Secondary stall

loch1957

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James
Doing some practice for my check ride. actually a dummy check ride with my CFI. Nice day a tad on the windy side but any day flying is good, I did great on every thing UNTIL I did a stall. I recognized it and pitched nose down to straight and level and applied full power. I pulled the nose up without realizing it and I got a secondary stall. For the record an Ercoupe dang sure will spin!!! It wont spin but once and it straightens out but it will cause serious pucker. I did several after that and were fine. thats first and last time I do that. Lesson learned is never get cocky, just because it says it wont spin does not mean it cant. Now if I can do it right on thursday without spinning, I get sighned off I hope to take the check ride.

You saw the outcome of yanking the nose up to quickly. :yes:

Maybe it's just you making your story brief, but remember to push the nose below the horizon on a stall recovery.

It won't help you in a Ercoupe but pressing opposite rudder on a stall will help keep you from spinning. If the nose slides left apply right rudder and so forth.

Just some helpful hints! :D

There shouldn't be any need to push the nose over, just let it fall on its own by releasing all of the back pressure.

For the record an Ercoupe dang sure will spin!!! It wont spin but once and it straightens out but it will cause serious pucker.

I'd be surprised if you truly got it to spin. Ercoupe has limited elevator, and the rudders are mostly out of the propwash. Lots of people confuse a wing drop during a stall with a spin entry. Spirals are often confused with spins as well. Have you had any spin training yet?

This coupe has pedals so its capable of spinning, it wasn't a full spin. My cfi said it got his attention lol. As for a death grip thats one thing i dont do, but i tend to pull back very slightly in turns, trying to quit that. When the left wing dropped i pulled back not realizing i did it. I'll do better thursday.

Back