Second time as a student (more Waco stuff)

ebetancourt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
If ya'll get tired of me just let me know. Today I got to fly before and after work. About 30 mins each time. I am getting pretty comfortable with spins, but having a tough time coming out straight down. Learned a few things today. On one spin I accidentally left in a little power. Wow different airplane. Had to use anti spin controls for the first time. I finally realized that part of my problem is that normally recovery is instant with any relaxation of controls. This morning I let the stick move forward maybe two inches. End of spin, even with full rudder still in!

I finally decided that straight down is going to happen after recovery with a push. Came pretty close on the last one this evening and pulled off a loop after. It was a close run thing to have the energy to float across the top. If I had asked for any lift it would have stalled I think.

Drag above 120 is significant and even with full power I have only seconds to go from level to pulling for a loop or half cuban, etc. (150 recommended, 140 possible).

I can't believe how much fun I am having. :D It has been almost 48 years since I did as many spins as I have in the last few weeks. I am beginning to believe I can do the primary sequence and I will accomplish my goal of being a better pilot when I do. Thanks to those who have helped with supportive comments and suggestions!

Keep it up Ernie - glad you're having fun. I don't hear from too many folks doing acro in a Waco, so keep us posted.

The Waco seems to have unusual spin characteristics. In most planes if you apply forward stick during the spin while holding the pro-spin rudder, the spin will accelerate rather than stop.

Just keep in mind that you want to push over to the vertical down attitude as soon as the spin stops. If you hesitate, you could be downgraded for drawing a "positive" line after the spin. Or you can also start the pushover as the spin is stopping. Either way is acceptable. But if by starting the pushover early, the spin stops and requires aileron to rotate around to your final heading, then that may be seen by the judges as "cheating", and downgraded. Make a quick glance at your wingtip after you've pushed over to check how vertical you are, then look back over the nose.

You can always spot the newbie competition pilots by those flying the vertical line after the spin with the throttle closed. It's not instinctive to apply full power with the nose pointed at the ground, but you're throwing away altitude (energy) if you don't. Get full power in ASAP after the spin stops. In the Pitts, I actually apply full power during the recovery. This is terrible technique for emergency spin recovery, but precision aerobatics is a different thing entirely. In many airplanes, power will stop the spin more quickly, and the sooner you apply full power, the less altitude it will take to achieve airspeed for the next figure.

I think you've discovered that competition acro is not about competing with other pilots. It's about the personal challenge, the learning process, and the satisfaction that comes with improving on the smallest things. You could spend a lifetime at it, and still find the challenge. There's infinite potential for things to improve on. Some folks are happy just sloppy flopping around the sky. That's fine, but simply watching the horizon flip around doesn't do much for me. There has to be some sort of challenge and satisfaction. Are you flying the Grenada contest in May? Look forward to hearing about it.

Eric

Last edited:
SNIP

... Are you flying the Grenada contest in May? Look forward to hearing about it.

Eric

That is my goal, assuming I get good enough to fly the sequence between now and then. Interestingly enough, I have never flown a cuban or a slow roll. In a T-28A we did barrel rolls, in the T-38 aileron rolls. (720*/sec, caution in the POH that full aileron could be disorienting). So those will be learned individually before adding to the sequence.

Looks like no flying weather here until middle of the week next week, but life is like that. My parachute is back, so I will be ready.

I am even reading the PHAK. Is that ever boring, but I am really treating myself as a student in the truest sense.

Ernie

PS thanks for the tips on exiting the spin, I had come to the conclusion that a push as the recovery is complete was the only way I was going to get it done.

If ya'll get tired of me just let me know. Today I got to fly before and after work. About 30 mins each time. I am getting pretty comfortable with spins, but having a tough time coming out straight down. Learned a few things today. On one spin I accidentally left in a little power. Wow different airplane. Had to use anti spin controls for the first time. I finally realized that part of my problem is that normally recovery is instant with any relaxation of controls. This morning I let the stick move forward maybe two inches. End of spin, even with full rudder still in!

I finally decided that straight down is going to happen after recovery with a push. Came pretty close on the last one this evening and pulled off a loop after. It was a close run thing to have the energy to float across the top. If I had asked for any lift it would have stalled I think.

Drag above 120 is significant and even with full power I have only seconds to go from level to pulling for a loop or half cuban, etc. (150 recommended, 140 possible).

I can't believe how much fun I am having. :D It has been almost 48 years since I did as many spins as I have in the last few weeks. I am beginning to believe I can do the primary sequence and I will accomplish my goal of being a better pilot when I do. Thanks to those who have helped with supportive comments and suggestions!

Whereabouts in Tennessee are you flying this Waco? And who's Waco is it?! :)

Back