Seawind goes down near KSRQ

Of all the ways to die, fire is way down on the bottom of my list. :(

I believe that raises the total for Seawind crashes to about 13 now. Sad very sad. RIP

"I'm just a little shook up. It's tough to see somebody reaching out for you and you can't do much about it"
That's one of the saddest things I can imagine :(

Cute plane, is that wing power loaded, why would they have any different glide path? why 13 crashes?

Its hard for anyone just taking off but seems if you leave the pattern you should have altitude to glide some where.

RIP.

Cute plane, is that wing power loaded, why would they have any different glide path? why 13 crashes?

I've never personally been in one, but there's a guy at one of the local airports that has one (at his other home in Florida) and he describes it as gliding like a brick with the power off and that the stall characteristics are "rather aggressive, almost like an aerobatic sort of deal". Coming from the person in question (a former F-16 pilot with the ANG), I would tend to take it at face value more than if it were coming from a low-hour pilot such as myself. The description of a **** poor glide ratio seems to fit with many of the crash scenarios I have heard involving this type.

By the way, not counting this one, there are 15 crashes (six fatal) in the NTSB database.

4/2/2012 Deland, FL Both occupants seriously injured along with three hurt on the ground
"A pilot at DED reported that he landed on runway 23, and while taxiing, observed the accident airplane depart. The airplane rotated about 500 feet prior to the end of the runway, and began a shallow climb, while mostly maintaining a high pitch angle. Shortly thereafter, he observed the airplane "stall" and enter a descending left spin, before it disappeared behind a tree line. He did not hear any communications from the accident airplane over the airport common traffic advisory frequency after the takeoff."

6/23/2010 Sanibel Island, FL No injuries
An overstress failure of the elevator. Contributing to the accident was the owner/builder's modification of the experimental airplane beyond the recommendations of the kit manufacturer.

4/23/2007 Knox City, MO 2 dead, 1 serious
The loss of engine power for an undetermined reason. Contributing to the accident was the unsuitable terrain that was encountered by the pilot during the forced landing.

4/11/2007 Yanceyville, NC 1 dead
The pilot's failure to maintain clearance/altitude while operating in instrument meteorological conditions (IMC). Contributing to the accident was the pilot's lack of an instrument rating, his improper decision to operate in IMC, a low cloud ceiling, and reduced visibility.

7/10/2006 Havasu Lake, CA No injuries
"an electrical fire due to improper wiring of the electrical system by other maintenance personnel."

8/28/2005 Wrightsville Beach, NC 2 dead
"The pilot's improper preflight decision to attempt night VFR flight into IMC, which resulted in an inflight encounter with weather and the pilot's subsequent loss of control of the airplane due to spatial disorientation."
Note: Pilot in this case was drunk and high on barbiturates at the time of the crash

6/18/2005 Sarasota, FL 1 dead
Maintenance personnel failure to secure throttle linkage on the carburetor which resulted in loss of engine power and a collision with a building.

12/8/2004 Trenton, NJ 1 minor, 1 uninjured
"The pilot's improper fuel management which resulted in fuel starvation and subsequent loss of engine power. A contributing factor to the accident was the pilot's inadvertent loss of airspeed."

11/30/2002 Bryant, WA 2 dead
A loss of engine power for undetermined reasons and the failure of the flying pilot to maintain flying speed resulting in an inadvertent stall, loss of control and subsequent collision with terrain.

9/7/2002 Bloomingburg, OH 1 serious
The pilot's inadvertent use of the fuel shutoff valve which resulted in a subsequent total loss of engine power due to fuel starvation.

10/3/2000 Chapin, SC 1 uninjured
"A total loss of engine power for undetermined reasons. A factor was the trees."

2/11/2000 Cumberland Gap, VA 2 dead
"The pilot's continued flight from visual flight rules into instrument meteorological conditions."

6/14/1999 Martinsburg, WV 1 uninjured
The air-intake's inner liner separating from its outer liner, which blocked airflow to the fuel servo, resulting in a loss of engine power. A factor in the accident was the owner/builder's inadequate inspection of the airplane.

2/11/1999 Bradenton, FL 1 minor
Total loss of engine power due to a burned piston for undetermined reasons resulting in a forced landing to unsuitable terrain and the subsequent crash landing onto a golf course.

4/3/1993 Coatesville, PA 1 minor, 1 uninjured
IMPROPER ADJUSTMENT SETTING OF THE PROPELLER PITCH CHANGE MECHANISM AND/OR PROPELLER GOVERNOR OUTPUT PRESSURE, WHICH RESULTED IN A LOSS OF POSITIVE THRUST AND A FORCED LANDING.

Its hard for anyone just taking off but seems if you leave the pattern you should have altitude to glide some where.

Granted it has been years since I have been down there (not since my dad's uncle who retired in the area died back in the mid-1990s) but if memory serves, the location they describe for the crash is like an eighth of a mile from the water and maybe a quarter to half mile from the departure threshold of RWY 22. Chances are he was trying for the water if he had time to do much of anything at all.

Last edited:
Anything that will come near parity in the HP:Kts ratio is going to be a poor glider.

Back