrove)
szx6xk.jpg

Great pics. I'll have to stop in at SEG next time I am flying out that way. Thanks for sharing.

Great pics. I'll have to stop in at SEG next time I am flying out that way. Thanks for sharing.

Definitely! We're having a fly in/drive in breakfast on the 29th, which I'm planning on attending.

Yea if he was north enough I was gonna say wells for gas from marcellus shale.

I'm almost certain it was Centre or Clearfield county, but I'm not familiar with either of them.

May 29th? For the flyin/drive in? Have a flyer or website announcement with details? That weekend is open for me so far.

May 29th? For the flyin/drive in? Have a flyer or website announcement with details? That weekend is open for me so far.

I can't seem to find one on the website, but PM me with your email address, and I'll forward you the monthly newsletter.

I might be canoeing down the river past Selinsgrove that weekend -- can we do a "float in"?

:D

If you want to drag the canoe across the highway to the airport, be my guest! Surely you can fit your Chief with you in the Canoe somewhere?

In all seriousness though, I'm sure they would be glad to have you. They might like you more if you had your Chief with you, but you can't win them all ;)

If you want to drag the canoe across the highway to the airport, be my guest! Surely you can fit your Chief with you in the Canoe somewhere?

In all seriousness though, I'm sure they would be glad to have you. They might like you more if you had your Chief with you, but you can't win them all ;)

The Chief's wingspan is 36 feet - as long as most GA airplanes, including Cessnas and Pipers!

We may do the West Branch mid-may. I'll keep this on on the calendar, though!

Last edited:
The Chief's wingspan is 36 feet - as long as most GA airplanes, including Cessnas and Pipers!

We may do the West Branch mid-may. I'll keep this on on the calendar, tough!

Heh, I know. Some guy had one up at Bloomsburg when I was doing some flying there...good looking planes.

Back