sedatives at dentist

Rose2012

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rose2012
I need a root canal. Hooray for me. My dentist mentioned that a lot of people are prescribed medication beforehand to relax them - Valium was the one he specifically mentioned (but I am sure there are others?). Obviously the mention of Valium makes me wary of any medical issues - so what's the story with meds like these and reporting/flying?

I don't have any real fear of the dentist, and I've heard root canals aren't any more painful than a filling, so this might be be really a rhetorical question - but now I'm curious.

I need a root canal. Hooray for me. My dentist mentioned that a lot of people are prescribed medication beforehand to relax them - Valium was the one he specifically mentioned (but I am sure there are others?). Obviously the mention of Valium makes me wary of any medical issues - so what's the story with meds like these and reporting/flying?

I don't have any real fear of the dentist, and I've heard root canals aren't any more painful than a filling, so this might be be really a rhetorical question - but now I'm curious.

Just got done with a second root canal. No more uncomfortable than a filling, though the work takes longer. Best thing is a set of headphones, and crank them up realll loud. Or nitrous, if the dentist has it...

Ron Wanttaja

Best thing is a set of headphones,

This is one situation where I really appreicate my Bose QC15's. The ANR somehow also tunes out some of the bone conduction too.

Attachments

• Air Flossing.jpg
    Air Flossing.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 199

Have you had any type of dental work or an operation where a sedative was expected? I've had root canals (more than one) and no suggestion from the dentist on any preliminary sedation. I would suggest an early morning visit, tho. You'll be calmer, you're one of the first, if not the first, appt. of the day, and you'll have the entire day to recover from the 2x4 to the jaw...

Just got done with a second root canal. No more uncomfortable than a filling, though the work takes longer. Best thing is a set of headphones, and crank them up realll loud. Or nitrous, if the dentist has it...

Ron Wanttaja

Had my wisdom teeth pulled a few years back, the doc asked "What station do you want it on?" I said the local conservative talk radio show, he laughed, put it on NPR and proceeded to bash republicans for the duration of my procedure.

I recommend bringing your own ANR headset, turn it up LOUD.

Ok, so I guess the consensus is not to worry about any kind of sedative. But why the ANR headset?

Ok, so I guess the consensus is not to worry about any kind of sedative. But why the ANR headset?

Consult with Bruce to be sure about what to do with the sedative.

Listening to or recorded book helps the time pass. ANR helps kill the noise of what's going on.

the majority of root canals are done with just local anesthetic. If you take valium or ativan, you shouldn't be flying that day. They have extremely long half-lifes. Valium breaks down into active metabolites, and you'll feel the effects of it for a while.

There is also the chance you may need a narcotic afterwards. Although most root canals are very manageable, you do come across the ones that are tender. I'd keep my schedule clear of flying for at least the day, just in case.

I had a tooth pulled a few weeks ago and the dentist gave me a script for Vicoden. I told them I wasn't having it filled and didn't. I jut took Tylenol and did fine.

I had a root canal 2 years ago and it was no worse than a filling. I did, however get a nasty neck and shoulder cramp that took two visits to the chiropractor to sort out. Try to move your neck and jaw around a little periodically.

I hadn't even thought about narcotics - My AME has said in the past they're ok for pain as long as I wait before flying. Definitely wouldn't schedule flying for that day in any case. I was more concerned that taking a Valium would cause some big issue, as if it was like I had been diagnosed with anxiety, but it doesn't sound like I'll need it anyway. I can live with that answer!

The only issue is waiting for the drug to get out of your system before flying again -- 48 hours should do it with Valium, although after a root canal, you might not feel like flying that soon anyway. Since the use of that drug is a one-off, you will not be reporting it in the medications section of your next medical application. Put it all together, and it's a nonissue for the FAA as long as you don't fly again until you are really fit to fly.

Report "Dentist Visit, Root Canal" on the next medical app and wait until the drug leaves your system to fly again, done; simple as that.

Report "Dentist Visit, Root Canal" on the next medical app and wait until the drug leaves your system to fly again, done; simple as that.

It'll roll off the reporting period. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Something to think about for the self-grounding phase... Be mindful of permitting any trapped air in the area worked a chance to be absorbed or escape.

Similar to scuba diving soon after dental work and getting a tooth squeeze, it's painful thing. Think of your ears when you can't equalize. Now imagine that in your jaw while you're trying to operate an aircraft.

Something to think about for the self-grounding phase... Be mindful of permitting any trapped air in the area worked a chance to be absorbed or escape.

Similar to scuba diving soon after dental work and getting a tooth squeeze, it's painful thing. Think of your ears when you can't equalize. Now imagine that in your jaw while you're trying to operate an aircraft.

the odds of that are extremely remote. the only air driven tool would be the handpiece to create the access in the top of the tooth. After the tooth is cleaned and shaped, it is filled with sealer and gutta percha. The procedure itself should be a non-issue after any soreness is gone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back