Sedona - 1 day for sightseeing

We will be staying in Flagstaff - I'll have to check out their FBO.

On the road from flagstaff to whichever Canyon rim is in that area there's a neat little A-Frame chapel. The door is always open; people can reserve it for their wedding or other function, and there are pages and pages of names of people who have signed the guest book. When you walk into the chapel and look toward the altar the entire back end of the A-frame is a glass wall, outside of which it's not uncommon to see cows or other animals grazing. I was last(and only) there in 1989(gasp!!) but I'd bet it's still maintained as before.

Flagstaff is a gorgeous airport. I flew there with Warren McIlvoy(PoA) in 2005. If I'm not mistaken, George Bush learned to fly there(or at least flew under one of the Flagstaff instructors).

Sedona? From the air it's hard to miss. See photo. I've heard it said, "You need to get it right on the first approach." Departing? See photo. That was a great little restaurant, though it may have been closed in the last year or three.

HR

Attachments

• Overflying Sedona, AZ.jpg
    Overflying Sedona, AZ.jpg
    720.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Departing Sedona, AZ.jpg
    Departing Sedona, AZ.jpg
    793.6 KB · Views: 10
On the road from flagstaff to whichever Canyon rim is in that area there's a neat little A-Frame chapel. The door is always open; people can reserve it for their wedding or other function, and there are pages and pages of names of people who have signed the guest book. When you walk into the chapel and look toward the altar the entire back end of the A-frame is a glass wall, outside of which it's not uncommon to see cows or other animals grazing. I was last(and only) there in 1989(gasp!!) but I'd bet it's still maintained as before.

Flagstaff is a gorgeous airport. I flew there with Warren McIlvoy(PoA) in 2005. If I'm not mistaken, George Bush learned to fly there(or at least flew under one of the Flagstaff instructors).

Sedona? From the air it's hard to miss. See photo. I've heard it said, "You need to get it right on the first approach." Departing? See photo. That was a great little restaurant, though it may have been closed in the last year or three.

HR

The restaurant is still open as of a couple days ago - but I heard rumors while I was there that it may either close or change their hours. We didn't stop in, though. We did drive by it and see people on the patio having a late lunch/early dinner.

edit - I heard about the chapel. It's still there, but we didn't see it.

I finally got the pictures (most of them), out of the cameras.

Here are just a few.

Cadillac Ranch, just west of Amarillo - sort of trashy, but a neat place to stop and stretch your legs.

In Sedona, don't miss out on a Pink Jeeps tour. We took the roughest 4x4 trail tour they had.

The ramp at the Sedona airport. The tour helicopter was pretty busy.

The road up to the airport has a scenic overlook.

Finally, the Grand Canyon, the reason for the trip in the first place.

Attachments

• Cadillac Ranch.JPG
    Cadillac Ranch.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 11
  • Pink Jeeps.JPG
    Pink Jeeps.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Sedona Ramp.JPG
    Sedona Ramp.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Sedona City.JPG
    Sedona City.JPG