Seems daunting...

D

dtr

I've always wanted to fly but wrote it off due to color vision issues. However, I've recently learned that there are multiple tests that can be used. That's good news to me since I've passed the FALANT test in the past. So I got to thinking about it again but then realized my medical history is VERY complicated and likely disqualifying.

For starters, I have a cyst in my left temporal lobe. It was monitored for several years and no change in the size or shape occurred. Hopefully, that's not an issue.

Mental health. Oh boy. This one will likely bite me. I have an official diagnosis for persistent depression disorder and a diagnosis of general anxiety disorder. I've been off meds for about 6 months and am doing fine with no relapses. I went through a pretty rough divorce and ended up in outpatient psychiatric treatment for a week. NOT inpatient. I was suicidal at one point throughout all of that. I am not at this time and generally in a much better place mentally. But the records exist and they cannot be denied. I've been on multiple SSRI's while my psychiatrist tried to find one that would work to include Zoloft and Lexapro. I've even been on Depakote at one point. I honestly can't remember everything I've been on as it's close to 10 different medications. I'm not even sure an SI would be worth pursuing.

My pilot aspirations would mostly be PPL, IR, and commercial with no intent of flying for profit. I'm just beginning to question whether or not this is worth pursuing. For what it's worth, I'm located near FDK so if anyone knows a good AME I can run all this by in the area, let me know.

Well, bless our souls, so he is!

@bbchien.... paging @bbchien .... The Gremlins of Calamitous Typos are causing havoc on your home page!

upload_2017-2-8_18-12-25.png

Last edited:
Try the good Doctor after 2/12/17. This here new Samsung tablet that I using Google has a ore aggressively wrong spell checker that you ipad. The sad thing is, the one on my Samsung phone exchange works pretty well.

************** Translation after laborious proofing (NOT "profiling"!) **************

This here new Samsung tablet that I'm using has a more aggressively wrong spell checker than my ipad. The sad thing is, the one on my Samsung phone works pretty well.

This is typical of my typing results now. Every word of every sentence must be checked, and the whole thing reread twice afterwards to catch 90% of the goofiness!

What everybody else says, talk to Dr. Bruce. If there is a pathway to certification, he will guide you through it. But it doesn't sound promising. Either way, Bruce will get you the answers.

I'm sure you're not getting ready to do this but I'll say it anyway, do not apply online or in any form, for a medical. Do not do so unless and until you've worked with the doc and you know for sure what the outcome will be. You don't want to apply and be denied. That way you may still be able to fly Sport Pilot.

The email link at the bottom of his signature is his own. Note, don't use the one listed with his profile "about me" info, as that's a dead box. The signature line one is the one you want to use.

The email link at the bottom of his signature is his own. Note, don't use the one listed with his profile "about me" info, as that's a dead box. The signature line one is the one you want to use.

Good to know. I hit up the contact form on his website. We'll see what he says. *fingers crossed*

Good to know. I hit up the contact form on his website. We'll see what he says. *fingers crossed*
Contact form isn't as reliable as the email link I mentioned. He gets more spam from that form than a bunch of singing Vikings at an English Breakfast counter.

So your legit request can easily get lost amongst that.

Contact form isn't as reliable as the email link I mentioned. He gets more spam from that form than a bunch of singing Vikings at an English Breakfast counter.

So your legit request can easily get lost amongst that.

Looked high and low, left and right, no sign of his email in his signature. Even logged in with my account and I can't see it.

If u can see the color blue...and identify a shape that resembles a donut, u are all set ....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Looked high and low, left and right, no sign of his email in his signature. Even logged in with my account and I can't see it.

I can't see it either, I never know what they're talking about when they say his email is there, it's not visible to me. There must be some setting on this website that isn't letting it through to some computers. All I see is a link to his website, aeromedicaldoc.com. No email link.

Thanks for the help all. I got a response from Dr. Chien and we're in touch via email.

dtr,

I am new here. Just was reading your thread since it was right under mine. I am in a similar boat. I have past alcohol instances to possibly contend with (in adolescence), but also a trip to my regular doctor due to situational depression due to a particularly nasty separation, ultimately leading to divorce. I too am starting to wonder if this is worth pursuing. Anyway, just wanted to chime in, say hello and good luck to you.

-Alan

dtr,

I am new here. Just was reading your thread since it was right under mine. I am in a similar boat. I have past alcohol instances to possibly contend with (in adolescence), but also a trip to my regular doctor due to situational depression due to a particularly nasty separation, ultimately leading to divorce. I too am starting to wonder if this is worth pursuing. Anyway, just wanted to chime in, say hello and good luck to you.

-Alan
See my reply in your thread.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back