Seattle!

arnoha

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
arnoha
So, going to Seattle (landing Renton) at the start of July. I've got a few days. Have to attend a wedding one day, but otherwise pretty free.

What's a scenic flight I can take? Seattle has a huge aviation history and, surprisingly, it's my first time there. So, I'm unfamiliar with the area. What's an easy-to-fly tour to take?

Weather is a question any time of the year in the Northwest, but the beginning of July is usually the start of the best flying weather. If weather is good, head out to the San Juan Islands -- Orcas Island is my favorite; Friday Harbor is very popular (a little too crowded for my taste). Roche Harbor is fun, too.

Do ... not ... miss ... the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field.

We fly out to Friday Harbor for dinner each year from the Arlington fly-in. Look forward all year. Those museums are terrific!

Olympic Loop
Go down to around TIW then west to HQM up the coast around Neah Bay east to 0S9 then back to Renton
I did that loop in the opposite direction from Paine Field last summer, and it was spectacular!

So, going to Seattle (landing Renton) at the start of July. I've got a few days. Have to attend a wedding one day, but otherwise pretty free.

What's a scenic flight I can take? Seattle has a huge aviation history and, surprisingly, it's my first time there. So, I'm unfamiliar with the area. What's an easy-to-fly tour to take?
Pretty much any direction you fly from there is going to be great scenery. Mount Rainier is very worthwhile, and very close!

Weather is a question any time of the year in the Northwest, but the beginning of July is usually the start of the best flying weather. If weather is good, head out to the San Juan Islands -- Orcas Island is my favorite; Friday Harbor is very popular (a little too crowded for my taste). Roche Harbor is fun, too.

Do ... not ... miss ... the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field.

:yeahthat:

Have not been there recently but the Jefferson County airport near Port Townsend was a thriving GA center and had a great little cafe. Port Townsend is an old Victorian age seaport at the entrance to Puget Sound and a lot of Microsoft money had gone into restoring some of the mansions from that era into B&Bs. Neat place to fly in and overnight.

Great advice. Keep it coming! So much to do...wish I had more time. Only have 5 nights.

Columbia River Gorge. Down south a bit but not real far. You could work this in on your up from or back to San Jose. At Hood River is the Western Antique Aeroplane and Automobile Museum at 4S2. This is not a collection of just a few planes and cars, there are hundreds and they are restored, not junk. The Gorge should be spectacular this year, wet winter, lots of runoff, the falls will be in their glory. Google Columbia river Gorge and the museum. At PAE is the Boeing tour. It's a good one. You may be staying close by and it's an easy drive but you can fly in to. There's a ramp out back, you go to the door, pick up the phone and someone comes down and lets you in the back door. Mount Saint Helens. It's a cool view to see a mountain that blew its top and went from 9677ft to 8363ft in a few seconds and the crater it left.
There is a forum like this one, pacificnorthwestflying.com. Register and tell them you're flying up and looking for things to do. It's not real active anymore but you'll get good local knowledge. There is a Facebook group called wings over the northwest or something like that. Ask about and find it if you do Facebook.
If the weather cooperates you are in for some spectacular flying. The Seattle area has it all, mountains, rivers, oceans, islands

Seattle Seaplanes, go to Harvey (S43) and get some champ time, go to Jeffco and get some pie

Do the Boeing-Tour!

When we were in Seattle two years ago we rented a plane (ridiculously expensive!!) and did a tour over the islands North of Everett. The following day we did a tour over Seattle and passed the Space Needle. Enjoy - it's a gorgeous area!

One of the many islands!

G0016152_S(1).jpg

Returning back to Everett - Mt. Rainier in the background

P1110888_S.jpg

Downtown Seattle and the Space Needle

P1130981_NS.jpg

Hard to get bad pictures up there!
The deck where we eat at Friday harbor.No Tail.jpg Friday Harbor.jpeg

I was wondering why no one was responding to my thread...then realized I forgot to request to watch it! (Why is that not a default for threads you start yourself?)

Those pics are amazing.

What is the Boeing Tour? Is it like the Bay Tour here?

I think the Boeing tour is a tour of the Everett plant?
https://www.viator.com/Seattle-attr...light-Center-tours-tickets/d704-a1318?pref=02

I've flown over and along Everett but never stopped. Would like to one day. Another good ride for newbies is from Bremerton airport (they have a restaurant) back toward Seattle there are a lot of navy ships along the Naval Base.

Renton is where, I believe, they assemble the 737. Saw the train loads of fuselages coming in there one visit. Remember that train derailed a couple years ago dumped a fuse or two in a river somewhere.

As noted the Museum of Flight at BFI is terrific!

Wow!!! I live here, and I have Never seen any place like that!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^
soooo where is that??? ^^^^^^^^^^

San Juan islands. Start researching. very easy to get there from Renton, but you'll need to mind the airspaces you're flying underneath and watch the Whidbey C that you'll either have to fly over, through or around.

Olympic Loop
Go down to around TIW then west to HQM up the coast around Neah Bay east to 0S9 then back to Renton
doing that tomorrow! I'll let you know (though we're going to fly it counterclockwise so we can do breakfast at 0S9

Back