Seattle Avionics Software 4.0 Users

Larryo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Larryo
All,

SA introduced their 4.0 software this past week and was showing it off and Sun n Fun. While it added a lot of features and is suppose to be 50x faster, I've had nothing but problems and went back to the previous version.

First of all, I'm running it on a 1G Pent Motion 1300 and it's the only software running.

I find it extremely slow, constantly redrawing.

I can't find a way to print Lo altitude charts, and they couldn't either at the show. I wish to print landscape on 11x17 for a wide format so I have some width to my routing. Couldn't even do it in 8.5x11.

Winds Optimize feature doesn't show the winds or the ground speed at any altitudes, and it's not consistent. I ran it a few times and it optimized the altitude between FL210 and 4000 feet.

Help is poor. Did a search for weather (which is doesn't show) and got so much it was useless. Still, no weather.

I could go on, but wondering if others are having problems and possible solutions.

I like the company and have used their approach plates for years. While it's been slow, it has worked. I've never been able to get their Glass Map to work and the Flight Planning has be awkward.

I also run Anywhere and RMS FlightSoft. While not as sophisticated, they are light years faster. The same flight planning on RMS takes less than 1 sec and 2 sec on Anywhere.

My goal is to be able to print a "trip kit" of Lo altitude charts (Anywhere doesn't do this) and have a back up map. RMS has the charts but fair quality, and awkward printing features.

Thoughts?

What computer system are you using? All I'm getting from that is it's a Pentium processor. Possibly a Pentium 1?

What computer system are you using? All I'm getting from that is it's a Pentium processor. Possibly a Pentium 1?

Kenny,

Computer is a Motion 1300k, 1 gig processor, Pentium(r) M, 1 gig ram.

It's an older computer and there's been issues with it, mainly the Windows OS. I've given up on using it for XM weather, but has been fairly reliable for plates and a back up map source.

Goal is to print the Lo Altitude charts (for a paper backup) and have the computer for an electronic back up for maps and charts.

It works fairly well with one or two apps running at one time, plates and/or RMS or Anywhere, and couples to a GPS for a moving map, but I rarely use that. I also use it for JPI downloads. It's only an aviation computer for me.

Thoughts?

Larryo....I will say this, you do know the 4.0 out right now is a Beta right?

I do find it a LOT faster, and it seems smooth, though given its beta status there are definitely some glitches.

Kenny,

Computer is a Motion 1300k, 1 gig processor, Pentium(r) M, 1 gig ram.

<snip>

Thoughts?
It's time for an upgrade. You've probably had that rascal for a long time. Heck, I have an eMachines P-IV, 2Ghz desktop that's been running since mid-2002 that's only had the OS reloaded a few times.

You can move up without a huge amount of expense. Just stick with a reputable brand and even more reputable reseller. Avoid the Circuit City's and Best Buys. Throw in some extra memory and a lot of your problems should be solved.

Larryo....I will say this, you do know the 4.0 out right now is a Beta right?

I do find it a LOT faster, and it seems smooth, though given its beta status there are definitely some glitches.

tdager,

I was under the impression that it was released to all of us as non beta (is that correct terminology... a REAL release, not a test), at Sun n Fun where I spend some time with them.

I asked several questions, most that SA folks could not answer and I went back for answers later, some I never got.

I find the planning unuseable because it's so slow. And numerous features that don't work. Like the fuel cost, alt opt, airport IDs, weather, etc. BUT, it could be my computer.... I don't know.

As for plates, it's about the same speed as the older version....still slow, but works.

What computer are you using? Do you have any problems getting fuel prices.... zoom in on LAL and see if you get prices for BOW, LAL and ZPH. They use Anywhere's fuel database, I believe and all of those are in the data.

Also, once you enter a flight plan... ie dep, dest for perhaps a 500 mile trip, how long does it take to draw it? Mine takes about 3 or 4 minutes. Just did on from PIE to MLK, took over 4 min. Something ain't right.....

It's time for an upgrade. You've probably had that rascal for a long time. Heck, I have an eMachines P-IV, 2Ghz desktop that's been running since mid-2002 that's only had the OS reloaded a few times.

You can move up without a huge amount of expense. Just stick with a reputable brand and even more reputable reseller. Avoid the Circuit City's and Best Buys. Throw in some extra memory and a lot of your problems should be solved.

Kenny,

I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade right now. Even though my computer is old (3yrs) by computer standards, the current options aren't a huge improvement and they are just as expensive.... in the $2K + range when you add some options.
I won't go back to Motion because of poor customer support and heating problems (not mine, but others).

