Second Solo X-Country

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
So today's trip took me from JQF to 5W8 (Siler City), this time I had everything planned out, and I made sure that the first flight plan I grabbed when in the left seat was the right one. So after getting my cockpit set up the way I like it (where I can grab the flight plan, map, checklist, and the big green book with ease) I did my walk around. When I look under the right wing, I noticed a small puddle and when I went to sniff it, it did smell like 1100LL fuel. So I called the flying club office and told them about the puddle, and the guy who was there came out with a line man, and apparently when you fill a tank to the top, you will get puddles like this. Which is news to me because I've seen this aircraft tank filled up to the top in the past and I never saw puddles. This is a Piper Cherokee 180 E. Anyways, after we confirmed that it wasn't a fuel leaking, I finished my walk around.

After I finished my walk around I noticed clouds coming over the field from the North, so I called FSS to see if this was going to be a problem. Their radar didn't show anything below 12,000. So I got in, got my aircraft started up. I asked the tower about the clouds, same report, we're good to go. So I get my Flight Following, get up to 3,000 (didn't bust my minimum's this time! :D), and Charlotte Departure basically had me doing step climbs from 3,000 to 5,000 and finally to 5,500.

The flight to Siler City was alright, was on course throughout the whole trip, checked off my way point as they came. Then I descended into Siler City, after a bouncy landing into Siler (too fast, I know, I know) I pulled off the runway and into the parking area.

There was a bi-plane there and I wish I could've stayed for awhile and checked it out, but the instruction were to turn around and come back. So I left Siler City hook up with Greensboro Departure for my Flight Following back in. Leveled off at 4,500 for the run back. I had the sun in my eye until I hit that cloud layer that seems to be hanging over Concord.

On the way back, I knew there was one tower in the area, to the north, and I did a step descent. I descended to 4,000, 3,000 then 2,500 till I had the field in sight and went down to Pattern Alt. I landed a little hard because this time I was trying to keep it at 70 and trying to go for a soft landing, but it gave out around 15 feet up, and that was it.

All in all, this trip was MUCH better, the landings wern't the smooth touch downs that I wanted, but at least nothing broke and I can use the aircraft again! (hehe), and because I learned from my past mistakes I was able to enjoy the flight more and get to take in the view from up there. I was actually able to see Downtown Concord as I flew over it, that how well I was prepared, :D This trip was awesome and I can't wait for the third one. :)

Sounds like a great trip! It seems you had all your ducks in a row and the trip was much more enjoyable, good job! It also sounds like your starting to learn the area from the air.

When I was taking lessons I always found myself searching for where I was after my CFI turned me every which way. Anymore the tri-state (DE,NJ,PA) area is like driving to and from work, nuke plant here, bridges there, the C&D canal, Canal bridges...and so on. The Bride even picks out all the landmarks now.

Keep up the good work, before you know it you'll be signing that white slip of paper and hear those magic words.......Congrats PILOT!

Great post and congrats on the flight. I learned to fly out of Monroe, NC but sometimes flew some of the club's aircraft up at Concord as well - with the admonition not to fly out of JQF on Thursday afternoons, because that's when the race teams' aircraft leave for the weekend's races. You could be sitting on a taxiway a long time.

I think it was good to learn to navigate in the Carolinas, because there isn't a straight road in the region and it's easy to get turned around if you are in unfamiliar territory and aren't adjusting your DG frequently.

I do enjoy flying up north - straight roads, cooler summer weather, and Lake Michigan as a GREAT BIG VFR waypoint!

As one of my friends with close to 500 hours put it to me a few days ago: "If you become a landing expert, please teach me." :)

I have a similar problem with tending to go in too fast. I've gotten better at it (and more importantly better at not jerking the yoke back causing the plane to lift upwards, that's the big thing), but yesterday I went out and did 9 touch-and-gos before dark. I was happy with the first one and the last two, and from those 6 in the middle they varried. Some were smooth but landing flat, some were mains but rough... I just try to be really smooth with it, but it's just a matter of more practice to build up the judgement. I only have 81 landings.

Sounds like you had a good trip, and great write-up! I'm looking forward to doing my solo cross countries, hopefully soon. That trip to Maine in the Aztec threw off my schedule some, but I'm not going to complain about that. :D

All planes have fuel vents which allow air to get into the tank to replace the fuel that is burned. If the tanks were sealed, external air pressure would collapse them as the fuel is sucked out. When a tank is completely filled with cold fuel (out of an underground tank or from a truck that sat out overnight), and the day gets warmer, the fuel expands. Having nowhere else to go, it goes out the fuel vent and dribbles on the ground. This is completely normal, and remedied only by not quite filling the tank or by flying immediately after fueling.

Back