Searching for STCs

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
One thing I've noted is that, aside from finding companies that have websites, it seems to be difficult to search for STCs that exist for aircraft. Specifically, I keep on dabbling around with the concept of wanting to add turbos to my plane when it comes time to do an overhaul (right engine has another 300-350 hours until it hits TBO).

I know, I could probably buy a turbo Aztec for less (or just go with something else altogether), but I've also done a lot of work on this plane and like it, so I want to look at all options in the interest of being thorough and get good cost ideas. I'm wondering if any such STCs exist and what's involved with them, and where I might look.

Thanks for any ideas/thoughts.

rut roh. ted has developed emotional attachment to his plane. say goodbye to your savings account. danger danger danger!

there is an STC to upgrade your IO-540s from RayJay

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/dd1403ab11dfce20862571aa004eecd2/$FILE/SA840WE.pdf

Thanks, Dave and Pete.

Dan: You're nuts. I love it. :D

Tony: Nah, I'm just looking at different options. There's a certain amount of "devil you know" here. I know my plane well and I know what I've done to it. Going out and buying, say, a Turbo D or Turbo E mode would probably involve me having to go through and do a bunch of the work I've done on my plane. I'm rather meticulous, and I've found a lot of other people aren't.

...but I'll bet it was for a big jet, not an Airknocker, because (IIRC) Aeronca made big thrust reversers as well as little airplanes for a time.

Ron,

I know. Aeronca is still in business building parts for various Transport Category aircraft.

It's fun to dream, though. :yesnod:

there is an STC to upgrade your IO-540s from RayJay

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/dd1403ab11dfce20862571aa004eecd2/$FILE/SA840WE.pdf

Checked out the RayJay website. I may have to give them a call, they do have a turbo STC for my Aztec. Wonder what exactly that involves changing or if they do get away with bolting it on and leaving the fuel system, mags, etc. intact. Most of our factory turbocharged setups use bigger fuel pumps, pressurized nozzles, and pressurized mags.

Well the STC talks about an IO 540-C4C5/C4B5 engine. you work at Lycoming so figuring out what the equipment suffix refers to ought to be relatively easy...

Aeronca is still in business building parts for various Transport Category aircraft.
I have flown an airplane with Aeronca TRs. I always vaguely wondered if it had anything to do with the small aircraft company but I was never curious enough to investigate.

The IO-540-C4B5 is the standard naturally aspirated Aztec engine, 250 HP @ 2575 RPM. That's what I have in there now. That's why I'm wondering about the conversion process.

Some of the early turbo Aztecs were a RayJay setup, but we made a different engine that was basically a turbocharged engine without the turbos. Worth some research. :)

I believe most of the Rayjay setups are Turbo Normalized so the changes the engine may be fairly minimal as you are basically just making the engine think it is running near sea level.

There may be some changes due to the increased intake temperatures.

Brian

Dammit Ted!

Now you got me looking for the Comanche! :mad: :D

Well, I gave the RayJay guys a call and talked to them about the STC. It's a pretty neat setup. Each engine has two turbos and two wastegates (mmm... twin-turbos). The wastegates are manual and controlled by a single vernier per side. It's pretty much a bolt-in that has the exhaust pieces, turbos, scavenge pumps, lines. Uses stock mags and fuel system. They use the same setup on just about all of the parallel valve 540s.

I don't know what airframe changes existed for the turbo Aztec besides the larger oil coolers (cowls are slightly different), but the engines had pressurized nozzles, a larger fuel pump (vane type instead of diaphragm), pressurized magnetos, and piston oil squirters. This setup adds a larger fuel pump (still diaphragm) but leaves the rest of the engine alone. Also, they don't have an STC for the D model Aztecs, only A through C. Since mine is a D, that would require me to get a 337 to accept it. Probably relatively straightforward, but may or may not be something they'd want to do.

Cost is estimated at something around $30-35k. About what I expected, probably more than I want to spend.

It's a nice thought exercise. Since I'd need a 337 anyway I'm less inclined to go with it. However that does make me want to do some research as to whether or not I could get turbo Aztec components put on...

Back