Seem s like a REALLY BAD Idea to me...

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I went to the US Sport Aviation Expo. Among the exhibitors I wandered by the Merlin folks. The plane looks pretty neat for a real low cost flying entry. But they also had these floats. See the "Phone App for Gear Actuation" on the side?

To be fair, I didn't ask if there was another way to actuate, but bluetooth or WiFi seems like really bad idea for some thing like gear.

John

Edited to add picture.

Last edited:
Their backup is a key fob in the plane. Yes, I would prefer switches and wiring too.

Yeah, that's a whole lot of NOPE right there.

Sometimes it's not inovative, but there's a reason others don't do it

Can't wait for the keyless start system...

It appears there is an endless stream of apps coming online almost everyday, and it seems like more than a few are developed just because it's quirky and cool.

Do we really need an app to alert a dog feces removal service to "drop" by?

:D

So they're pushing the boundaries. Good for them. I do like the plane they've developed, and do like the price. Doesn't fit my needs, but its a start in the right direction. I like innovation.

My phone is more reliable then a lot of our ancient airplane bits. Rogue gear extension on a water landing is a sucky failure mode, but hey sacrifices must be made to have cool stuff in the future.

Back