Securing an Oxygen Cylinder

TrueCourse

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TrueCourse
I'm looking for some feedback regarding securing an oxygen cylinder in a four place airplane (172, 182, PA28, etc.)

For those with portable oxygen systems, what methods of securing the cylinder work better than others (seat back carrying case from the major oxygen vendors, securing against a seat rail, etc.)?

Any comments about secured upright vs secured flat on the floor between seats?

What about turbulence and tanks when the seat-back cases are used?

This will most likely be used with just the pilot or pilot + one passenger, rather than every seat filled so that helps with options. But, sometimes the passenger might be in a back seat vs right next to me, which can complicate storing the tank behind the copilot seat.

I removed my bench back seats in our commander and secured my O2 flat on the carpeted replacement. Commander owners refer to this as station wagon mode. The placement worked perfect until we would need to haul rescue pets or stack baggage evenly.

I now relocated the O2 bottle behind the copilot seat in a vertical configuration within easy reach of the pilot seat. Flight test remains to be completed.

I have one of the cloth carriers that are intended for seat back use, but I usually just secure it in the back seat with a seat belt, with the tank pointing forward so that I can reach the valve and fittings from the pilot seat.

I now relocated the O2 bottle behind the copilot seat in a vertical configuration within easy reach of the pilot seat. Flight test remains to be completed.

Using a bag that is strapped to the seat or just by itself touching the floor or strapped to the seat back somehow? I can see either working. I know smaller tanks can go in seat back pockets, but that won’t work for the larger ones.

For a really out of the box approach you could put some fins on them and attach them to the tie downs with the pointy end facing forward ... :dunno:

I'm looking for some feedback regarding securing an oxygen cylinder in a four place airplane (172, 182, PA28, etc.)

For those with portable oxygen systems, what methods of securing the cylinder work better than others (seat back carrying case from the major oxygen vendors, securing against a seat rail, etc.)?

Any comments about secured upright vs secured flat on the floor between seats?
If you have room under your seat, that’s the best place that I’ve found. Quick release metal straps are bolted to an
What about turbulence and tanks when the seat-back cases are used?

This will most likely be used with just the pilot or pilot + one passenger, rather than every seat filled so that helps with options. But, sometimes the passenger might be in a back seat vs right next to me, which can complicate storing the tank behind the copilot seat.
I found that under the pilots seat works great. Two quick release metal straps bolted to an aluminum plate, exactly how a fire extinguisher would be mounted. The regulator pops out just between your legs so it’s very easy to adjust flow and check connections. 99% of the time I don’t have the tank on board, only when heading to ski country. It’s a poor mans “built in oxygen”. I just account for the extra weight and balance by just adding the weight to my seat position when the tank is flying.

in a 182, they make center consoles with a compartment for o2 cylinders

Thanks. After asking this question I now see that it was asked about 7 years ago. Oh well, fresh answers are always good. Haven’t seen the 182 console for it. I’m sure that will be costly.

Thanks. After asking this question I now see that it was asked about 7 years ago. Oh well, fresh answers are always good. Haven’t seen the 182 console for it. I’m sure that will be costly.
Cool now that you've gotten the real answers it's time for a variation on an old joke...
I'm looking for some feedback regarding securing an oxygen cylinder
The Navy would turn off the valve and disconnect the hoses.
The Army would assemble something to fasten it to the airframe.
The Marines would form an assault, using overlapping fields of fire from all appropriate points on the perimeter.
The Air Force would take out a three-year lease with an option to buy when the term is up.

I have a long bottle O2 tank (E-size). In the 182, I lay it on the floor between the front seats and tuck it under the rear seat against the center rear seat support. This puts the top of the tank right between the seats on the floor. I have a bungee cord I wrap around the neck of the tank and around the rear seat center support to keep the tank firmly in place.

Yes, we certainly don't want to leave tanks unsecured, since they can become missiles in greater severe turbulence.

My 40 cubic foot tank of my DIY system fits perfectly between the front seats of my of my 1964 c-210. No need for more securing.

10770.jpg

Thanks. Doesn’t look that tank is going anywhere.

Back