Seeking therapy with 1st class medical

G

Hey y'all, I wanted to get some questions answered/advice for seeking therapy without it being a death sentence to my career.

I currently hold a 1st class medical with no history of mental health problems. Recently though, I have been experiencing some symptoms of OCD (obsessive, looping thoughts and worries). This hasn't impacted my flying as I'm able to compartmentalize, but my quality of life has suffered a good deal because of this. I want to seek therapy, but I'm well aware of how this could impact my medical.

I'm interested in getting therapy at my local OCD treatment center. They are licensed professional counselors and do not prescribe medication. I've heard that some pilots seek treatment by paying in cash and avoiding an official diagnosis so that they don't have to bother with reporting it to the FAA. If I sought this type of treatment, would it need to be reported? I want to help myself but I really don't want to deal with all the complications that could affect my medical.

The short answer: read and answer all of the questions on the medical application truthfully. Period.

Hey y'all, I wanted to get some questions answered/advice for seeking therapy without it being a death sentence to my career.

I currently hold a 1st class medical with no history of mental health problems. Recently though, I have been experiencing some symptoms of OCD (obsessive, looping thoughts and worries). This hasn't impacted my flying as I'm able to compartmentalize, but my quality of life has suffered a good deal because of this. I want to seek therapy, but I'm well aware of how this could impact my medical.

I'm interested in getting therapy at my local OCD treatment center. They are licensed professional counselors and do not prescribe medication. I've heard that some pilots seek treatment by paying in cash and avoiding an official diagnosis so that they don't have to bother with reporting it to the FAA. If I sought this type of treatment, would it need to be reported? I want to help myself but I really don't want to deal with all the complications that could affect my medical.

I knew some pilots who went to some church groups.

Cash and not using your name might work too, also just say no to drugs

Maybe a support group that doesn’t have a “professional” or require ID?

You walk in with cash they still fill out a bill and place a diagnosis code in your file. SucksThat you are forced to have to consider your career when contemplating talking to someone for a couple sessions.

Are you in a union? If so reach out to get help from your fellow pilots. There is a lot of support available. I would recommend not lying on your med application. There is lots of help available outside the scope of what’s reportable.

I have no doubt you’re a pilot. Such a high opinion of yourself that you think you can self diagnose as having OCD. You drive airplanes. You’re not a doctor.

Are you in a union? If so reach out to get help from your fellow pilots. There is a lot of support available. I would recommend not lying on your med application. There is lots of help available outside the scope of what’s reportable.

I have no doubt you’re a pilot. Such a high opinion of yourself that you think you can self diagnose as having OCD. You drive airplanes. You’re not a doctor.

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad to know that there's plenty of resources out there.

As for your second comment, the last time I checked, you didn't have to be a doctor to know that you're not doing quite as well mentally and would like to seek some therapy. But what do I know? I'm just a silly pilot with a big ego. :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad to know that there's plenty of resources out there.

As for your second comment, the last time I checked, you didn't have to be a doctor to know that you're not doing quite as well mentally and would like to seek some therapy. But what do I know? I'm just a silly pilot with a big ego. :)
I’m glad you picked up on the humor. ;-)

Hang in there it’s just a problem that needs to be solved one step at a time.

Cash. Don’t use your real name.
The FAA’s policies on stuff like this are killing more people than they save.

I had a co-worker with OCD doctors tried medication he didn't like the side effects. He learned to control it with Meditation I think he went somewhere to learn it unsure can't see how learning Meditation would be reportable to the FAA.

Last edited:
I had a co-worker with OCD doctors tried medication he didn't like the side effects. He learned to control it with mediation.

Court appointed? Or he had to find one on his own?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back