Second Flight in a Twin

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
My fiancee was up here for the weekend, and needed to return to school yesterday (Monday). Seeing as I have work on Monday and she had no car up here, I was faced with the option of driving her back. 8 hour round trip drive, and I had work the next morning. Yick. I asked my flight instructor if he could fly us there to drop her off. He agreed (I am most fortunate) and yesterday after work we got to the airport. Seeing as the sun sets early, we had under an hour to get to our destination before dark completely set in, which wasn't going to happen. It was at minimum IFR conditions with ice. I wasn't sure which plane we were taking, but I had a feeling.

As we walked out the door we saw his shiny Navajo parked out front, prepped and ready to go. I rode right seat this time, given the weather conditions. I spent the time listening, observing, and trying to absorb info. While my second flight was an IFR in his Comanche to Pittsburgh and back, this flight was significantly different.

Approaching the Princeton airport, we broke out of the clouds about 1000' AGL, thinking we were home free. The one patch of fog happened to be directly on top of the airport. Great. Forget about landing there, so we diverted to Trenton airport. While the clouds were lower, they had an ILS approach. The landing went smoothly, we dropped her off, and then turned around and returned home.

As we were standing around while the plane was being refueled (all 72 gallons - he wasn't kidding about the 40 gallon/hr flight planning) we talked about the flight. It wouldn't have been doable in a plane without deice, simply because of the known ice conditions. The issue was not that we needed the deice - only trace ice ever formed on the wings - it was that we couldn't have done that flight, which was mostly through clouds, without having that equipment as it was known ice conditions. While we technically didn't need an airplane that was Navajo-sized for that (with only 3 people on board total, and 2 for the return), the Navajo was the plane to take because it's in great condition, and everything is known to work on it and work well at that. Plus there was some turbulence, but the Navajo didn't care. Especially seeing a situation where we got diverted due to weather, the last thing you need is to be worrying about the systems on the plane not working. He said he had thought about asking the owner of the Aztec I flew back from Maine a few weeks back if we could use it (which would also be good seeing as it would give my fiancee the exposure to an Aztec), but then figured that he wasn't sure of everything on that plane as he doesn't fly it, and for this flight it made more sense to just use the plane that we had assurance in.

I don't have a line in my log book for this (unfortunately), I didn't even touch the controls once. That also meant it was the first time that I saw my instructor's true flying skill, as in the past every time we've been in a plane together previously I've been left seat and he's just been helping as necessary with certain procedures being demonstrated. I saw just what a difference the 5000 hour pilot (with 3000+ hrs of twin time) made vs. mine, and how far I have to go.

My fiancee got to sit in the passenger cabin, getting the full experience of being flown somewhere. She loved it, and the more exposure she gets makes her more positive about getting a plane. This is very good for me. :)

damn you need to introduce me to your CFI, he has a Navajo and a Comanche! sounds like you are having fun, you have been spoiled now and a 172 will never seem quite the same...

And all I want to know is if you only had 3 people in the plane.... Why O Why did you not call me?!?!?!?!?!?!?! All I was doing was laundry and watching re-runs of star treck Enterprise and It would have been just as cool to be sitting in the back!

Missa

You're getting a lot of BIG dollar exposure to fancy airplanes. Good for you, but one day, those twin bills will come your way. It tempers the experience, trust me!

HW

You're getting a lot of BIG dollar exposure to fancy airplanes. Good for you, but one day, those twin bills will come your way. It tempers the experience, trust me!

HW
I should have my buddy come on here and tell about the last annual he had on his Chieftain. $40,000 and some change -- and no, no engine overhaul.

The Navajo was great fun, but the 72 gallons for a flight that in a 172 or Comanche would have used about 1/3 that amount just goes to show the surface of how high dollar these planes are.

He was doing me a big favor, one for which I am very thankful. :)

Flying in these planes gives me an appreciation for the 172 for how different it is, and what its different capabilities are. It has the capability to be low cost, which the Navajo absolutely does not. Even if it just sits in the hangar all year it will probably cost you a lot of money. It also has the capability to be fuel efficient (another thing the Navajo does not), and I could come up with some other advantages.

