Secondary Nav/Com

kevin7500

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kevin
So, it looks like I am going to be the proud owner of a '67 M20C shortly. It is currently a VFR platform. I have a standing appointment at the avionics shop to clean up the panel arrangement and upgrade to an IFR platform. They have a pretty sweet deal on a Garmin 430 (non-WAAS) that I will be taking advantage of.

The question is this: what is a good secondary Nav/Com? With the 430 in the panel whatever is installed below it will probably almost never get used. I was considering a KX-155, but the 14 volt models aren't exactly attractively priced.

Any thoughts?

Garmin SL30, but there aren't a whole lot of those on the used market. The SL30 is kind of like having two coms in one with the ability to actively monitor the standby frequency. What is in it now? If you want cheap, just keep it.

What Greg said. The SL30 is probably the best nav/comm out there, but not cheap, and if you have a good nav/comm in the plane already, it may be more cost-effective to make that your backup behind the 430.

That said, if you fly IFR, you will probably still be using your #2 comm a good deal for monitoring 121.5, getting ATIS/AWOS, etc.

I use my #2 nav/com for monitoring 121.5 and getting weather even when flying VFR.

I wouldn't spend any money on upgrading the #2 nav/com unless it's unreliable or broken. As to what to put in, my #2 is an MX170, which is a KX170B with a digital faceplate on it. Such a setup has worked well in every plane I've flown, and it's attractively priced.

I think the "attraction" may not be so attractive if it isn't replacing a KX 170B to begin with. Having to purchase and replace a tray may negate the attraction to the MX.

Good point.

I ended up putting an SL30 in as a second Nav/Comm almost by accident, but I'm really glad I did. Far superior to any other Nav/Comm out there, I use it all the time.

The "monitor" function is one that sounded like an "eh, ok" feature, but in practice I use it all the time. Great for picking up ATIS without having to try to listen to ATC on your number one while you copy ATIS on number 2. When the winds are variable it's nice to be able to monitor AWOS/ASOS pretty much constantly and not miss any calls on CTAF or Tower.

I bought mine used, they are out there.

Jay

I've got a KY196 which has turned into the primary comm. Works great and was very inexpensive to purchase. Primary comm (a KLX 135A) went screwy soon after I got the aircraft. Gets used for wx and guard, nada mas. Not a very dependable unit.

Where you having it done? The guys at GRR or up at Oceana ?

https://secure.sarasotaavionics.com/product.aspx?id=224

I had a 430 with this under it, I loved it for IFR, when you have to track 2 vors, has a to/from button so you can just watch it click away till you get the radial you want.

Check it out I loved mine and will have another in my next plane.

For about the same price you could get a SL-30 which is far superior, has all the same features and more. The GNS430/530W will autotune it as well.

My KX155A is pretty nifty, I like it. Note the KX155A is an improved version of the KX155.

Even if you're not going to put the WAAS unit in now because of the sweet deal they have, make sure that all the wiring they do would handle the WAAS if (when?) you upgrade later. It would really suck to have to pay them to do that twice!

My KX155A is pretty nifty, I like it. Note the KX155A is an improved version of the KX155.
That would be a good choice if he were to go with a KLN-94 for his GPS, as they talk to each other, and if he is willing to give up some of the 430's features in return for saving a couple of thou, a 155A/94 combo might do well. But as a second unit below a 430, I think the advantages of the 430/30 interface and the panel space area savings outweigh the 155A's features as a standalone nav/comm.

So, it looks like I am going to be the proud owner of a '67 M20C shortly. It is currently a VFR platform. I have a standing appointment at the avionics shop to clean up the panel arrangement and upgrade to an IFR platform. They have a pretty sweet deal on a Garmin 430 (non-WAAS) that I will be taking advantage of.

The question is this: what is a good secondary Nav/Com? With the 430 in the panel whatever is installed below it will probably almost never get used. I was considering a KX-155, but the 14 volt models aren't exactly attractively priced.

Any thoughts?

Mmm can't really say, I'd have to see it first. Bring it to wings and I'll let ya know :D

BTW congrats Kevin!

Where is that autotune feature in the owner's manual? I've got a 430w/sl30 setup and the dealer never mentioned it. Maybe the 480 has it considering from where the two were derived.

For about the same price you could get a SL-30 which is far superior, has all the same features and more. The GNS430/530W will autotune it as well.

That would be a good choice if he were to go with a KLN-94 for his GPS, as they talk to each other, and if he is willing to give up some of the 430's features in return for saving a couple of thou, a 155A/94 combo might do well. But as a second unit below a 430, I think the advantages of the 430/30 interface and the panel space area savings outweigh the 155A's features as a standalone nav/comm.

Hmm, my KX155A and KLN94 don't talk to eachother. At least if they do, I wasn't aware of it.

Hmm, my KX155A and KLN94 don't talk to eachother. At least if they do, I wasn't aware of it.

Do you have the 155A? The KX-155 doesn't listen to the KLN-94 but the 155A does have that ability. A RS-232 serial connection between the two is required along with configuration settings in the GPS and 155A.

From the KLN-94 Install manual:
2.4.1.5 Maintenance 5 (MNT 5) Page

The MNT 5 page is used to configure the Quicktune* outputs of the KLN 94. The COMM frequencies stored in the KLN 94 may be sent to up to 4 COMMs that recognize the Quicktune* labels transmitted over the RS232 bus. The Bendix/King KX155A and KX165A are examples of such a radio.

Similarly, the NAV frequencies stored in the KLN 94 may be sent to up to 4 NAV radios. If a Quicktune* compatible COMM or NAV is assigned in the KLN94 MNT 5 page (i.e. COMM-2, and NAV-1), then the specific COMMs and NAVs must be configured themselves with the same identifier. For the specific procedure on how to assign an identifier to a KX155A, refer to section 3.1.4.3 of the KX155A Installation Manual.

If a radio number is assigned in the KLN94, a similar operation must be performed in the radio. In other words, if COMM-2 is assigned in the KLN94 as being a valid output, the KX155A (or other Quicktune*-valid receiver) must be configured to accept Quicktune* frequencies and identified as “COMM2”.

If an installation allows more than one Quicktune* radio (i.e. two or more KX155A), it is not necessarily recommended that both radios should be configured for Quicktune* operation, but rather consult with the owner and ask for the owner’s recommendation. If only one valid Quicktune* COMM radio is chosen in the MNT 5 page, when the user sets the CRSR over a COMM frequency and presses ENT, the frequency will automatically be placed in the STANDBY slot of the radio. On the other hand, if two or more valid Quicktune* COMMs are chosen in the MNT 5 page, after pressing ENT on a COMM frequency, the user will be asked to which radio that frequency should be sent. While it increases flexibility, this could be considered a nuisance.

When the installation is complete, the user will be able to choose the default Quicktune* radios for both COMM and NAV on the SET 14 page. Consult the KLN94 Pilot’s Guide for additional information.

Quicktune* TM

I have a KX155A. I don't know if the Quicktune feature is activated on it, but in reading from it it doesn't sound like it's something I necessarily care about. Normally I follow along with VORs and dialing in the frequencies works fine. Thanks for the info, Lance.

If you have both, it depends on whether the shop which installed the last one did the hook-up. Beyond that, check the manuals.

No idea whether or not they did the hookup. Nobody mentioned to me that they talk to eachother. Maybe I'll play around with it at some point and see...

Back