Seeking advice on strange ADS-B behavior

Piper_Six

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
1959 Bonqnza K35
Bough a (new to me) Bonanza K-35 back in April, it came with a GNS4330W and GTX330ES, ADS-B out enabled. All seemed to be fine, but recently, about 2-3 months into it, all of a sudden, I started to notice the "NO ADSB" flag on the GTX330ES screen. Did the usual customary online research and checked the settings. Still has the flag... when I look up the ownship info on ForeFlight, it shows up sometimes, even when the NOADSB message is on.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm yes, so far getting negative returns from the performance test... no results... Yes, have been trying to get to an avionics shop... scheduling has been a nightmare! Will keep trying.

Have you checked the RAIMs report on the 430W? At least that's free an immediate to see if you are getting effective sat reception.

Also ask ATC for a transponder check. Determine if they can see the 330ES.

Just thinking of the DIY stuff you can check.

I have read that the ADS-B equipment will be faulty if not initialized correctly. Be still when you turn it on for a few minutes. Let it capture all the satellites it can and get good lock.

When you are seeing the NO ADS-B message, use Stratus and ForeFlight to display what is being broadcast by your GTX 330ES. Tap on More>Devices>Stratus>Ownship>N number detected> and take a screenshot of the detail. It might take two screenshots as there are many parameters displayed and you have to scroll the screen to view all of them. Parameters that are good will show their values using a green font, bad will be a red font.

No ADSB on the GTX330ES means it is not receiving the ADSB data from the GNS-430W.
When I test GTX330ES units I turn off the GNS unit and wait for this message, then turn on the GNS unit and watch for the message to disappear when the GNS goes GPS valid

Seen that in G1000s and 530/330es from time to time.

When you are seeing the NO ADS-B message, use Stratus and ForeFlight to display what is being broadcast by your GTX 330ES. Tap on More>Devices>Stratus>Ownship>N number detected> and take a screenshot of the detail. It might take two screenshots as there are many parameters displayed and you have to scroll the screen to view all of them. Parameters that are good will show their values using a green font, bad will be a red font.

Yes, I tried this... here are the screen shots... not sure I understand it fully... It also didn't recognize the call sign though the 330ES is set up with the call sign...

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8c7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8c7.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 37
  • fullsizeoutput_8c8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8c8.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 35
Your aircraft is not transmitting anything. The screenshots are of a TISB, which means your aircraft is a target of another ADS-B Out equipped aircraft and TISB is generated by a ground station, not your transponder. So I would check the settings on your GPS and on your transponder as it does not appear you are getting the GPS position to the transponder.

Your aircraft is not transmitting anything. The screenshots are of a TISB, which means your aircraft is a target of another ADS-B Out equipped aircraft and TISB is generated by a ground station, not your transponder. So I would check the settings on your GPS and on your transponder as it does not appear you are getting the GPS position to the transponder.

Agree, yes, two things threw me off, one, the screen shot is off the Ownship menu, and it said ‘detected, so I wrongly assumed it detected ownship...

Second, no settings had been changed, it used to not have the NOADSB flag, it just started showing up a few flights ago... haven’t messed with any settings.

I am leaning towards a possible need to update software on both units.

Thanks all for the comments, will certainly have an avionics tech take a look and update.

Cheers.

Update on this matter.... Finally managed to get an Avionics tech take a look, after some diagnosis, the verdict is that the physical connection from the 330ES to the 430WAAS is broken/come loose. Fixing this is more involved, so ..... trying to get it scheduled again... With December already here, I am a little concerned if it will get done on time.... wondering seriously if I should just break down and get a Skybeacon and be done with it.... finding an avionics tech who can schedule me in has been very very difficult... :( based here near Birmingham, AL - anyone have any leads/suggestions who might be able to get me in ? Long shot, but thought I'd ask anyway ;)

Update on this matter.... Finally managed to get an Avionics tech take a look, after some diagnosis, the verdict is that the physical connection from the 330ES to the 430WAAS is broken/come loose. Fixing this is more involved, so ..... trying to get it scheduled again... With December already here, I am a little concerned if it will get done on time.... wondering seriously if I should just break down and get a Skybeacon and be done with it.... finding an avionics tech who can schedule me in has been very very difficult... :( based here near Birmingham, AL - anyone have any leads/suggestions who might be able to get me in ? Long shot, but thought I'd ask anyway ;)
They’ll have plenty of time for you Jan 2

Back