Sure, I like these bigger planes better, but I also like a Ferrari better than my Excursion. I would rather own the Excursion. :)

Last edited:
Did your instructor do this flight for free? If not, I think I need to introduce your instructor to 14 CFR 119.23(b) before the local FSDO does.

Did your instructor do this flight for free? If not, I think I need to introduce your instructor to 14 CFR 119.23(b) before the local FSDO does.

My instructor is a commercial rated pilot, however this was free just as a favor to me (a really BIG favor).

My instructor is a commercial rated pilot, however this was free just as a favor to me (a really BIG favor).
Commercial Rated Pilot, was never in question. The operation is what's in question.

Last edited:
One of the things least understood by newer pilots is how few the additional privileges of a Commercial Pilot certificate are. It permits the holder only the following:
  1. To receive compensation from the operator of an aircraft for acting as a pilot, and
  2. To act as a pilot crewmember in an aircraft carrying passengers or cargo for hire.
What it does not permit is for a pilot to be paid by passengers or shippers for transporting passengers or cargo by air, i.e., to take money from passengers or shippers and put it in his own pocket. That requires, as discussed in 14 CFR 119.23(b), a Part 135 Commercial Operating Certificate, which is a whole 'nother kettle o'fish than a Part 61 Commercial Pilot Certificate. Since he had no "common purpose" for the flight to deliver your girlfriend back to school, he can't even accept your/her pro rata shares of the direct expenses under 61.113(c). Thus, even though he has a Commercial Pilot certificate, your flight instructor cannot (unless he's also got a Part 135 Commercial Operating Certificate) legally accept a single penny from you or her for this flight -- not even gas money or other expenses.

Of course, there's nothing specific that says you can't pick up the tab for the big steak dinner you two have when you get back, as long as that's just a friendly gesture having nothing to do with that flight. But legally, no cash or other item of value may change hands in exchange for the flight.

So the instructor just felt like going for a ride in an airplane that costs who-knows-how-much to operate? :eek:

So the instructor just felt like going for a ride in an airplane that costs who-knows-how-much to operate? :eek:

Well, since I don't want people thinking there were potential violations of the FARs and try to report my flight instructor (which will both leave everyone who knows him angry at me and leave me without a flight instructor), I suppose I'll divulge a little more info so you understand the situation, and also how kind-hearted of a flight instructor I have. Suffice it to say the past week for me has been hell. I had to take several days off work which all my coworkers do (and will) know of specifics is that it was a personal emergency. All I was able to give as far as notice was a message that my boss received in the morning saying I had a personal emergency and would be out for the next two days. My flight instructor understood the situation (at least that aspect of it), and as such he was doing me a big favor related to the emergency.

If a friend of yours came to you and asked a big favor that basically was worded as "I need to get here now" with legitimate reason, would you not fly him or her? I would for a friend, regardless of the cost of the aircraft to operate. I suspect most of you would, too.

I'll kindly ask that no further questions be asked regarding anything related to the funding, reasons, logistics, etc. of the flight, period. It is not the business of anyone on this forum. Please keep on-topic to anything regarding the actual aspects of the flight itself. My point was simply to share strictly the flight experience, and how it related to my flight training.

Incidentally, though, now I know that I want to get my Part 135 for what I want to do eventually. But if I want to discuss that more, I will start a new thread.

Last edited:
Ted, now you're talking 135 under "personal desire". You're getting a bit..........frightening.

Ted, now you're talking 135 under "personal desire". You're getting a bit..........frightening.

That's not the first time I've been accused of that. :D

We'll see where the path takes me. So far it's been a lot of interesting places, I see this as another one. :)

Sounds like a cool experience! Sometimes, you just fall into the right situations. Hopefully it keeps working out for you!

Thanks for sharing!

Tell your Fiancee your Lear was in the shop!

Or should I just get some peel-off stickers of my name and put them on any plane that we happen to fly in before she sees it? :D

Back