Searching photos by location and time window

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Let's say I wanted to search the Internet/social media for any photos that have been posted that were taken in a certain location radius, and between a certain time range.

1. Can it be done?

2. If it can't, what is the most credible way to describe how it would be done, sans a black box NSA scan?

In terms of really knowing the date and location of the image, it would be stored internally in the EXIF data. If it still exists, and if the shooter had a GPS location. I strip out all EXIF data before posting anything of mine!
In terms of a Google or Dogpile or whatever search, you can see what their search engines will do directly. At best you may be able to get a range of dates posted instead of dates taken.
"Goodyear blimp airship Akron, OH 1960" will get you much more in Google than in Bing. You can leave off the date and simply choose to get stuff from the last year, or whenever.

Yes, I am talking about really knowing the date and location of the images, in the internal metadata.

I'm not thinking Google.It is there on photos posted to FB, etc... so I'm thinking something more technical and intrusive.

Try Google search in a city or town, more information is better. I haven't tried to enter a latitude/longitude. EDIT: Lat/long search fails, the way I tried it.

On Flickr, I once wrote a script looking for "bear" and containing a geotag- it helped me to see where I could see bears using their maps. I've lost the script some years ago, and I don't know if smugmug (new owners) support this anymore.

What I really want is to JUST have some scripted search-bot look at the metadata in the photos for the location (lat/long) and the time, and pull out the relevant ones that way.

I don't actually plan on doing it, I just need a credible way to describe how it could be done, in twenty words or less.

What I really want is to JUST have some scripted search-bot look at the metadata in the photos for the location (lat/long) and the time, and pull out the relevant ones that way.

I don't actually plan on doing it, I just need a credible way to describe how it could be done, in twenty words or less.
You know you could just call her and ask her out :)

Back