Now one DOES need a sunlight (and nighttime) readable unit that's not too cumbersome in the cockpit.

The Fujistu 1620 looks good, but only 1.2gig speed, 40 gig hard drive and .5 ram so one has to add a lot to that one. Everything else is a step down or very expensive. The Q1 cheap, but small processor and SA said it probably wonldn't work, AirGators NavPads look interesting, but at $4500 a pop it's a commitment. The LS800 has heating problems and it isn't cheap either.

So, there's not a lot of choices and the ARE expensive. Heck, mine was over $4K three years ago and it probably worthless today. That's a lot of depreciation.

Eventually I'll get a new one, but I'd like to see some solutions first. I wouldn't upgrading some features on mine, if that will help. However, as well as Anywhere and RMS run, I may just stick with them for now. I like SA and would really like it to work. Don't have the answer.

I have been running 4.0 for a week or so now. I have had no problems with it I am running it on a dual-core Pentium. The drawing of flight plans has been very quick as compared to the old Voyager. I have not tried printing out the LO charts.

I like the new version and I do believe it is no longer in Beta test. They do tell you that it has to be a fresh install. It may be the machine it is running on that is the problem.

They allow installation on more than one machine. I would load it on another, better machine and try it out. My other computer runs it well and is a slower model.

David

...... I have not tried printing out the LO charts.

......They do tell you that it has to be a fresh install. .....

David,

I didn't do a fresh install, thx, I'll try that. If you do print the LO charts, post a pirep. I'd like to be able to print them landscape on 11x17 to get a wide chart (for deviations, etc).

LarryO,

I downloaded L-29 and when the program went to display it, crashed. Upon restart, I went into the chart viewer, opened it and it was fine.

I proceeded to print preview and then print it. It printed fin on regular 8.5 by 11 paper.

I hope you are able to figure your problem out. Keep us posted.

David

LarryO,

I downloaded L-29 and when the program went to display it, crashed. Upon restart, I went into the chart viewer, opened it and it was fine.

I proceeded to print preview and then print it. It printed fin on regular 8.5 by 11 paper.

I hope you are able to figure your problem out. Keep us posted.

David

David,

Just got a note from John Rutter (CEO of SA) saying that I need an upgrade for my video card, which I'll do. One thing I like about SA is they really do try and to get a response from the CEO on his way back from SnF is excellent....

I am really impressed they got back to you so soon. That is great. I agree, they seem to have some good customer service as I had some issues a long time ago. I really like their software. Even with the little issues it has, I think it is the best thing going for flight planning.

Too bad the fix will cost you some money, but at least you know now what is wrong. Will you be getting a new card or computer? Which is cheaper?

Keep me posted.

David

David,

Just got a note from John Rutter (CEO of SA) saying that I need an upgrade for my video card, which I'll do. One thing I like about SA is they really do try and to get a response from the CEO on his way back from SnF is excellent....

I am really impressed they got back to you so soon. That is great. I agree, they seem to have some good customer service as I had some issues a long time ago. I really like their software. Even with the little issues it has, I think it is the best thing going for flight planning.

Too bad the fix will cost you some money, but at least you know now what is wrong. Will you be getting a new card or computer? Which is cheaper?

Keep me posted.

David

David,

I'll most likely get the card, I don't know the cost but can't imagine it would be too expensive. I'd even upgrade the processor and HD if there were good options. I'm not ready for $2 to 4K for a new one, yet.

The Motion 1300 is basically the same as a Gateway Tablet PC. How upgradeable is it? I don't see anything on their site about upgrading the video card.

The Motion 1300 is basically the same as a Gateway Tablet PC. How upgradeable is it? I don't see anything on their site about upgrading the video card.
Ahhh... no wonder it's so dang slow and so expensive. Ya can't have a fast processor on those or battery life would be non-existent.

I had never even heard of Motion Computing before Larry's issue.

Ahhh... no wonder it's so dang slow and so expensive. Ya can't have a fast processor on those or battery life would be non-existent.

I had never even heard of Motion Computing before Larry's issue.

Kenny,

Motion has been extremely popular in cockpit EFBs. There's a ton of them out there and for a while, most of the software vendors offered them including Seattle.

However, they had some problems, the popular LS800 which was approach plate sized had bad heating problems. And the Motion customer support is horrible. I've fought with them enough and one year had the unit back 5 or 6 times under warranty and they tried to snake out of it. I'd NEVER have another, but has a supurb display.

Back