Seems like a good plan?

if you're plan is to go get some deep dish, then yeah, looks good to me!

I wouldn't do that. The salt air will corrode your control surfaces and you will wind up in the drink and get eaten by sharks.

Oh wait!

Is R-6903 ever active? I find it interesting that it's "R" to the ground, but does not exist on nautical charts.

As far as the route - personally, I wouldn't want to go in the water north of Milwaukee at this point in the year.

6Y3 is about four inches from the Arctic Circle on my globe. I wouldn’t fly there any month of the year.

Deep dish schmeep dish… Italian beef Sammy run. Yep. Looks good to me too!

sharks, cold water… meh. Water snakes are a nuther matter.

As long as you are willing to land at any point along the route, it looks fine.

Seriously, don’t do that.

Well, it looks like an escape attempt from Chicago, while being careful not to get closer to NY. I've seen worse plans...

Any plan might be a good plan if you are brave/stupid enough.

~30mi from shore at the widest according to measuring tool on FF.
This is SEL, correct? Looks like a Maule in your avatar?
Glide ratio and forecast winds?

I am reminded of an airport geezer who, back in the olden days, when I wasn't an airport geezer, told me about flying back from Oshkosh with the grand kids in his Stinson(?) -it was some kind of fabric taildragger. Things got hazy over Lake Michigan so he just went to instruments (as in needle, ball, and airspeed) to get to the other side. He said it seemed like he had been flying a long time without seeing land underneath - so he checked the magnetic compass and realized that he had turned south and was flying the length of the lake.

I've crossed Lake Michigan at its widest part this time of the year. Haven't gone lengthwise, but my trip to and from 6Y9 was more or less direct.

Mid to upper 60s probably… but I’m a wimp
I went back and looked. This is how I typically cross:

11.5 on the way there (the jog north over Door County was for the climb)
991F779D-C33F-44D1-897D-3E1373EBAC96.jpeg

12.5 on the way back
B5F1780A-01C9-45F0-8724-91E5B358C4BA.jpeg

‘Someone needs to’ write a tool where one can enter TAS, glide ratio, altitude, auto-fill the winds aloft, routing….to show your exposure time (how much of your flight time, in which a complete engine failure would result in a ditching).
Could put in age/weight/BMI/surface temps/winds to show your likely survival time, too.
Should be easy. (Not for me; I would find that impossible!)

This year I crossed at the narrow point just above the restricted airspace. At 11.5K feet I wasn't ever beyond gliding distance to shore.

Still cold enough to be considered a cold water rescue. Not to mention the Lake is big enough to make spotting a floating person a needle in a haystack.
Coast Guard helicopters for Lake Michigan are based out of Traverse City. Make sure that ELT is working!

On the other hand, https://flightaware.com/live/flight/C6014 is out flying over the lake quite a bit.

I picked him up on ADS-B and took me a while to figure out who it was.

Yep, any C#### with a 4 digit number is usually a Coastie of some type.

Coast Guard helicopters for Lake Michigan are based out of Traverse City. Make sure that ELT is working!

A PLB would probably be more use than an ELT. Once the plane submerges your ELT signal is gone. And depending on wave height, spotting a person is difficult to impossible. PLB, flares, water dye or smoke signal would be your best bet.

Once the plane submerges your ELT signal is gone
There's something I hadn't thought about before. As I understand it the 406 elt's broadcast got coordinates, right? So they'd at least have a starting point.

Back