Sectional Schedule

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Is there a place to find a schedule for sectionals before I buy them so I don't buy a bunch for a trip in a month that are going to expire like 2 days before?

Nick, you can find the effective dates of the current charts from the Sectional Chart Bulletins here.

Well, sort of. It shows the current chart being October 25th....but not when the next chart becomes effective....is it always 6 months?

Well, sort of. It shows the current chart being October 25th....but not when the next chart becomes effective....is it always 6 months?
It's always 6 months except when it isn't. Exceptions are the Grand Canyon and maybe some non-ConUS. But, since the ConUS challenge doesn't recognize those others anyway,.... :goofy::rofl:

Here ya go. Here's a list that spells out all the expiration dates. This is the one I was thinking of earlier but couldn't find it immediately.

No, it's not always six months. Sometimes it's 168 days; sometimes 196, but it always falls on a Thursday. Because the calendar is so irregular they cycle them either 168 or 196 days to keep the changeover around the same time of the year consistently for a given chart.

WAC charts for the Continental USA are on a 364-day cycle; some offshore WAC charts are 728 days (2 years).

Last edited:
It's always 6 months except when it isn't. Exceptions are the Grand Canyon and maybe some non-ConUS. But, since the ConUS challenge doesn't recognize those others anyway,.... :goofy::rofl:

LOL. It appears that Albuquerque's chart is valid for a year? Would make sense, since NOTHING changes here. The last like 5 updates were identical. Last time I saw something change was when SAF's tower freq. changed.

LOL. It appears that Albuquerque's chart is valid for a year? Would make sense, since NOTHING changes here. The last like 5 updates were identical. Last time I saw something change was when SAF's tower freq. changed.
Check the back of the AF/D for a list of the changes. There are probably lots of new towers that you don't notice. Ind I guess it might be more accurate to say it's "about" every six months. Close enough for government work! :rofl: And a new [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] ALBUQUERQUE came out within the past 30 days (indicated by the "new" on the link I posted). It won't be effective until 5/9, which is when the CHICAGO one is effective, too. The one posted on skyvector for ABQ is valid Oct 25 2007 to May 8 2008.[/FONT]

The things that change most often are radio towers and buildings that may sprout up beyond average terrain. There may be a change to controlled sector borders or surface areas for airports or to runways here and there. Most changes we never notice unless it's a place we deal with often.

Our's will probably be changing before the next publication.

I usually use http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/chart/FAA_VFR_Sectional_Charts.asp
where they show you when the current chart expires and allow you to place your order ahead of time for the next chart cycle. Plus no shipping charge and they're available for $7.25. Yesterday I received the ones I ordered that are effective 5/10.

How far ahead of time do the future sectionals usually arrive? Early enough that I can get Kansas City's 6/5 update before I leave for Gastons?

How far ahead of time do the future sectionals usually arrive? Early enough that I can get Kansas City's 6/5 update before I leave for Gastons?
As I mentioned, mine arrived yesterday (Tuesday), and they're effective on the 9th (Friday), so 4 days in this case. It'll depend on the USPS, NACO, shipping times, etc.

Back