Searching for Robert Fisher...

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Well, ok, not searching. Meeting. :)

Carol and I decided that for my first day of vacation we'd fly to breakfast, so we headed out from MTN and over to HGR (for the XC PIC time) and then back to FDK where we dined at the Airways Cafe. GREAT breakfast and really good coffee. :D

Then we wandered over to AOPA and on a whim I asked if Robert Fisher was in, and he graciously came out to meet us. What a nice guy! :) Had a good time just chatting for a few minutes - just wanted to meet him in person and introduce myself since I was in the neighborhood. We basically talked tech for a couple minutes in the lobby and then Carol and I let him go back to work. :eek:

I didn't realize how young he was - of course he probably looks younger than he is... but still you know you get a mental picture of someone in your head and when you meet them for real it rarely matches up. After 5+ years of meeting people for the first time that I've known on the net for months I shouldn't be surprised anymore but...there it is. :rolleyes:

The weather on the way out was GORGEOUS! 10+ miles visibility and not a cloud in the sky and smooth as glass. But coming back from FDK to MTN was a bit rougher - it had started warming up and the winds had picked up. Poor Carol had a bit of a rough time, but held up well, and we've been through much worse. :redface:

Got back in and frantically tried to call the person on the schedule after me to let him know where the plane was parked (our hangar is OTS for repairs and so we're parking in transient parking or in the shared hangar) only to find out he hadn't gotten around to canceling his reservation online yet. :mad:

Note to anyone who rents or uses a flying club - if you decide not to go, make sure you clear the schedule ASAP. It's just common courtesy. :yes:

All in all a beautiful day to fly! :)

Sounds like a nice flight! My weekly comes tomorrow. Solo after several months of lessons!

Chuck,

Glad you had a chance to finally meet Robert. I hope I get the chance someday as well.

p.s.... everybody looks young these days :(

Greebo said:
I didn't realize how young he was - of course he probably looks younger than he is... :)

When you're old everybody looks young ;)

gibbons said:
Glad you had a chance to finally meet Robert. I hope I get the chance someday as well.
Last year I had the pleasure of meeting Robert at Oshkosh. What a great guy! Wish we could get him to come to Gaston's. :)

Chuck,
It was great to meet you and your wife yesterday. I will be glad to talk with any member (or non-member) who stops by the office, or while I am out at a show.

And, I just look younger than I am :D
Robert

inav8r said:
And bring the commander! Now that'd make me get there for sure! :D

Sorry, not only am I not allowed to fly it, I am not qualified. My certificate is helicopter only, no fixed wing. B)

Robert said:
Sorry, not only am I not allowed to fly it, I am not qualified. My certificate is helicopter only, no fixed wing. B)

You work for AOPA, and you haven't fixed that critical deficiency yet? :D

I would definitely be working on ratings on the company ticket even more than I do now were I a minion of AOPA.

Jim G

grattonja said:
You work for AOPA, and you haven't fixed that critical deficiency yet? :D

I would definitely be working on ratings on the company ticket even more than I do now were I a minion of AOPA.
I was surprised at what I considered a very small number of pilots among EAA employees.

Ken Ibold said:
I was surprised at what I considered a very small number of pilots among EAA employees.
Hey, take it easy on Robert. They don't pay that all much at the association.... An R22 counts, too.

Robert said:
Sounds like you could use some dual XC time in the commander then! :yes:

Robert,

I thought I remember hearing that AOPA had a benefit or policy for reimbursement on flight training for employees.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Robert,

I thought I remember hearing that AOPA had a benefit or policy for reimbursement on flight training for employees.

Len

Yes there is, and I have used it to fly in /shudder fixed wing airplanes, I even soloed a 172, but have never taken a check ride. But, I'll stick with my helicopters.
Robert

Robert said:
Yes there is, and I have used it to fly in /shudder fixed wing airplanes, I even soloed a 172, but have never taken a check ride. But, I'll stick with my helicopters.

You know the transition doesn't take that long...actually a lot less then many, many people think.

:goofy:

Len

Back